Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Contact The Va During An Emergency

Rate this question

captain soggy

Question

example: Let' say I have an illness that requires me to go to a civilian hospital ER. How do I contact the VA to let them know I went to the ER and I am being admitted to the hospital for an emergence surgery. I know I am suppose to contact them as soon as possible but what department do I call?

Also should I call the finance dept.so they know they are going to get a billing from the hospital as my only insurance is the VA?

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I assure you that MOST hospitals that have a VA Medical Center anywhere close by, they KNOW THE NUMBER at the VA. I assure you that, if there has EVER been a VAMC-covered veteran admitted to any of these "civilian" hospitals, that the admitting office knows how, what, when and where to contact the VA (provided, of course, that's if they want to get paid).

The VA cannot and WILL NOT insist that, in a life-or-death situation, that the EMS by-pass the nearest ER and take the vet out-of-the-way just to get the vet to the VAMC. And, that is what they will tell the first responders.

• HadIt.com Elder

...........but, you darn well better be at Death's door, first!

About 2 years ago, I thought I was having a heart attack. Wife called VAMC. They said they were "diverting patients" because they were full. They authorized "fee basis" care, right then and there. I did not have a problem getting them to pay.

Therefore:

I recommend: Get an authorization from your VAMC BEFORE you do fee basis...even in an emergency, your wife can give them a call WHILE SHE IS DRIVING YOU TO THE HOSPITAL. THEN GET THE NAME AND PHONE NUMBER OF THE PERSON AUTHORIZING IT. (BECAUSE YOU KNOW THE va IS GOING TO TRY TO WEASEL OUT OF IT..THEY ALWAYS DO)

• HadIt.com Elder

You know there are two VAMC's within 30 miles of me, and yet the VAMC very often tells EMS to take the vet to the nearest hospital in an emergency. I don't know why they do that. I do know that even these vets often have to fight to get the VA to pay for the ER visit.

My wife has worked for a major hospital in Mpls. for over 10 years in the admission dept.There is NO question asking anything about Vet. status or if you are under VAMC care. 2nd: The VAMC told me it's up to the EMT (ambulance) if they decide to bring you to the V.A emergency or go to a local hospital ED once you're in their vehicle.

jeff10

• HadIt.com Elder

Everytime I've been seen at a hospital emergency room I've been asked if I'm a veteran. I guess there's always one. Sorry I forgot about Mpls! ;-)

pr

My wife has worked for a major hospital in Mpls. for over 10 years in the admission dept.There is NO question asking anything about Vet. status or if you are under VAMC care. 2nd: The VAMC told me it's up to the EMT (ambulance) if they decide to bring you to the V.A emergency or go to a local hospital ED once you're in their vehicle.

jeff10