Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Travel Pay Question......

Rate this question

StreetWalker

Question

I've got a pretty basic question about travel pay. 1. I'm 70% SC 2. I'm being treated for non-SC prostate cancer. 3. 5X a week radiation treatments. I've never gotten travel pay except for C&P exams but this daily 12 mile one way drive is burning a bit of gas. Would I qualify for travel pay for these treatments?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes, though, for small trips its not usually worth that much-as many as you are doing , though, it would be.

only if its a SC condition, though-sorry just caught that after a quick 2nd read.

Right you are, RIck-missed that. I started at 40% SC 10 yrs ago and never looked super close that the travel pay regs, but you are correct. If your combined rating is 30% or more you should qualify for Travel Pay regardless. Check your clinic for the particulars-some places are doing it via direct deposit and some still pay the day of.

• HadIt.com Elder

You may or may not based on the distance traveled and how your VAMC figures travel pay. Current travel rate is .415 cents per mile. If they agree that you travel 12 miles each way, you would receive $4.98 per each one way trip, less the $3.00 deductible, for the first three round trips, each month. After the first three round trips, they pay the full rate for the balance of the trips each month.

Most VA's are paying zip code to zip code (or post office to post office) these days. If you live closer than your post office they pay to the PO, which means you get extra money. If you live farther than the PO, they still pay to the PO and you lose money. They may figure you only travel 8 miles or 20 miles miles. who knows. It could be worth it, though, based on a whole month of travel.

I'm filing a claim, for all the mileage, this yr, that they cheated me out of, by doing zip code to zip code, which I plan to take to the CAVC, when they deny me. The form I sign states "residence to appointment address and return," not zip code to zip code. I lose $4.15 each round trip, which is BS. If not for our service, we wouldn't be needing this medical care. Just another way to screw the veteran! jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

Thanks everyone. The location I'm doing the radiation treatments is next door to the VAMC. Guess I'll have to head over there and see what's going on and what I need to do.

If you have records of your past appointments they will go back as far as 30days I think.

Goodluck!

Stillhere