VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suicide Scars?

Rate this question

BlastDaddy

Question

A few years ago my PTSD was so intense I attempted suicide twice. First by drug overdose and then two months later by slicing my wrists. "Stupid on my part"!

My two questions are;

1. Has anyone ever heard of a way to have the scars corrected so they don't look so bad?

2. Since I did slice my wrist during a PTSD panic attack would they be eligible for compensation secondary to a service connected condition?

Would really be interested in a way to correct the scars if anyone knows of a way.

as for a tatoo option, you could get like some sort of twisted indian bracelet type design, I'm sure there are things that you could get that wouldn't be to conspicious, I would check with a tatoo artist and see if they have any ideas. But like they said, your kids will be proud that you served and will understand your fight. Kids are very resiliant and understanding at the same time. That;s why kids are awesome in some of the things that they say and do! I know of a teenager that has scars all over the back of her legs from cutting. At this point now that she has gotten that under control, she doesn't care what other people think and wears shorts just like every other teenager (the short ones that every parent despises. Anyhow, when someone asks she just says that she doesn't want to talk about it to friends, but to strangers and such she just says it's none of their business and walks on. It's nobodies business why those scars are their. What matters is that you still alive to be a parent to your kids. I also was in the hospital for Suicidal attempt and the counselor told me one reason to fight is that children are 30% chance of trying a suicide attempt in their life. That got me to thinking that that is not what I wanted to pass on to my kids. It's one thing to think that they are better off with out me, it's another thing that you might be the catalyst for one of your kids lives dying because of what you did. It helped me tremendously and I try to think of that statement when I go down that siippery slope of despair. Anyhow I got on a rant and do apologize, I hope this helps in some form or fashion,

Edited by bassrunnin1

I hope you are getting the help you need for your PTSD. I suffer from PTSD/MST and my eating disorder. I know how you feel and I know that you are a good person! The suicide attempt was a direct result of your PTSD as was my damaged teeth were to my Anorexia Nervosa. The scars should be S/C secondary to your PTSD. Get them S/C and then see about getting them taken care of.

I hope you are healing internally my brother! Your family needs you here! You are worth it!

• HadIt.com Elder

Whether you get the scars fixed or not they can be a reminder not to do that again. I am convinced that most who commit suicide are mad at someone or something. If you feel suicidal first wait before acting and secondly talk to someone who you trust. It is a bad decision. My exception is for the people who are terminal and do it to end suffering cause we treat dogs better than we treat humans.

I have tried suicide and am glad I did not succeed cause today I have a good life and beautiful grand children.