Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

American Legion Vso Representative

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

American Legion VSO Representative told me although that being a member of the American Legion is not required for services, I decided I should join. As my claim is hanndled through them, it wil look better as I am now a member. I really don't have cash for much, but feel it can't hurt to be a member. Especially since my life is in their hands in this VA disability claims process and them helping me. It was $25.00 for 1 year.

I would like to know if anyone else has doent he same thing. My claim in the 1990's was through Puple Hearts. There was no membership of any kind, well actually there was, but don't remember thinking about joining it.

I hate being a leach, as these organizations do a lot for veterans. While I was stationed at some bases, I would go in for a drink, a dance, or just some fun.

Just any thoughts on memberships in these organizations and getting the help they offer. Btw, I don't go anywhere, as I am to sick, but I fell I will get my moneys worth. A lawyer probably won't give me as much help anyways. I can bug these guys with constant questions and walk in. Plus they are local.

Edited by retiredat44

Well been a American Legion member going on 11 years now. I joined not for a vso but for the things our local post does for the community and there were finally starting to get younger vets there. I have a NSo for them that was amazing in his organization skills once I tracked him down in Washington for my Appeal but I did all the leg work myself. I already told him next step if denied by board/amc I am dumping it on a lawyer cause I am tired fighting the Va after 17 years and will gladly give them 20% of retro if they have a good track record and outcome.

• HadIt.com Elder

The good VSO's are often overwhelmed by success. Except for my current SO and a couple of others there was no personal relationship and very little help either.

Like it or not and despite that VA likes to maintain a myth that VSO's are a big help to Veterans the claims is yours and yours only win or lose.