Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd And School

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I am unable to work due to Chronic Pain, Depressiona and Anxiety. I applied for my Post 9/11 GI bill and will start school in Jan, can this hurt my chances of receiving SSD. My SSD was denied twice and it is now waiting at the ALJ stage (waiting to see Judge), I hired a lawyer...

Vet2010

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It shouldn't, as the ability to successfully attend school does not equate to the ability to work.

pr

I am unable to work due to Chronic Pain, Depressiona and Anxiety. I applied for my Post 9/11 GI bill and will start school in Jan, can this hurt my chances of receiving SSD. My SSD was denied twice and it is now waiting at the ALJ stage (waiting to see Judge), I hired a lawyer...

Vet2010

I also have those issues among others and got SSD. The doc asked about me going to school, which I do. He stated and made a great point that even with physical disabilities the mind continues to work and must stay busy to assist in care. Wish you the best..

Just be mindful that you're seeking SSD for mental health issues. I understand chronic pain is on there, and I deal with complex regional pain syndrome, so I know pain, but if you have a sound enough mind to actively participate in college which is stressful and challenging wouldn't you have a sound enough mind to work some sort of job?

Not trying to discourage, but attempting to point possible problems in the future. Talk to your lawyer. Also my cousin had a disability claim denied twice for depression and then spent three days in inpatient for mental health and they approved it. I am not saying utilize resources that you do not need, but if you have used these resources in the past bring them up, because they will demonstrate just how messed up you are.

• HadIt.com Elder

Nrither SSD nor VA should change status for going to school. You should also look into Boc Rehab they pay all expenses and offer over 900 bucks a month to go to school if they think it has any chance yhat you can work after you finish

http://www.socialsec...-benefits-case/

http://www.ssdanswer...ity-disability/

Okay, I understand what the others are saying; however, the main component of your SSD claim is mental health, so if you are going to go to school then at least read these links.

Also you [i don' thin] cannot receive chapter 31 and gi bill benefit concomitantly, choose whichever is best. I know one is good for 15 years --gi bill-- and the other for 12 --chapter 31, unless you have a serious employment handicap that is service connected in which the timeline can and will be extended almost pro-forma.

You have your case pending in front of the judge. It might be best to talk to your attorney about attending school.

Your 100 percent service connected, but you listed that you are unemployable due to Chronic pain, depression, and anxiety, are these your service connected injuries as well?

You've been denied twice, so you haven't been working during this period and you haven't been going to school, I think going to school will show a marked improvement in your mental health.

I'll just write it unless you have significant physical disabilities and while the mental health disabilities are the meat of the SSD claim the Judge may really question your ability to function in a traditional college setting --if you have accommodations, going online, taking night classes, or some combination then you can ameliorate the college issue with the judge. Ask your attorney, before you go.

Edited by scscrewed

http://www.socialsec...-benefits-case/

http://www.ssdanswer...ity-disability/

You have your case pending in front of the judge. It might be best to talk to your attorney about attending school.

I vote for this answer.

You will probably want to discuss accommodations you will have to have to be able to go to school. Most colleges have programs for students with disabilities. Use them. Do you need additional time to take tests due to your anxiety? See if you can get accommodations to take your tests in the testing center. Do you need help with taking notes due to chronic pain? Ask for a note-taker. Do you need a tutor sometimes? Is it related to your disabilities? (Anxiety, Pain, Taking meds, or other reasons...) Keep a record of the accommodations the student disabilities service provides for you.

Meet with your instructor and discuss your program with them. Most instructors should be accommodating and supportive (if for no other reason than the Americans with Disabilities Act). And then EMAIL the instructor briefly reiterating everything - thank them for their understanding - reinforce that though you may have some difficulties due to X, y, and Z - and may need some consideration - you take the class seriously. (i.e. "Please be assured I want to do well in your class, and I will not miss, leave early, or ___ (whatever it is) unless my pain is intolerable.")

If you miss class - or have to leave early or arrive late because of your disability - EMAIL the instructor - let them know - and let them know why. The instructor will generally give you a bit more slack - AND you will have a paper trail. If you have any trouble with the class - or any of the work - once again, email the instructor.

SAVE THE EMAILS!!!! Save any and all papers you get showing various accommodations you may need or be getting.

And talk to your attorney; talk to your attorney; talk to your attorney! :smile:

Edited by free_spirit_etc