VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Cancel My Insurance?

Rate this question

nlualum82

Question

My youngest is turning 26 soon.

I was awarded 100% P&T 2 years ago.

I retired from the post office 1 year ago.

My wife now has CHAMPVA.

I always carried Kaiser Permanente insurance through the union

I kept the same insurance after retirement at a big increase in monthly premiums...and it has gone up again recently.

When I use VA care they bill Kaiser.

I want to drop the Kaiser insurance.

I want to make sure that it's okay. I was wondering if there was some stipulation that I had to keep what I had to defray VA's costs.

Does anyone know, or know who to check with?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• In Memoriam

I dropped insurance after connection. I had medicare on SSD. I got veterans gap insurance and I am now on Humana as secondary provider. I think it goes medicare, gap, and then VA picks up the rest. To go this way you have to have medicare parts A and B.

Also when you have a new service connection you have an additional chance to change or upgrade you life insurance through VA. The first 10,000 is waved after you send in the form.

• HadIt.com Elder
nlualum82

If you drop your insurance under OPM, you lose it forever. I took BC/BS basic, because it covered what medicare did not and gave me Script coverage with minimal cost.

I prefer to not use the VA except for dental, so far it has worked for me.......Since you are 100%, the VA should never ever bill your private insurance for squat, and there is no requirement to keep private insurance for VA purposes.........Just remember the OPM rule on this. Just call them on Monday and they will explain it to you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Even at 100 percent the VA still bills private insurance. Hell they even bill mine for service connected meds and ect. Billing dont care. They are hungry if you know what I mean.

• HadIt.com Elder

You can suspend your FEHP but if you die while it is suspended your spouse can never get it again even is she is bona fide survivor. I have medicare and BC/BS via OPM. My wife has FEHP now and ChampVa. When she gets medicare I am pretty sure we will suspend FEHP and just keep ChampVA. Family plan for FEHP is expensive and not necessary if you have ChampVA. I will keep the medicare and FEHP for myself. I don't intend to depend just on VA if I can help it. When I look at my VA hospital I see a charity hospital with a bunch of rules that just bust my ^%%$#$.

John

My wife still works for USPS and could get insurance at the next open season if something happened to me in the next 8 years.

Wish she didn't have to wait 10 years from my 100% rating to get survivors benefits. First marriage for both of us, 32 years, only kids are the 3 we had together.

I didn't have the foresight to get VA life insurance and won't have the chance again. I do have it through USPS. It went up as a retiree and will diminish over the years.