Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cell Phone..free

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Here is how it works. When you get a cell phone, you pay a "universal service fee". This "fee", usually a few dollars a month, provides cell phone service to the needy and the disabled. In my state, either a social security disability, or VA disabilty qualifes you for the free cell phone. You get about 250 minutes per month, in my state at no cost, and no cost for the phone. They ship you the phone. Its a plane jane phone, no internet, no gadgets.

If you are a disabled Vet, you "probably" qualify, but check out these websites. There are at least TWO companies that offer these free cell phones for the disabled/needy.

Hope this helps a Vet.

http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public/MorePrograms.aspx?utm_source=GoogleLocal&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=assurance_cell_phone&utm_content=General_-_Phone_-_Exactutm

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Safelink/

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Actually..Disabled veterans or those on Medicare do not qualify....

Per the web cites:

In Texas , you must have one of the following... ( other states had the same guidlines):

. Medicaid . Food Stamps/SNAP . Supplemental Security Income (SSI) . Health Benefit Coverage under Child Health Plan (CHIP) . Federal Public Housing Assistance . Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Edited by Teac

• HadIt.com Elder

Really, someone on welfare can get a free phone and a 100% disabled vet has to pay if he/she has the money. This goes to the bigger fool theory.

Verizon will give you a 10% dicount on your monthly plan if you are a vet does not matter if you're disabled or not. You do have to show them your DD-214.

• HadIt.com Elder

I used Consumer Cellular but I found them to be really poor quality phones and service. I was spending about $20 a month for nothing since I never used the phone. I can see how these phones are useful but it seems I am giving up even more privacy.

Verizon will give you a 10% dicount on your monthly plan if you are a vet does not matter if you're disabled or not. You do have to show them your DD-214.

It must depend where you live cause Verizon gave me 15% discount and only showed my card. I live in Az. Or it could be they changed their policy.

Coot

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!