VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Houston.........we've Got A Problem? Not No More!

Rate this topic

#1Cavtrooper

I went to Ft. Polk and got my ID card on Friday with not too much problem. The clerk had a little problem finding the Key sentence stating my eligibility, so I pointed it out to him. I received my commissary letter in the mail yesterday (I still don't have access to them on ebenefit.) The letter read as follows: Dear Ms. *******: We are giving you this certificate so you may receive commissary store and exchange privileges from the Armed Forces.

This is to certify that ###### ### ####### is an honorably discharged Veteran of the Army and receives benefits at the 100% rate. The Veteran has not been scheduled for future examinations.

My ID card states INDEFINITE under expiration date. I AM HAPPY!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

It seems that indefinite is not good enough for id in some places. I have had my card for 16 years and you will be surprised at how many balk when you use it as an id although your picture is on it.

• HadIt.com Elder

It seems that indefinite is not good enough for id in some places. I have had my card for 16 years and you will be surprised at how many balk when you use it as an id although your picture is on it.

A DOD disabled veteran's ID card normally has an entry of DVAPRM/(Rank/Grade)

if it was properly made.

There are at least a few reasons that this happens - -

The "help" is not familiar with military ID cards in general.

Some places/activities required that "valid" ID cards have an expiration date.

It's not one of the active duty ID cards, nor the same color.

It's not a driver's license. Many states/places expect to see a driver's license.

For years, as a civilian, I carried a DOD card issued by, well DOD(DECAS).

It was actually the infamous ID card issued by DOD that complied with the Geneva convention.

A statement on the card read something to the effect that I was a non combatant that accompanied

the armed forces. The card was infamous due to widely held opinions that the best use for it was to hold it

in front of your forehead as a target.

My real use for it had to do with getting from a base gate to destination(s) on a base, without a bunch of hassle as to the whys and wherefores.

There often was a "catch 22" involved, in that one of the usual destinations issued or originated the local paperwork to obtain other access documentation.

Without the DOD card, it was a case of "can't get there from here" type of thing that was dependent on such things as time of day, "office hours", and so forth.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use