Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

31 U.s. Troops Killed In Worst-Ever Afghanistan Incident

carlie

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

*** TRIGGERS ***

The SEALs were among 31 who died when their CH-47 Chinook helicopter was shot down by a missile fired by the Taliban during an attack against a Taliban compound in the village of Jaw-e-Mekh Zareen in the Tangi Valley in Wardak.

My prayers go out for these soldiers and their families.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello VYNC and Pete ...... I also think it was one of our left over Stingers from the Russian days. The news is saying RPG but I don't buy that and I also heard that it was because an Army Ranger unit had come under attack and lost one of its choppers and that possibly this was a rescue and that the Chinook was lifting off when it was hit.

Yes ,,,,,, much prayers for these families. I will be with a family next week whos son is leaving for Seal School next Month. This will be a most high priveledge for me. NEVER GIVE UP . God Bless, C.C.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know the U.S. lost over 7000 helicopters in Vietnam from all causes. When helicopters go into hot LZ's they become very vulnerable to all sorts of weapons including heavy machineguns, RPG, Rockets and even small arms fire. Plus helicopters fall out of the sky for all sorts of non-combat reasons. Flying among those moutains in Afghanistan is very dangerous. We should just declare victory and get the heck out of there instead of staying another 3 years so more guys can get killed for nothing. The Taliban and war lords will own Afghanistan when we leave even if we stay there ten more years.

• HadIt.com Elder

It is sad to lose a single soldier. I lost my cousin in Afghanistan in June. It hurts.

We have to understand why these people die. Mass casualties deaths are not common but they do happen. It is difficult to phamtom the losses suffered by the families.

Just think of the Fighting Sullivans who lost all 5 of their kids in WWII onboard the Juneau after it was torpedoed by a Japanese Sub off Guadalcanal.

That sinking as well as the indianapolis sinking killed a couple of thousand.

The Battleship Bismark sunk the British Battle Cruiser Hood with one shot and all but 3 people were Killed. Google Ted Griggs.

Anyway, it is sad to lose these folks so all we can do is to ensure they did not die in Vain.

J

*** TRIGGERS ***

31 U.S. Troops Killed in Worst-Ever Afghanistan Incident

http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/ViewNews/31_US_Troops_Killed_in_Worst_Ever_Afghanistan_Incident_110807

" America's elite Navy SEALs have again borne the worst of the Afghanistan war for the U.S. military, losing 22 commandoes on Saturday in the single deadliest day since the conflict began almost ten years ago.

The SEALs were among 31 who died when their CH-47 Chinook helicopter was shot down by a missile fired by the Taliban during an attack against a Taliban compound in the village of Jaw-e-Mekh Zareen in the Tangi Valley in Wardak. Others killed were three U.S. Air Force air controllers, seven Afghan Army troops, a dog and his handler, and a civilian interpreter, as well as the helicopter crew.

Most of the SEALS were part of Team 6, the same unit that killed Osama bin Laden. However, according to the Pentagon, none of the men killed over the weekend took part in the bin Laden raid. There is no way to confirm this because the U.S. has kept secret the names of the men involved in the bin Laden killing in order to protect them from direct retaliation.

Before Saturday's loss, America's single worst day in the Afghanistan war occurred on June 28, 2005, when another helicopter downing killed 16 Navy SEALs and U.S. Army special operations troops. Those commandoes died while on a mission to rescue four SEALs under attack by the Taliban. Three of the SEALs being rescued were also killed."

Having been in a helicopter crash and survived(lost all landing gear after slamming into a mt, and barely recovered on the way down) I cringe and share the pain every time I hear about another helicopter going down.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use