Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Contact The Va During An Emergency

Rate this question

captain soggy

Question

example: Let' say I have an illness that requires me to go to a civilian hospital ER. How do I contact the VA to let them know I went to the ER and I am being admitted to the hospital for an emergence surgery. I know I am suppose to contact them as soon as possible but what department do I call?

Also should I call the finance dept.so they know they are going to get a billing from the hospital as my only insurance is the VA?

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I guess I'm trying to say,at least here, there is no "form",procedure,etc. so as to insure payment by the V.A. or to make the fact known on record. What I found hard to believe was that the ambulance service makes the judgement where to initially take you.Once in a private facility a day or two can really rack up a bill before they transfer you to a V.A.facility.

jeff10

• HadIt.com Elder

In Dallas they take you to the nearest Hospital that has room and will take you. Since the Dallas VAMC only takes patients on Bankers Hours not a good chance for me to go to VA in an emergency but why would I want to?

• HadIt.com Elder

If I have a heart attack there is a major hospital within 5 miles of me. The VAMC is 15 miles away. Where am I going to go? I will go to Tampa General Hospital that is state of the art hospital for cardiac problems not the VA. I was told that the EMS people ask if they should take vets to VAMC and the VAMC detours them to private hospitals in my area. Now I have been hurt by private doctors, but I do not want to go to the VAMC if I am dying. I know that my VAMC has gotten in trouble for doing too many open heart surgeries on inappropriate patients. It is a teaching hospital with a university medical school next door. The VA is overrun with medical students, interns and resisdent from USF next door.

• HadIt.com Elder

I spent about 10 yrs in EMS, as an ambulance service owner/operator, active EMT/basic and advanced EMT instructor, back in the 80's, and generally the EMT's will take you to the nearest hospital that has an open ER/ED. Most insurances require it. The hospitals generally stabilize the patient and then tranfer, if necessary. All hospitals try to use their own services prior to any transfer, thereby earning money for their hospital.

I, personally, wouldn't go to a VA hospital for an emergency. I'm 100% and if admitted, I'm sure to have social services/admitting contact the VA within 72 hrs. I have Medicare and would rather end up paying the copay out of my pocket than dying. jmo

pr

Don't go to the VA hospital in Tucson after hours. The emergency room door is locked and unmanned. You can press a busser, or call- no one shows up. I had a 5:30 am MRI appointment last year and was unable to get in as this was the only door accessible? Staff coming into work let me in.

And, since I am a military retiree and have Tri-care I always use a private hospital which is much closer. Show my retiree card(they know they are getting paid as I have a good insurance) They ask me if I have been seen there before, verify that I have-and I am admitted quickly.

The last hospital bill was over $5,000(was in the ER for 5 hours before being discharged) my co payment was 24.00. Still waiting to get billed for that, generally I don't even get a bill for this either. THe government only allowed 900.00 which is all they paid. I never mentioned I was a VEteran using the VA hospital. If I ever was admitted and I would be there for a while-then I may have them contact VA so I would't have to pay any other additional co-payments.

• HadIt.com Elder

You may be bleeding to death but the hospital wants your insurance information sooner rather than later. Who says human life is priceless? Your life is worth X number of dollars in any court in the land. Just sue for wrongful death and you will find out.