Jump to content
  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  •  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

  • 0
Sign in to follow this  

Total And Permanent Service Connected Disability Additional Benefits


Total and Permanent Service Connected Disability Additional Benefits

Check your state benefits here

This is by no means an extensive list and we recommend calling the VA at 1-800-827-1000 with any questions about the following benefits.

Dental treatment

Educational Assistance for Dependents: (under chapter 35) Veteran Must be rated 100% and permanent and total by the VA.

Civilian health and medical program for dependents/survivors (CHAMPVA) Veteran Must be rated 100% and permanent and total by the VA.

Specially Adapted Homes:

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grants

The following is an abbreviated description of the requirements for obtaining an SAH Grant. For more information or an application, visit http://www.homeloans.va.gov/sah.htm or contact your local VA Regional Office at 1-800-827-1000.

There are two types of grants which are available to help severely disabled veterans in adapting housing to their special needs.

1. Specially Adapted Housing Grant

The maximum amount of this grant is $50,000. It is available to veterans with service-connected permanent and total disability due to one of the three following conditions:the loss or loss of use of both lower extremities or, blindness in both eyes, having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one lower extremity or,loss or loss of use of one lower extremity together with other disabilities which precludes locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes or a wheelchair

2. Special Home Adaptations Grant

The maximum amount of this grant is $10,000. It is available to veterans with service-connected permanent and total disability due to one of the two following conditions:

blindness in both eyes with 5/200 visual acuity or less or,the loss or loss of use of both hands.

Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance: Decreasing term mortgage insurance up to $90,000 for veterans who have received a Specially Adaptive Housing grant and have an existing mortgage.

Waiver of cost of Service Disabled life Insurance: and additional $20,000 of life insurance at cost to veteran. Veteran must have applied for insurance within two years of initial disability rating or within two years of a new disability rating. An increase in a disability rating does not qualify as a new disability.

Commissary and Exchange privileges for veteran and dependants: The veteran must request a letter from the VA specifying veteran is in receipt of 100% disability, and then applies for a military ID card at the nearest ID card issuing facility.

Emergency treatment in non-VA facilities: if VA facilities are not available.

Annual Eye exams and prescribed eye wear

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

My VA does not do annual eye exams its every 2 years and to get new glasses there has to be a significant prescription change the cheap bastards

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Me, too, Pete. I had cataract surgery done by private doctor via medicare because VA would not do it. I had my teeth fixed by private dentist because the VA filed the same filling twice and made a mess of it. They pulled a perfectly good tooth and would not do an implant to replace it. I paid $3000 to do it. The glasses they gave me did not fit with one lense about half an inch thick. They are such cheap bastards I now use a private eye doctor.

I need neck surgery. I would cut my throat before I would use the VA for that service. The VAMC is the greatest little welfare hospital in Florida. I would not set foot in their ER in Tampa. There are a few good doctors in the system, but the system itself is like Vegas. Do you feel lucky? Well, do you, then use the VA for a major surgery.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Actually the Adapted Housing grant is almost $64,000 now , it goes up automatically every year now..........

The adaptive grant also goes up automatically now so it is also higher than $10K....

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • I filed for my mitral valve regurgitation heart disease secondary to a service-connected condition on 7-30-18. It was granted on 8-30-18. Since I filed for this heart valve issue and was awarded, can I still file for hypertension ? I have been seeing comments that you should file for hypertension first and file for heart disease as a secondary. Can I file for hypertension as a secondary to my heart disease ? I am alittle confused on this matter.

    • How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      • 5 replies
    • For Calculating Retro

      VA Disability Compensation Rates 2012 | 2011 | 2010-2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999

      Prior to 1999 check here https://www.hadit.com/va-disability-compensation-rates-historic-for-retro-calculation/
      • 0 replies
    • I am a 100% disabled veteran, At first I was super excited to find out I am getting retro pay for back benefits to 2006. But that was over 2 months ago. I been waiting and waiting and calling to ask them wheres my back pay. They first told me "one month" than I call again. The guy started reading a script of basically "we are malingering on paying you" type crap. I was wondering if there is any number I can call besides that 800-827-1000 number to inquire about my status. I don't know why its taken so long when there is specific information telling them from the judge that VA owes. 

      There was a remanded to see if I was eligible for IU (I get it now since 2014 im actually 90% with 10 of that been IU). I been on SS since 2004. Can Someone help me out? Thank you
      • 6 replies
    • You might have a 38 CFR 3.156 situation-

      meaning the VA might have considered your claim in 95/96 as "not well grounded" and failed to even get your STRs.Or they did get your STRs but never considered the specific entry you cited here.

      Lots of discussion under a search, of 38 CFR. 3.156 (a)(b) (c) ---here is a winner:



        • Thanks

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines