Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing A Claim With Social Security

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

SInce I have so many, many medical problems that are mostly VA ratings, I am wondering about filing a claim with SS. Since the latest are sleep apnea, not connected yet, as well as NP and carpel tunnel along with the cardio rating that gave me a 60% rating just alone, what are my chances of getting a medical disability with SS? I know I certainly shouldn't be working as I try to leave early every day from the issues from my prostate(every hour bathroom during day, and 1/1/2 at night along with drowsiness from sleep apnea even though I use the cpac machine.

And if I apply, should I just use all the medical reports from my doctors to support the claim. I keep hearing it is easier to get this from ss once you are over 50, then getting a claim approved from the Va.

I appreciate any input. This is looking like my next major goal as I certainly can't complete an 8 hr shift at work anymore.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If I recall correctly, you must be able to work 8 hrs a day, 5 days a wk, to be considered able bodied and employable or non-disabled, for SS. If you can't work that then they must consider you disabled.

pr

SSI with tell you if you paid enough into the SSA to get benefits

In early 2011 I started have medical problems with the lack of a prostate and the cancer medicine causing PN.

I started missing work and could not work a 40 hr week, and by end of August, I first went on short term disabitly for 3 months at that time I file for SSDI.

The company HR file the form for VA , SS and letter from my Primary Care doctor saying the lack of being able to work.

I would file for short term and FMAL. After Short term Insurance runs out and then you go on Cobra. I pay about $268.00 a month for full medical and dental. My wife is CHAMPVA.

Then file for SSDI as soon as you quit!!

Sorry of your condition's, it can be a really messy if you can't make it to the bathroom. I'm a veteran at thatohmy.png

• HadIt.com Elder

A problem with SSDI is that you must be incapable of holding a job that provides a certain level of income. In other-words, before the disabilities, you might have earned 100k a year, and after, you were only qualified and capable of being a Wal Mart greeter means that SSA will deny. A friend of ours was denied by a Chicago SSA office, not because his disabilities were not significant enough, but solely because he owned his small painting business. The SSA told him to hire someone to do what he was doing. (painting houses)

Edited by Chuck75