VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Home Depot And Veterans

Rate this question

boomer2

Question

I just found out thru a friend that Home Depot will rebuild a vets home if they did not have insurance to cover the loss.

It's called the Home Depot Foundation. They will rebuild it for free. A friend's parents house just burned down a couple of weeks ago and she is trying to help them find some help because they didn't have property insurance (dumb) and she told me about it. Unfortunately, her dad or mother is not a vet. You do have to be a vet to use the program. I don't know what the particulars are on the program.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

In my area both Home Depot and Lowe's give a 10 percent discount to

vets with SC shown on their VAMC card or if shown a MWR card.

This is on regular priced and/or sale priced items.

My Home Depot says the discount is on purchases up to 5 K.

Kudos to Home Depot, Lowes and all the other merchants who honor veterans with more than lip service. smile.png

Here's link to Home Depot Foundation http://www.homedepotfoundation.org/ and another for military benefits in your state http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/state-veterans-benefits-directory.html

I surely do applaud all groups that are helping our veterans.

I also appreciate the link you posted.

I went there and read a local story about them helping a vet in Tampa

and building a wheelchair ramp for him.

My question is why the heck the VA didn't provide this help through the

SAHP - the funds are there and they should be using them for such things.

Probably too much red tape and hoops for the vet to have to jump through

on VA's part.

I surely do applaud all groups that are helping our veterans.

I also appreciate the link you posted.

I went there and read a local story about them helping a vet in Tampa

and building a wheelchair ramp for him.

My question is why the heck the VA didn't provide this help through the

SAHP - the funds are there and they should be using them for such things.

Probably too much red tape and hoops for the vet to have to jump through

on VA's part.

you hit it on the head.. I have used the HISA program and there are too many hoops.. I think that they are really trying to discourge use of the program.. and it takes an act of congress for a construction firm to get approval to do these kinds of projects for veterans if the VA is paying for the work, this is especially true if a veteran wants to use the adaptive housing grant after it is awarded....

Thank you Boomer for posting this....

Teac and Carlie,,,,, I tried to use the HISA program when they gave me prescription to start using Hydrotherapy for my Peripheral Neuropathy. The only way I could get a Hot tub was that they have to do a remodel on the bathroom and must be done by a contractor approved list AND that it must fit in the bathroom.......HUH ...well the only tub that could possibly fit is one of those walk thru like you see on TV. And the maximum amount was around 4500 dollars or so. I finally got so frustrated with it , I spent what money I had in savings and 10k later got a good one on my back porch that I use everyday and sometimes 2-3 times a day depending on how bad I am hurting. HISA is a joke and a full time job just getting anything done in this state. sad.png

NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Here in San Antonio, Home Depot, will not give you the 10% discount, if the item is on sale. So, I go to Lowes.

Papa