Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Being 100% P/t

Rate this topic

stillhere

Thanks guys/dolls I guess I will have to live with it and try and ignore.

I need to find something I can do that will help me snap out of this. Even the thought of volunteering gives me fear.

I always thought that all would be fine and hunky dory after I reached this level and just needed to take care of myself!

I hope spring will bring a better out look on life!

Thanks again!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

there is nothing that makes it all "better" the days go by and the months pass as do the years the only satisfaction is out living the doctors "guesstemates" they told me my bypass would be good for 15 years they lied 3 months later I had my next heart attack that was in 97 by June 2002 I was totally disabled they then told me the average life expectancy for congestive heart failure was 10 years I have also surpassed that so my goal now is to cash as many of the SSD and VA checks as I possibly can for years to come and every month is a new victory I didn't ask for this to happen it is what it is none of us can change our disabilities

many people "friends" and even family sometimes seem to get their noses out of joints that they see many of us getting too much money and they get jealous and it seems to cause problems the less said to anyone tends to be the best route

Stillhere,

Aren't the people on here great for putting things into perspective?

I personally am waiting for my 100% PTSD with Major Depression to turn into an award by the SSDI folks. I will eventually be in your position and I know that I will be facing a shameful-joy emotional battle when I win. Facts are facts, and everyone here knows that these awards are not just handed out to anyone. I am sure that my reaction will probably be a mix of many of the suggestions on this thread.

I fully intend to embrace the VA disability as a source of pride, and help others get to where they need to be. I will most likely never share the Social Security Disability victory with the general public or most family and friends.

Like it or not, VA disability used to have a stigma that I have watched fade over the years. I agree it should never have been there, and I feel the only way for me to help it disappear completely from our society is to educate the ignorant, appreciate the ones who get it, and humiliate the ones who never will. We bore the weight of freedom that every American enjoys, and no matter if the wounds are visible or not, we carry them for the rest of our lives.

I read this somewhere else, but I can't remember where: There are only 2 entities who have agreed to give their life for you. Jesus Christ and your military.

The social security disability component is one that I just can't expect too many others to have any other reaction than jealousy as Testvet points out.

I have heard others suggest that we just say "I'm retired" and leave it at that. The "good investments" path is good too, I think I may use that one with your permission of course, Carlie?

Bottom line is follow your own heart and do what makes you comfortable. These suggestions are burned into my thoughts as I am still moving to the goal you have already reached.

You have earned it more than enough times to finally be getting it :wink:

Ruski

• HadIt.com Elder

I hate to burst your bubble but SSD is no country club. The long and short of it is that whatever you get your earned or paid the insurance for and don't need to explain.

Some look at the income differently you are after all not able to work you are retired just at an earlier age.

The real point is that when you live on a check like we do we have to adapt our lives to fit it. Can't expect any raises every year anymore and will worry about what is going to happen next but no matter what we are survivors and most here will do just fine.

So my advice is no one here has a thing to apologize for except the VA for taking so long to do the right thing by Veterans

Think about all the people (veterans as well) who have mental and internal disabilities not visible. Think about all you had to go through to get those benefits. They aren't just handed out. You had to fight for them. Try to relax and be thankful you are able to support yourself. Do something good for yourself. Get out take a trip, find a hobby etc. Good luck.

• HadIt.com Elder

I try to keep my personal business to my self - as I too have experienced similar

responses. I just don't bring it up. If someone ask me I tell them that I made

some good investments early in life.

Sometimes people, even family members, will try to use information against you.

It's no ones business and I think sometimes we just give out TMI.

Don't let them get to you - you earned whatever you have.

My thoughts exactly.

Rock On Carlie.

J

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use