VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Qtc Appointment Weight Of Dr Statement

Rate this question

Scott D

Question

I had an appointment with QTC yesterday to evaluate conditions that have worsened. How much weight does the QTC physician have? If he states that the symptoms have indeed worsened, is that all that is needed? Can the rating officer ignore his recommendation? I am a little concerned that I have switched insurance companies multiple times over the last three years, and I do not have any continuity in care and I do not want that to affect the outcome.

Thanks

Scott

Edited by Scott D

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA gives the C&P exam too much weight. If your QTC doctor says you are worse the VA will probably go along with that, but it really helps to have your own medical records to show that you are getting worse. If you think of a scale you want the weight of your positive evidence to hit the ground. You don't want to depend on benefit of doubt. Time is your enemy. If a claim has to go into appeals the years will roll by while you wait.

Get a copy of your C and P exam. Read it carefully. Note especially:

1 Did this doc give you a nexus? (Vetrans condition is at least as likely as not due to ....condition from military service)

2. Was the doc qualified and did he list his qualifications? He needs to have experience in the condtion for which he gave you a C and P exam.

3. Did he say he reviewed your medical records?

These are all good things to know. You can "attack" a defective C and P exam, especially on items 2 and 3, but, you probably dont want to do that if he gave you a nexus and favorable C and P exam. You attack NEGATIVE evidence, and the VA will have to try to attack favorable evidence.

The DR didn't seem too interested in conducting much of an exam. He was very interested in discussing my condition, Eosinophillic Esophagitis and how it had been or could be treated. We talked extensively about food allergies and the effect on the stricture. The food allergies were deemed not service connected by the VA a few years ago. In the end I wanted to concentrate on how symptoms have worsened and he said don't worry it is pretty clear they are much worse. I wasn't sure how to take this.

The EE had been service connected at 10% previously as a esophagus stricture.

Get a copy of the exam, read it and see what he wrote...then you know how to fight it and what areas to fight if it is not done in a manner to increase your award. Especially if your disability has increased.

The DR didn't seem too interested in conducting much of an exam. He was very interested in discussing my condition, Eosinophillic Esophagitis and how it had been or could be treated. We talked extensively about food allergies and the effect on the stricture. The food allergies were deemed not service connected by the VA a few years ago. In the end I wanted to concentrate on how symptoms have worsened and he said don't worry it is pretty clear they are much worse. I wasn't sure how to take this.

The EE had been service connected at 10% previously as a esophagus stricture.

It sounds like the C&P turned out in your favor, but never take that for granted. Do exactly what everyone below suggested, get a copy of the C&P and read it carefully. Some examiners will tell you the good points while neglecting to mention the not so good points. For instance, yes they have worsen but have they worsen enough to qualify for a higher rating according to the guidelines.

Edited by cooter

I had an appointment with QTC yesterday to evaluate conditions that have worsened. How much weight does the QTC physician have? If he states that the symptoms have indeed worsened, is that all that is needed? Can the rating officer ignore his recommendation?

Scott,

Your C&P exam was for the worsening of an already SC'd disability,

this would be a claim for increase.

Hopefully the examiner states more than "the symptoms have worsened".

The examiner needs to state something as to how the disability is currently effecting you.

to the schedule.

A post further up in the thread says "The EE had been service connected at 10% previously as a esophagus stricture."

I can not find a 10 % evaluation in the rating criteria for this corresponding Diagnostic Code.

Below is the criteria for percentage levels of compensation, for DC 7203 - Esophagus, stricture of:

7203 Esophagus, stricture of:

Permitting passage of liquids only, with marked

impairment of general health ............................ 80

Severe, permitting liquids only ............................. 50

Moderate .............................................................. 30

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/julqtr/pdf/38cfr4.114.pdf