Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Knee Pain

Rate this question

renee

Question

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering if anyone can help direct me with this issue. I've been going to the VA since exiting the Army (1996) for treatment on several issues. Over the last 4-5 years my knee pain has increased dramatically. For the last 18 months I've been receiving steriods shots and given Motrin to help with the pain. Unfortunatley I have minimal relief with the Motrin and can only receive the steriod shot every 6-8 months. The VA doctors states I'm not old enough (38 years old) for knee replacement. They also gave me a knee brace and I've been wearing that for a couple of years too. I cannot walk on a treadmill for 15 mins without my entire leg from my knee down to my ankle swells and hurts like heck. I have not yet filed a claim for this condition. Should I contact my representative at this point and start the claim process? I feel so old not being able to run, walk or excercise to keep myself in any type of shape. Your input is appreciated.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The longer you wait the more hoops to jump to win a claim. From your description it sounds like you should file a claim.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering if anyone can help direct me with this issue. I've been going to the VA since exiting the Army (1996) for treatment on several issues. Over the last 4-5 years my knee pain has increased dramatically. For the last 18 months I've been receiving steriods shots and given Motrin to help with the pain. Unfortunatley I have minimal relief with the Motrin and can only receive the steriod shot every 6-8 months. The VA doctors states I'm not old enough (38 years old) for knee replacement. They also gave me a knee brace and I've been wearing that for a couple of years too. I cannot walk on a treadmill for 15 mins without my entire leg from my knee down to my ankle swells and hurts like heck. I have not yet filed a claim for this condition. Should I contact my representative at this point and start the claim process? I feel so old not being able to run, walk or excercise to keep myself in any type of shape. Your input is appreciated.

I'm guessing your probably in your late 30's or 40's and I can say it is only gonna get worse. The only good thing is you'll be able to forecast cold spells about a week in advance. I've had bad knees for 40 years and you'll be amazed how many things they will affect over time. First thing is the steroids are bad on your heart the longer you have them done. The motrin is going to screw up your liver and kidneys. The VA hasn't offered to do surgery on your Knees? If they have jump on it it at all possible. You heal faster when your young and hopefully you have some one to help take care of you while you heal. The older you get the more unstable your knees will make you. You have the history in your favor now to get some disability now and as time goes it will be easier to increase your disability %. I'm not an expert like most here are, but I'm learning alot fast by reading cases. Good luck! Mike

I would demand pain control, Mri, and a Sports Med Consult at a minimum. If your hospital does not have this in place your primary can make it happen anywhere in his network. I was also turned down twice for knee replacement.Went to sports med doc in Houston and had surgery to realign my bones without having to slice me open.I am not 100% recovered but I can walk like normal folk now.

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have a record of a knee injury in service? The longer you wait to file the more the VA is going to say this is just natural process of aging and that kind of crap, or they may try and blame it on some other event in your life. Be careful what you tell them about yourself. For instance, if you had an accident that involved your leg ever so slightly they will jump on that to say that is why your knee is shot now.

By what you said it's obvious you hurt your knee/knee's in service, since you been getting treatment for it right after your ETS date of 1996. I mean comeon, knee's doesn't go bad in a couple of week's, month's, in less you did have a bad accident after service! But that doesn't sound like it. Like John stated, is your knee injury mentioned in your SMR. I'm SC for my right knee, and I tell ya, THOSE KNEE BRACES ADDED TO THE PAIN OF MY KNEE! I tried the elastic ones but they kept slipping down or sideways putting more pressure on the kneecap. Then tried the metal braces. They didn't work completely either. You said that you been wearing the braces for a couple of years. I'm really surprised it hasn't come to the point they no longer work for you. Told the VA doc that I was fed up with all the pain and causing me to be depressed. He also told me I was to young at age 54 to have TKR done, but went ahead and okayed the surgery. But then again, I been dealing with this since 1976. FYI, the surgery didn't turn out so good. Still have alot of pain and buckleing when I stand or walk. Even when I sit, I get painful spasm's and have to walk it off. VA jumped my rating from 30 to 60% for an unsuccessful surgery. JMO, that's the chance you take when dealing with the VA Hosp. Like caubulldog said, try to get your ortho to subscribe Pain Management at your VA. They started me out with Hydrocodone and now on Oxycodone. My back is so screwed up now because of my adnormal gait over the years, they now have me on morphine and perc's. The bottom line renee, is tell your VA Doc that you sure as hell don't want to wait till the rest of your body get's out of adjustment and add's extra unneccessary pain and discomfort before they do surgery! That is, if that's what you want.

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!