VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

** Possible Triggers**symptoms In Service, But Not Diagnosed, Or Treated

Rate this question

Ethan'sGrandma

Question

Hello To All,

I have been reviewing all of the denial SOC's that I've received from the VA to date since I am still waiting on this appeal, but I am hoping someone can help me out here with an argument in their statements that VA has made over and over which is confusing me further with the information I've been able to find on here from past posters. I went to what was the military clinic of the day with complaints of depression and anxiety, but I was not diagnosed, not sent for an evaluation, nor treated, even as the notation was made about my complaints of the symptoms. I was not sent to see the PA, but only the triage medic saw me. She only diagnosed the headache I was also complaining about. I did not know what I was doing, only what I was feeling, getting desperate enough to go on and go on sick call for it. Additionally, I felt beaten down and had learned not to insist, nor did I speak up about what had happened and continued to happen to me which is what I surmised was causing the symptoms that finally got me to go for medical. After being ignored and, soon thereafter leaving the service, I never went back to sick call for it, but the symptoms persisted. The information is checked on my exit exam. The VA has repeatedly said that none of it counts because I was not diagnosed, or treated while on active duty. Since close to that time, once I had medical care available, I have continuous mental health treatment, including inpatient hospitalizations, with different diagnoses' being assigned over the years. On past posts and in the guide section on here, I've noticed where it's also been stated that the condition had to have been treated in service and considered chronic. Yet, VA regs speak of "direct connection" when "incurred" in service. Even though incurred seems to mean "began," does that not apply for VA purposes, unless it was actually diagnosed and treated in service? I am trying to learn and understand better. I would appreciate any comments on this. Thank you very much!

Edited by Ethan'sGrandma

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Sounds to me like you need a good IMO that says your condition has worsened due to being misdiagnosed or not diagnosed and untreated while on active duty. I would recommend that you talk with your psych doc and see if they will write one for you. According to your post your SMR's state that you had symptoms of depression and anxiety. Show them to your psych doc. Have you told them what you are trying to do as far as the VA is concerned?

• HadIt.com Elder

You need these magic words.

I had reviewed the Veterans Service Medical Records. The Veteran was seen for Anxiety and depression while in service. The Veteran currently has these issues and it is my opinion based on the service medical record, the veterans anxiety and depression had its onset in service.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

You need these magic words.

I had reviewed the Veterans Service Medical Records. The Veteran was seen for Anxiety and depression while in service. The Veteran currently has these issues and it is my opinion based on the service medical record, the veterans anxiety and depression had its onset in service.

J

I agree!

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree IMO is best way to go. Take your SMR's and give them to the Doc and follow Jbassers advise and Boomer2.

You are spinning your wheels if you don't do this.

Doc who may be able to help

Ellis Clinic may be someone to consider. Several Hadit members think they do a good job.

Thank you all for the replies...very much appreciated! Yes, an IMO would be the best route, but I'm holding out on that due to costs. So true, Pete53 and that's exacty how I feel with my claim...been spinning my wheels! I did manage to get from the last VA Psychologist that treated me a letter with diagnosis and opinion (wow, like pulling teeth to get anything in writing there) that I submitted to VARO, but I do not know if it will suffice for VA claim purposes. Of course, I do not know if VA will accept it, or not, since I have not heard anything back from VA in quite some time. Can I post it on here and get some feedback on what may be wrong with psych's letter.? I see where many have posted that "as likely as not," and other wording seen with these matters, but she worded it as: "it is my professional opinion that you have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and that it stems from a Military Sexual Trauma." Again, thanks all for the replies!