Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Incarcerated Veterans

Rate this question

MPsgt

Question

I would think so since it probably will take longer for your claim than the time they have to serve! Ha Ha! That's a bad joke but true.

Anyhow I would send it in and see what happens I personally have seen nothing in the regs that say you can't. I did read somewhere that if you are getting benefits before, then they are reduced when you are in jail.

Stillhere

I would think so since it probably will take longer for your claim than the time they have to serve! Ha Ha! That's a bad joke but true.

Anyhow I would send it in and see what happens I personally have seen nothing in the regs that say you can't. I did read somewhere that if you are getting benefits before, then they are reduced when you are in jail.

Stillhere

I've being asked to attend a training certification for access to Veterans in a prison. I'm a newer VSO and have my doubts about serving incarcerated Veterans. Yes, you're correct about the reductions. However, those Veterans were already SC before committing their offenses. I appreciated the response.

They can file all they want but the problem they will hit is for the c and p. the prison won't bring the vet to vamc and the vamc will not send a doc. One angle I have tried is send a dbq to the prison and see if the doc will fill that out for the vet. Once they can't make the exam and no dbq claim will be rated based in evidence at hand. Jmho

They can file all they want but the problem they will hit is for the c and p. the prison won't bring the vet to vamc and the vamc will not send a doc. One angle I have tried is send a dbq to the prison and see if the doc will fill that out for the vet. Once they can't make the exam and no dbq claim will be rated based in evidence at hand. Jmho

Thats a good point.

• HadIt.com Elder

I wonder if you can get paid retro while you sit in jail? I doubt it but who knows? If you are in jail longer than a certain time your compensation stops while you are doing your sentence. Your wife and kids starve I guess.