VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non Agent Orange Source Of Dioxin/polychlorinated Dibenzodioxins

Rate this question

augoldminer

Question

On March 17, 1973, during Operation Endsweep Haiphong harbor North Vietnam the minesweep I was on(USS Enhance) suffered a major engine room fire.

This was our main generator room and the fire burned most of the wireing in the engine room to a crisp. almost everyone on board took in some smoke from this fire.

and i was a electrician and spent months working in the burned out engine room during the rebuilding process.

Some of this wireing dated back to when the ship was built (October 1952)and would have had PCB containing in the insulation on the electrical cables.

from the research i have done these cables would have released large ammounts of dioxin/Polychlorinated dibenzodioxins as they burned.

Since 2002 in have had two rare autoimmune disorders Castleman's disease and Sarcoidosis.and plus a heart attack and diabetes from what i have found all could be linked to dioxin/Polychlorinated dibenzodioxins exposure years ago.

Sarcoidosis is classed as a Occupational Disease among firefighters.

And they would have been exposed to burning PCB containing wiring in older buildings.

Now how do i file for service connection to dioxin/Polychlorinated dibenzodioxins exposure not linked to agent orange.

This should be enough to show that it's at least as likely as not that PCBs were in the smoke from the fire, as long as you have documentation for the fire.

"It has been reported that of about 1.4 billion pounds of PCBs produced in the U.S. between 1929 and 1977, about 750 million pounds are still in use in some form. Approximately 25% of this is estimated to be associated with the electrical utility industry where PCBs are used primarily in two types of equipment: transformers; containing mixtures (askarels) of PCBs and PCBZs, and capacitors; containing only PCBs

. .. As discussed, various researchers have shown that PCDFs are formed when PCBs are heated and that PCDFs and PCDDs are fonned when PCBZs are heated. It is therefore possible that large-scale formation of PCDFs (and PCDDs) from PCBs and askarels could occur. Fires involving electrical equipment or inefficient PCB incineration may give rise to conditions ideal for the formation of PCDFs and PCDDs.

Formation of Polychiorinated Dibenzofurans and Dioxins during Combustion, Electrical Equipment Fires and PCB Incineration

(oops, I saw someone already linked to that one. Although mine's the full pdf.)

"At Paducah, various types of cable insulation were analyzed and many samples tested had positive results ranging from 41 parts per million (ppm) to 3446 ppm PCBs. Then in 1996, PCBs were found in electrical cable from an old test reactor at the Savannah River site. At Savannah River, the PCBs may be linked to facilities with specifications for fire protection, heat or thermal cycling, water proofing, and/or chemical resistance. This is consistent with findings of the U.S. Navy, where many vessels utilize transformers, wiring, and other components that contain PCBs."

in Hazardous Materials Management: PCBs in Insulated Electrical Cable, Lessons Learned from Electrical Upgrades at the Holifield Radioactive Ion Beam Facility at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory

"EPA believes it is often practicable to remove non-liquid PCBs. including: air handling system gaskets; robber; plastic; dried applied paint that is flaked-off; electrical cable insulation;" "

EPA Letter to the navy regarding sinking Navy boats.

"In 1990, the US Navy contends that, in many instances, the jackets insulating wire cables on Navy vessels contained PCBs in concentrations greater than 50ppm." (See: statement of facts #11)

PCBs aboard the USS Lexington

Edited by camidonHP

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Berta and John you have a claim. I am no expert but my experience is that with VA you have to go through the doors they open so whether Agent Orange which you were exposed to on your ship and Johnson Island or PCB which has been won many times go with the one that gets you a rating It has also been my experience that people who have life long medical situations have to deal with depression. As far as PTSD you have to be diagnosed by VA to go anywhere wth that one.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

I would go with the presumption of disease that AO is the cause from your Vietnam days & while at ''Johnson Island)

if you have the same symptoms/disease as what AO is caused from it would be better to go with that.

Johnson Island IS YOUR KEY!

I think it would be to hard to prove this fire and the burning of the wires and from inhaling it(even if it was the same ingredients from AO , it would be hard to prove that to the VA that this is the cause, you would have to get some Dr's or scientist to research it study it and to prove your point and that would be expensive.

If its not on the AO list then you would have a problem.

that's why in my opinion it would be better to go with the presumption of disease from being exposed to AO while in Vietnam

JMO

................Buck

Edited by Buck52

There are experts that know exactly what type of chemicals are released by just about anything....

Firefighters use these experts in L&I claims all of the time.

Check with your local fire station, I bet they can put you on track. With this type of information and a nexus, you should have a winner.

• HadIt.com Elder

To the VA, A.O. is a different critter than Dioxin, even though the A.O. contaminant is Dioxin. Why?

The laws give presumption to A.O. exposure. Dioxin from other sources does not have the same presumption.

In the case of the shipboard navy, it would seem reasonable to grant presumption for many things other than A.O.,

based upon EPA lists of hazardous materials and chemicals commonly used by the navy.

• HadIt.com Elder

Theres no doubt in my mind the two are the same but getting VA to believe that is another story.

Its highly possibly the fire on the ship burning them old wires put out the chemicals as to what AO produces, but to prove that? you would have to have a well educated Dr or Professor in this speciality to testify...and even then VA has there standards about AO.

I would go with the presumption of disease that AO was the cause of my disability or conditions. on my claim

All you have to have is proof you was in Nam on the ground or at JI. via DD-214 sometimes you will be ask to take an exam to establish the condition but if you claim presumption of AO Disease The VA will accept that.

................Buck

Edited by Buck52