Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P&t For Depression And Ptsd

Rate this question

bionoce

Question

Is it possible to put in for P&T for PTSD and major depressive disorder if under 55? I understand the VA views PTSD as likely to improve but does anyone under 55 have P&T status? My medical records show a worsening since diagnosis with treatment.

• HadIt.com Elder

Is it possible to put in for P&T for PTSD and major depressive disorder if under 55? I understand the VA views PTSD as likely to improve but does anyone under 55 have P&T status? My medical records show a worsening since diagnosis with treatment.

You don't say how long you've had the PTSD diagnosis. I received a 100% rating, w/P&T, at age 54, dating back to when I was 44yo. So yes, it is possible.

pr

Yes, it is possible. I was awarded 100% P&T for PTSD recently. I'm 46.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got P&T at age 53 I think. I got TDIU at 52 but was denied P&T. I appealed that denial because I was denied Chapter 35. When you are denied any benefit besides a complete grant of all possible benefits you can appeal. By the time my claim was reviewed I had another IME saying I was P&T and the VA also had a year of psychiatric records of their own to consider. I don't believe in waiting for the VA to act. If you don't ask for it you often won't ever get it. I got "S" just by asking. Vets here at hadit pointed out to me that I was eligible. The VA never even considered it until I asked.

John

Thanks everyone. I've had a PTSD diagnosis since 2005 by the VA. They didn't award SC until last year (2013) 2 appeals, 2 suicide attempts, head injuries from self medicating, textbook PTSD stuff. They originally awarded 70% because I was still employed even though my ability to be around others was going downhill. I received TDIU after resigning from the government but the VA is saying I'm scheduled for a future reduction in rating and review in 2019. I'm 38 now and the PTSD has worsened since my original diagnosis. All the medication and pills have made me suicidal and zombied out. I'm just trying to figure out what I should do.

• HadIt.com Elder

You can claim the alcoholism and the injuries, as secondary to the PTSD. Is the 2013 date the date of your original claim, or did you file the claim back in 2005?? Also, when they awarded you the 100%, did they consider or mention a housebound/A&A, SMC "s" award?? They should have.

pr