Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Suspected Overpay Or Pay Error

Rate this question

jattoffresno

Question

Hello Fellow Veterans,

I am new to this forum, and I ask therefore that you momentarily indulge any errors that might materialize.

I have been on virtually uninterrupted disability compensation (100%) since 1969 due to injuries received

in Vietnam while in combat. I use the word "virtually" judiciously since it was interrupted in error by the VA

about a year ago for a period of about a month before it was resolved, i.e., the va claimed that I had been

overpaid an enormous amount of money since I had allegedly failed to respond to a written questionnaire

addressing my current mailing status-- a request that I never received. In any event, with the assistance of

the OIG, the matter was quickly resolved in my favor.

Insofar as the instant problem is concerned, it is essentially thus: while I was reviewing my bank statements

today, 8.9.11, I noticed that there had been deposited into my account an amount of $716.00 on 23 August, 2011.

The notation on my bank statement was identical to my normal monthly deposit, to wit:

US Treasury 310 DES: xxVA BENEF ID: (my ss number) 00 62 INDN: (my name).

The amount, as mentioned supra, was for $716.00. The problem is that I have no idea what this deposit

is related to or why it was deposited to my account, and in light of the aforementioned faux pas by the

VA, I certainly do not want any time to pass without its resolution.

I have tried telephoning the VA at 800-827-1000, but all I receive is a menu of options, none of which

address my current problem and offering no human with whom to speak. I have tried googling the

internet under the general heading of "reporting suspected overpayment" and its assorted variations,

and I again have drawn a blank.

The only option that I have uncovered which might offer a resolution is the telephone number of

The Inspector General's office, but this appears to address a third party reporting the deliberate fraud

of another.

MY question then is this: does ANYONE know how to contact the VA by telephone and either

question the provenance of an electronic deposit or alternatively report an overpayment so that

it can be returned to the proper authority/department?

I very much appreciate your patience and indulgence with this fumbling correspondence.

Thank you.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Fellow Vets,

I feel like an idiot! Yes, the nature of my injuries were in part due to the loss of

both legs from a hand grenade. I had totally forgotten about the annual "clothing

allowance" that I receive.

Please, please, accept my most humble and abject apologies for intruding

and foolishly taking up your very valuable time, and thank you so very much

for your kind and courteous help.

You have a wonderful site herein, and from my readings provide an

incalculably valuable service to the veteran community.

talon,

No apology needed at all - I'm just glad to see the cash is truly

yours to enjoy and that your mind has been put at ease on this.

Thank you for all the sacrifices you have had to endure and your

service.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Hello Fellow Veterans,

I am new to this forum, and I ask therefore that you momentarily indulge any errors that might materialize.

I have been on virtually uninterrupted disability compensation (100%) since 1969 due to injuries received

in Vietnam while in combat. I use the word "virtually" judiciously since it was interrupted in error by the VA

about a year ago for a period of about a month before it was resolved, i.e., the va claimed that I had been

overpaid an enormous amount of money since I had allegedly failed to respond to a written questionnaire

addressing my current mailing status-- a request that I never received. In any event, with the assistance of

the OIG, the matter was quickly resolved in my favor.

Insofar as the instant problem is concerned, it is essentially thus: while I was reviewing my bank statements

today, 8.9.11, I noticed that there had been deposited into my account an amount of $716.00 on 23 August, 2011.

The notation on my bank statement was identical to my normal monthly deposit, to wit:

US Treasury 310 DES: xxVA BENEF ID: (my ss number) 00 62 INDN: (my name).

The amount, as mentioned supra, was for $716.00. The problem is that I have no idea what this deposit

is related to or why it was deposited to my account, and in light of the aforementioned faux pas by the

VA, I certainly do not want any time to pass without its resolution.

I have tried telephoning the VA at 800-827-1000, but all I receive is a menu of options, none of which

address my current problem and offering no human with whom to speak. I have tried googling the

internet under the general heading of "reporting suspected overpayment" and its assorted variations,

and I again have drawn a blank.

