VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apena Parkinson's

Rate this question

warren

Question

i have parkinson's disease and i wake up several times a night. i go to bed fatigued and wake up fatigued. what sleep i do get is not good sleep. the next day i take several naps. i'm tired all day long. i have vivid dreams at night, i snore, have even woke myself up snoring and i have woke up because i wasn't breathing. if my va neurologists prescribes a cpap can i file a claim for sleep apena?

GOD BLESS

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Warren, I apologize for allowing this topic to get hijacked, The advice Meg and I posted is out of genuine concern. You didn't start an arguement and the Hijacker has a history of doing this to other members as well. It wont happen again.

JBasser

Hello Warren.... I know what you are going thru as now I have Chronic Obstructive Sleep Apnea and got the call today on the results of the Sleep study. I do not know what I am going to do yet as I am still in shock with a lot of unknowns. VA is ordering the CPAP from an outside company and I have to wait now for it. And the Pulmonary Hypertension is now a priority on how they plan on treating it according to VA phone call today. YES , Jesus is the only way and the way its going I am going to probably beat most of you all there. Then again , I won't have to go thru all this stuff. Wish you the best and I would also like to wish you and everyone else a Happy Resurrection Sunday.....HE is risen... NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

There is Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Central Sleep Apnea and Mixed Sleep Apnea. IMHO, I don't think any doctor would prescribe a CPAP without knowing what they are dealing with first. And then they would have to test you to see what setting (PSI) would be benefical to your situation, too much air or too little air would be more harmful than no CPAP at all. More than likely, you will require a sleep study. They actually have, if you are a candidate for it, sleep studies that can be done at home.

where did you obtain the three types of sleep apnea?

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable FBPhotoZoom

Hey Warren, I also have Parkinson's, and filed for Sleep Apnea. I do not believe they are connected, but in my case I just did not have the military medical records to show I had sleep apnea in the service. But, back in the early 1970s, I do not think they understood what sleep apnea was. I did complain that I woke up several times at night chokig, fell assleep during the day, but all they would say is sleep on your side.

BTW, I'm still waiting on my increase for the PD, but was awarded 100%+ for PTSD. Nothing like a shaky vet with PTSD. Like the Captain says, "NEVER GIVE UP"

Papa

Sleep foundation . Com has a good write up about the association between OSA and PD or Parkinsons.. Type in key words parkinsons and sleep disorders. If you get a medical opinion from a neurologist and or pulmonologist than you are golden. Good luck!

Keep in mind that sleep apnea is a life threatening disorder. Regardless of what the veteran's rating is he or she should always file a claim for life threatening disorders/conditions.