VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

flyfisher

Question

I just recently got my 100% service connected disability granted. What kind of letter or proof do I have, to show, so that my children can get tuition assistance. Do you have a request to be granted P&T or is this something the VA decides on thier own? Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am service connected for PTSD,migraine headaches and Fibromyalgia all of which have been chronic conditions. The PTSD I have been in treatment for 10 years and the fibromyalgia is a chronic disease with no known cure.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I just recently got my 100% service connected disability granted.

Do you have a request to be granted P&T or is this something the VA decides on thier own?

Did the decision you received recently, address P&T status - in any way -

in the Reasons and Bases Section ?

It may even have been addressed in a way you might not recognize such as,

a condition may have possible room for improvement.

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you get Chapter 35 benefits? You know one thing to think about is that as long as you are alive your spouse and children probably have a decent income via your 100% rating. When you die if you have a survivor they would receive much less. Start planning for the future of your surviving spouse now.

John

Yes it says since there is the likelihood of improvement the assigned evaluation is not considered permanent and is subject to future review examination. So even though it is a chronic and no cure known it is not considered permanent? No need to appeal this decision of non permanent?

In my opinion, based on what you said, your decision isn't P/T which is required for educational benefits.

fibromyalgia, although chronic can be treated.

the same for your PTSD, although you have been treated for 10 years, mental conditions vary and change which could effect your overall percentage. After having any service connected disability for 10 years the VA can not remove the disability unless they can prove fraud was involved. Any rating over 20 years, can not be removed, unless again, fraud is detected.

So between the 10 and 20 years anything can/could happen to your overall percentage, without it being P/T

Edited by meghp0405

Ditto on pr's post above.

Also, if your docs are able to write you a letter in support stating

(or put into your treatment/ progress notes)

that your SC'd conditions are static in nature, this would be supportive

for granting P&T status.