The only option that I have uncovered which might offer a resolution is the telephone number of

The Inspector General's office, but this appears to address a third party reporting the deliberate fraud

of another.

MY question then is this: does ANYONE know how to contact the VA by telephone and either

question the provenance of an electronic deposit or alternatively report an overpayment so that

it can be returned to the proper authority/department?

I very much appreciate your patience and indulgence with this fumbling correspondence.

Thank you.

@ Talon: I am in a similar situation to you. I also just came across a very large deposit in my account from US TREASURY 310 DES:XXVA BENEF ID:(my SSN) 00 43 INDN:(my name) CO ID:(some id) PPD . The money is a little over 12 thousand - almost 13 thousand dollars. I don't want to keep this money as I don't believe it belongs to me.

I also receive disability at 40%, but this looks a little different from my disability deposits. The is before letters PPD is different and everything else is the same.

I also called VA a lot of times and they only tell me that the payment they last sent me is my regular disability check, not this 12 thousand dollar payment.

So, did you ever get in touch with someone and figure out if the money was for something you did not know you should be getting. Or did you find a way to return it. Either way, please let me know I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

@ Talon: I am in a similar situation to you. I also just came across a very large deposit in my account from US TREASURY 310 DES:XXVA BENEF ID:(my SSN) 00 43 INDN:(my name) CO ID:(some id) PPD . The money is a little over 12 thousand - almost 13 thousand dollars. I don't want to keep this money as I don't believe it belongs to me.

I also receive disability at 40%, but this looks a little different from my disability deposits. The is before letters PPD is different and everything else is the same.

I also called VA a lot of times and they only tell me that the payment they last sent me is my regular disability check, not this 12 thousand dollar payment.

So, did you ever get in touch with someone and figure out if the money was for something you did not know you should be getting. Or did you find a way to return it. Either way, please let me know I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Sounds like it's your cash, to me !

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Many years ago I found an odd check for over 28 thou in my mail box from VA.

The 800# ( Jim F. in those days you got to recognise their voice at 800 #told me it wasn't a mistake. The VA doesnt make mistakes like that, he added.) I was horrified as I didnt know what it was for.

No letter came the whole week and after the weekend passed I called 800 and ironically got Jim again.

I said :

“Jim I spent that whole check at K mart yesterday so I sure hope you were right last week.” He laughed but coudn't see anything on the VA PC as to any letter.

Finally a few days letter I got a letter from the RC up here (Regional Counsel).

When VA had received my new 2003 AO DMII claim, they had to check with the RC as to the FTCA issue and the RC called a CUE on them.

(They had been deducting my DIC offset for many more years that they should have.)

I had argued that point with them before but thought I was wrong.

I then read over the audit they sent to me.

They were still 11 thousand short.

I wrote to them and attached my math calculations as evidence.

The check for that came right away.

My long point is if VA makes an error in your favor, cashwise and corrects it, they STILL might have snookered you and you need to figure out the audit statement very carefully.

VA had to refund my full offset after the 2003 claim succeeded in 2009.

For some reason Jeff, the same the RC above ,gave me a hard time on that (maybe because of the amount) so I had to get a top gun from OGC to order my RO to pay me. They did.

I tried to get Jeff to come to SVR show years ago but maybe I could try again to get him or one of the VA Regional Counsels to do a show at SVR.

They have an interesting job and are brilliant lawyers.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Back in 1976 I began getting 100% benefits. I knew this was wrong since I was rated 10% as far as I knew. I called and wrote the VA. I returned the checks. The checks just kept coming. Finally, I started putting them in a savings account. One day the checks went back to 10% level and I never heard a word. This did not go on for years but for a few months. I owed the VA 102 bucks for overpayment of G.I. Bill and the bastards hounded me for over a year. I went to my congressman to show him their mistake. The VA backed off, finally. Pennywise and pound foolish.

John