Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The Supreme Court is the only court with full constitutional authority, and getting it to do anything related to the VA is quite a challenge. Congress severely limited the ability of other courts to deal with the VA. Besides, other existing laws can be in conflict, and give preference to government agencies, not the individual, veteran, or company. This puts the whole VA debacle back in Congress's hands, like it or not. Over the decades, it's quite obvious that Congress has ignored the majority of "advice" from commissions, studies, expert testimony, veteran's documented experience, and so forth. Occasionally, Congress sends a "sop" to veterans by making minor changes. The VA's court systems are not truly independent, and also generally biased in favor of the VA, regardless of general language in the law. Seems that the VA has the ability and authority to write regulations and follow practices that limit the effect of the general statements in veterans law.

I agree with you that the VA and Congress have screwed veterans. I'm not disputing that. The courts though, have extremely limited ENFORCEMENT authority! What are they going to do? Send the Marshall's to the chambers of Congress or to the VA? Ridiculous. I understand this is an emotional issue for many veterans, myself included. But putting emotions aside, and looking at the Constitiution, the dispersement of money to the various agencies falls only on Congress. The courts may pass whatever ruling they please, but Congress can tell them (the courts) to go screw themselves. I'm not saying that we should give up our fight, and we can and should fight for our cause in whatever venue we can, and yes, that includes the courts, but if Congress refuses to act and force the VA to make the changes, and give the VA the funds to do it, it will not happen. The courts' higher power is the legislatures of the States and Federal Government, and rarely are any courts censored or judges impeached. So, the highest "power" in America is Congress, and that's the way it was set up; and it was set up that way for a reason. Congress answers to 'we the people.' If we can get the public on our side, and force the issue on Congress, changes will be made, and more importantly, they will be made within rules that govern our country.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just remember how congress, the Prez and the courts treated the Bonus Army back in the darkest days of the Great Depression. Even a New Deal President like FDR cut pensions in half for veterans under the delusion that we all had to tighten our belts. Save your money because the generous attitude towards recent vets may change if economic conditions change for the worse. There always has to be a scapegoat. I can hear some congressman going on about fraud at the VA and able bodied vets getting big checks for being disabled while they spend their time drunk and driving fancy cars. Our compensation is called an entitlement just like welfare and foodstamps according to congress. I earned my compensation by giving my body to the Army for three years. My compensation is not welfare. It is an attempt to return in some small measure what I lost in government service. These crazies screaming about the budget deficit will be turning their guns on us in the future. The Supreme Court we have is the same one that said corporations are people. When they execute a coropration in "Old Sparky" I will believe that. My whole point is that Congress is to blame for this horrible situation at the VA. They count votes. 20 million living vets and falling.

John

Stoping the fraud and giving all veterans the since of fulfilment and backing us like we back our government is not a bad thing. If it is congress,the prez or the courts does not matter but it needs to be done!

Social security and VA benefits are entiltements we earned and in the case of SS paid into. If it were not for the congress and yes the prez raiding the funds for other agenda it would be in good shape. They created this mess on both programs and unlike welfare programs they can not just turn their backs, or who will fight the next time they want to!!????

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use