VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Opiates Cut Off After 7 Years?

Rate this topic

El Paso Tx- shooting at Va here of Veteran and Doctor- I would be in way surprised that the shooting here was in some way related to having Veterans Meds yanked away from them. Sad- Don't know identity of Vet or Doc yet but might know Doc. DEA and all there wisdom of pushing Va To treat us this way. : ( R.I.P.

Edited by Harley-1

• HadIt.com Elder

Its a shame that a Veteran would be pushed to this extreme. I have not had my refill of hydrocodone since Sep 13th last year. My nurse called yesterday and blame the DEA. I told her VA was as much responsible probably more so. To get 60 hydrocones every 28 days I have to take urine test and promise not to get it from Medicare Doctor.

I am thinking about just using Medicare Doc and Va to fill insulin only

Pete you at least have an option, the VA didnt even give me that option,.

I have Medicare and see private physician but i still have to go every month for a refill.

"Under the new regulations, only doctors can write hydrocodone prescriptions, and each prescription must be handwritten.

The prescriptions can no longer be called in or faxed to pharmacies.

Hydrocodone prescriptions can also now only be written for a 30-day supply, and no refills will be allowed.

“They now have to go to the physician's office, get a handwritten prescription and bring it to the pharmacist's office,” Lynch said. “What that means for the pharmacy is a lot more record-keeping, also a lot of time on the phone explaining the new rules.”

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

My new doctor just "forgot" to refill my prescription so that I could get them by UPS at the usual time. Now after calls, secure email etc I can pick them up at the VA.. That is about a 40 mile hike. Because I hate going to the VA I try and get a lot done when I am there. I have to go to slip and fall clinic, labs, and pharmacy. This will take hours.

This is a small thing for them, but a big deal for me. My opiates are 8 days late.

Hey John,

It must be just your VA. They give me opiates in the form of dirt cheap Tylenol 4, but I still find it in my mailbox once a month. I am not sure, but I have a feeling that is in a slightly less-controlled class than hydrocodone which it why they might still be doing it.