Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

American Legion Vso Representative

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

American Legion VSO Representative told me although that being a member of the American Legion is not required for services, I decided I should join. As my claim is hanndled through them, it wil look better as I am now a member. I really don't have cash for much, but feel it can't hurt to be a member. Especially since my life is in their hands in this VA disability claims process and them helping me. It was $25.00 for 1 year.

I would like to know if anyone else has doent he same thing. My claim in the 1990's was through Puple Hearts. There was no membership of any kind, well actually there was, but don't remember thinking about joining it.

I hate being a leach, as these organizations do a lot for veterans. While I was stationed at some bases, I would go in for a drink, a dance, or just some fun.

Just any thoughts on memberships in these organizations and getting the help they offer. Btw, I don't go anywhere, as I am to sick, but I fell I will get my moneys worth. A lawyer probably won't give me as much help anyways. I can bug these guys with constant questions and walk in. Plus they are local.

Edited by retiredat44

• HadIt.com Elder

If my VSO started talking abou spirtual matters I would look around for a new VSO. Nobody's business about my spirtual life. Sky Pilot by the Animals is about as spirtual as I get. I have used the AL, VFW and DAV and been disappointed by all except for the Red Cross who did my discharge review hearing 40 years ago. VFW told the VA my problem was a personality disorder. That really helped me.

• HadIt.com Elder

"VFW told the VA my problem was a personality disorder."

You gotta be kiddin' me. Please tell me you are................?

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know what started this thread, but, to carry on a bit further--

My experience with the VSO's from the non profits and the State DVA has not been that good.

As a result, I ended up having to hire a lawyer, since the "service organization" reps considered their task as submitting the initial paperwork only.

The followup and details are the veteran's problem according to them.

As a result of the lawyer--

Additional "low balled" award for ~18k (NOD already filed), originally denied.

At least two CUE claims for previously denied claims in process.

Additional award in process "Deferred" (twice now by the VARO) for an additional problem at 100% (schedular)

Although I am a DAV & VFW member, I cannot say that ether organization has been of any real help.

• HadIt.com Elder

active duty Army units are using religion more now than at any time in the past I went into the PX at Fort Jackson a couple of years ago and the main aisle where they use to have the expensive stuff like the huge TVs, stereos, computers etc had been converted to a book center a faith based book center not the Mack Bolans or WEB Griffens type books that soldiers read and not bibles but the whole gamut of books from religious writers and from what my son told me about basic church services are more than encouraged now lord knows many of us found religion in foxholes but I didn't have a squad leader a platoon sergeant or a company 1SG or Company Commander ordering me to attend services either or make my promotions based on my ability to lead my troops in prayer

if this is now moving into veterans affairs offices in order to get representation then it is time for someone to really say enough is enough the rep who did it should be retrained on what "their" job is processing compensation claims not pushing religious beliefs everyone has their right to worship or not to worship it's part of the 1st amendment yes there is a place for religion in life even in govt at appropriate times prayer breakfasts I have my own religious beliefs but I never even pushed them on my children let alone my troops promotions and benefits should not be based on what someone notes in your file or how they then decide to work your claim

like politics I think religion has no place in official govt offices and boards like these budda, Jesus, Mohhamed, Aqua Budda etc it has no place and no bearing on people in government buildings doing their jobs

• HadIt.com Elder

Larry

Back in the 80's I had claimed an increse for depression and anxiety and used the VFW. On appeal to the BVA the VFW argued that I was severely disabled due to a personality disorder. My claim was denied. I did not really understand what happened. I was busy trying to survive.

• HadIt.com Elder

Larry

Back in the 80's I had claimed an increse for depression and anxiety and used the VFW. On appeal to the BVA the VFW argued that I was severely disabled due to a personality disorder. My claim was denied. I did not really understand what happened. I was busy trying to survive.

:blink: ................I never cease being amazed! Here I am, as old as I am, and am STILL amazed on occasion! The very LAST THING that you want the VA to hear about you is the DREADED "personality disorder"!