Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Va Answer

Rate this question

Charleese

Question

Hi everyone,

On yesterday, we took Berta's advice and my husband went on the VA website an inquired about the VA in Tazewell, Virginia. He wrote: The VA in Tazewell, Virginia no longer exist. I submitted a compensation claim to them in 1958. It is my understanding that they have been closed for about 30 or 40 years or more. My question is (1) Where would the VA in Tazewell have transfered their recrods to? and (2)What was the date of their actual closing? (3) I would like to know what is the next direction that I should take in locating this claim.

They forwarded his inquiry to the Regional Office in Hartford, CT, since we live in Connecticut.

This is the answer that Regional Office VA gave him:

We are currently working on your appeal.all records in the VA system or information of record on you should be in your claims folder in this office. when a claim is filed we search our entire system to locate any records on the veteran and then have them transferred to the office in charge of your claim processing. we have no information on Tazewell,VA office i will have a review of your records to see if we have any information from that office, you will be notified of our review.

Well this makes us think that: (1) they never tried or found out and know that VA in Tazewell no longer exist; (2) that they know no one knows who or wheere these files are now located; and (3) they denied his claim on June 17, 2006 without seeking this information.

My husband got a complete copy of his c-file in August 2005 and there was no information in that file on Tazewell or his 1958 claim. Matter of fact they wrote him several times to let him know that his 1958 claim was not in his claim flolder.

Through friends my husband is now in the process of contacting some of their relatives to give statements about the existence of Tazewell VA because they were serviced by them before they closed.

Please let us know what you think about all of the above.

Thanks!

Charleese

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Did you check with VA nearest the Tazewell location, Often the files and folders are transferred to the closest facility. That was before computers so there is a file somewhere collecting dust with your name on it.Contact the closest VA to the old Location and inquire at medical records. They may have to dig, But I believe they may be there.

Yes jstacy he did check with the closest VA. They are Ronoke RO, Salem and Cedar Bluffs. Ronoke and Salem said that all Tazewell files were sent to Cedar Bluffs. Cedar Bluffs wrote and said that they didn't have his file and that if they had his file that all inactive files they purged every 5 years.

Thanks for your reply.

If this college was in existence in 1958- could he have possibly gone to Tazewell Hall with this application?

http://www.sw.edu/prospectstudent/veterans.htm

I certainly have looked on the web for any Tazewell VA-VAMC of anything- and still it only comes up like the ones in those BVA decision.

Could it have been with a County service officer at Tazewell?

The VA might wonder why a 1958 claim was not pursued.

I think many here -without posting a reply- did heed your plea and searched but I think we all are getting the same hits-

Many VA facilities are very old- our Bath VAMC was here since the Civil War-

At the VA home page they have put some historic info on these older VAs. They usually had hospital facilities as well as vet reps for claims right on the same grounds-

I didnt read all this at VA but this might have someone mentioned at VA Central Office who could at least possibly confirm the existence of this place for you-in 1958.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/vafeature/facility75.asp

Berta, this college is in Richlands not Tazewell and from what I can tell it was established way after 1958. No his application was not submitted in Richlands. I have already contacted the Tazewell Chamber of Commerce on my husband's behalf asking them to help in the search for Tazewell VA records. We are waiting for their reply. Yes, he did exercised due dilligence in pursuing his 1958 claim. I have explained over and over again in various Posts the steps he took in pursuing this claim (see Posts Options and Establishing A Claim in reference to the steps he took). Even though he continued to tell and write about his 1958 claim the VA just continued to ignore him like they are doing now. They denied him without seeking information from or on Tazewell. Their e-mail response sounds like they are sayng that they do not have any records at all from Tazewell, VA (not only on my husbands but no one elses), and it sounds like that they won't or don't want to search for the records...Maybe it is too much work for them to search for them or maybe they don't know how to search for them.

The VA knows he has exercised due dilligence in pursuing this claim, and that it why they did not bring up the question as why it took so long to pursue this claim in their denial of his decision. They are the ones who have not exercised due dilligence in helping to resolve his claim. Furthermore, the question is why did they continue to ignore this claim, and where is this claim and other Tazewell claims. It is not his fault that the VA lost these records.

We will read the VA page on old Va's.

Thanks for your reply.

Guest jstacy

Call them again, A VA should not get rid of a Veterans file until after he is certified Dead. Purging only means they have it inactive and may have copied it to Microfiche. It is there somewhere. Dont give up on this. Those people are too lazy to finds it. Persistance will pay off. Go there in person if you can.

John-even then -they cant really sh-- -can the dead vets files- they do move deceased vet files to somewhere -I forget-and can pull them out on a re-open like in my case-

It is one more reason for a surviving wife or husband of a vet to apply for DIC and pension right away- after death because this keeps that file of the dead veteran close at hand-

DIC apps filed after one year has passed after date of death do not ever get any accrued benefits awarded.

And a DIC claim can take years but at some point the evidence can show SC death so a survivor should always file a claim for DIC.-in my opinion.

What might not seem to a death related at all to SC -at time of death -could still end being a SC death.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Charleese.

It looks to me like the best route for you too take is your senator or congressman/woman. Too bad you live in CT now, as Senator John Warner in Virginia is one of the best at getting action from the VA and RO. I've had to use him twice now and both times expedited help doesn't even begin to explain it. you may be able to contact him about it, I don't know if they would help but being a vet himself his office might help you out a little. Just explain it all in great detail. You could just email his office. Best bet is one of your own reps in CT. Congressional inquiries tend to piss them off but sometimes they get the action needed. Seems to me that you are at a stonewall and need a little help convincing the VARO to knock down the wall and offer some help. Good luck.

80% SC/100% TDIU

70%PTSD All the rest is Back problems.

10th Mountain.

God Bless the Troops.