VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Condition Question...

Rate this question

Loose Cannon

Question

Hello All,

I'll try my best to keep this short and to the point. I have a claim in for an increased rating for PTSD based on UI. I think I have all my "ducks in line" and have a great letter from my VA Doc to support this. I have MANY references and a diagnosis in my VA medical records for depression secondary to the PTSD. I have been on VA prescribed meds for the depression for a number of years also. Problem is...I never ASKED for a rating based on the depression. I have a C&P exam on Tuesday and I don't want to do anything that will slow down the entire claim process at this point. I know it is a battle just to get a "favorable" C&P exam that acurately reflects what a vet's current condition is but how do I ultimatley get the VA rating board to see that this secondary condition was manifested by the PTSD? Common sense tells me that a review of my VA records will clearly show the depression exists...but I don't want to leave anything to chance or hope someone has "common sense".

What advice can anyone give me based on your experiences with the VA claims process on what course I should take to ensure I get a fair shake and bring the depression to their attention WITHOUT slowing down my claim at this point?

Thanks to all for your comments...no better website compares to this one when it comes to seeking advice & information!!

Loose Cannon

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you mean you have a claim for IU, based on an increase in PTSD symptoms.

pr

Hello All,

I'll try my best to keep this short and to the point. I have a claim in for an increased rating for PTSD based on UI. I think I have all my "ducks in line" and have a great letter from my VA Doc to support this. I have MANY references and a diagnosis in my VA medical records for depression secondary to the PTSD. I have been on VA prescribed meds for the depression for a number of years also. Problem is...I never ASKED for a rating based on the depression. I have a C&P exam on Tuesday and I don't want to do anything that will slow down the entire claim process at this point. I know it is a battle just to get a "favorable" C&P exam that acurately reflects what a vet's current condition is but how do I ultimatley get the VA rating board to see that this secondary condition was manifested by the PTSD? Common sense tells me that a review of my VA records will clearly show the depression exists...but I don't want to leave anything to chance or hope someone has "common sense".

What advice can anyone give me based on your experiences with the VA claims process on what course I should take to ensure I get a fair shake and bring the depression to their attention WITHOUT slowing down my claim at this point?

Thanks to all for your comments...no better website compares to this one when it comes to seeking advice & information!!

Loose Cannon

• Founder

Depression is part of PTSD, though you can also have a completely separate diagnosis of major depressive disorder as well as a diagnosis of PTSD. In terms of ratings I'm not sure if it makes much difference I believe they would rate you at the highest, though your may be diagnosed with both PTSD and Major Depression they will only pay you for the one condition. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think you mean you have a claim for IU, based on an increase in PTSD symptoms.

pr

Depression is part of PTSD, though you can also have a completely separate diagnosis of major depressive disorder as well as a diagnosis of PTSD. In terms of ratings I'm not sure if it makes much difference I believe they would rate you at the highest, though your may be diagnosed with both PTSD and Major Depression they will only pay you for the one condition. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Your right on the nose like always T

Your right on the nose like always T

Thanks for the reply...You have relieved much stress and worry...God Bless you all!

Loose Cannon

pr

Yes, you are right - My type o! Glad to see people care enough to actually read my posts...What a wonderful site for gaining info on so many issues. EVERY time I visit I learn something new...God Bless you!

Loose Cannon