VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heat Exhaustion.

Rate this question

sawgunner

Question

Does the VA recognize injury such as heat exhaustion or heat stroke?

I did not have a stroke but went down for heat exhaustion twice and I remember being told that I would allways be suseptible to heat injury in the future.

I have never seen it addressed here and was just wondering.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

in my va medical files my treating military doctor said in his report that i had heat exhaustion in summer NG training, and a few months later i was still suffering major side effects of heat and my NG captain directly stated in his report i was suffering from residual effects of heat stroke. so, my NG captain said i had residual effects of heat stroke, and the treating doctor said heat exhaustion. during my IME, dr. ellis stated in his exam/report that i sustained heat exhaustion/stroke or a combination of the two combined and dr. ellis listed about 6 things my attending doctor did wrong in treating me for the heat. i went to the BVA and the judge recently approved to remand about 9 of my claims, and i just got that package this week. 

anybody else have heat related injuries in service? and what type of residual effects do you suffer from? 

What residual ratable conditions did you claim and did Dr Ellis give a full medical rationale for them as due to the inservice heat stroke or heat exhaustion?

I'm now 70% Service-Connected combined for several SC disabilities - my TBI (40% rating) claim for heat stroke/brain trauma and multiple concussions while in heat stroke/brain trauma the Effective date is 2008. I have about 10-20 claims pending before the VA Appeals. My migraines are rated at 30%. So I will continue to march on from here towards maximizing my VA benefits.

dauzzo,

Thanks for posting and keeping us up to speed on your situation.

I was medevac'd out of Iraq in '03 with body temp of 105.8.  They packed me in ice and threw me in a copter and flew me to Kuwait City Hospital.  Twelve IV's, one in each arm.  A couple rough days and back to the front on day 4.

I started my claims with the VA in '08 when I got out, (they fired me, but that's a different story).  I have not been able to attribute anything health-wise to what had happened to me, but its in my VA health record just in case.

My long shot will be if they can link high body temperature to arthritis or my heart conditions, which is what most of my service connected conditions come from.

Keep plugging along.  I started a 30 in '09 and got to 90 in '18.  A jump every two-three years.

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

• HadIt.com Elder

Heat stroke I think would be an accepted condition. Heat exhaustion is more something you can recover from and be OK. I had it in Vietnam and even in Florida. Heat stroke will kill you. They usually medivac a guy with heat stroke because he is on the verge of death. I don't know what lasting damage heat stroke causes besides death.

If there is proof of eat stroke in service and proof of a current documented disability directly due to the heat stroke, then VA would service connect the heat stroke.