Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I File For A Disability Claim If I Get Better

Rate this question

USAFBrowne

Question

12 years after the fact, I finally went to see a VA Psychiatrist and was diagnosed with PTSD via MST. My Psychaiatrist, psychologist, and social worker keep asking me if I've filed a disabillity claim. My goal is to get back to a 'normal' life. So what happens if I do get back to normal (no more events and works at a job), before my application is seen? Do I still file even though I am capable of working. I keep reading about going to see a seperate CP&T evaluation.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

You can file a claim based on the current condition. If your condition gets better the VA will address a reduction or increase based on your symptoms.

** TRIGGER **

You will NEVER know all of your triggers. Even though my assault was suppressed for over 14 years there have still been times when triggers made my life hell. The most notable when I discovered my daughter's stepfather had been abusing her from 10-14 years of age. I had to go into therapy for a year, started sleeping on the couch instead of my bed, bought a handgun, etc....

PTSD has it's ups and downs, that's what separates it from Borderline Personality Disorder (The darling of the DoD and VA). Borderlines are basically always difficult, unbudging, confrontational, highly opinionated individuals without an off switch. The fact that your symptoms have ups and downs is a sign that PTSD is a more logical diagnosis than a developmental disorder.

• Founder

If your symptoms are such that your psychiatrist, psychologist, and social worker all think you should apply, then you should apply.

1. You most likely wil be rated at less than 100% depending on your current symptoms.

2. You will be scheduled for a re-exam and if you get better it will be addressed.

Again if your psychiatrist, psychologist, and social worker think you should file, then you should probably apply and when you get better you can address it then, if you get worse or stay the same you will be covered.