Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100 Percent And Working

Rate this question

Vetta

Question

Vetta, thanks for the good wishes. How long were you diagnosed with the PTSD thru the VA? I was 30% PTSD in 2013, increased to 70% in 2014, and the VA said I am Temporary 100% Total, and PTSD review in Feb 2016, instead I just found out that I have an exam for PTSD Review next week. Not trying to ramble, just freaking out. I have a ton on dang exams next week, and I just saw on Ebennies that I have another C&P exam the following week, and I don't even know which one that is for. I was approved SSDI last year solely for PTSD, and they found me to not be able to manage my finances. I am like you buying home, good credit and always paid our bills, but it did not bother me. My wife signed one form and that's that. Good luck and do what is best for you. If you need help with your SSDI just let me know.

Vetta, thanks for the good wishes. How long were you diagnosed with the PTSD thru the VA? I was 30% PTSD in 2013, increased to 70% in 2014, and the VA said I am Temporary 100% Total, and PTSD review in Feb 2016, instead I just found out that I have an exam for PTSD Review next week. Not trying to ramble, just freaking out. I have a ton on dang exams next week, and I just saw on Ebennies that I have another C&P exam the following week, and I don't even know which one that is for. I was approved SSDI last year solely for PTSD, and they found me to not be able to manage my finances. I am like you buying home, good credit and always paid our bills, but it did not bother me. My wife signed one form and that's that. Good luck and do what is best for you. If you need help with your SSDI just let me know.

Wow that's a lot of exams!!! I was diagnosed by the VA in 2014 although I suffered with it for over 23 years. I finally reached my breaking point last year. It's really hard for me to deal with potentially having someone govern me financially. I'm pretty independent. I'm going to take you up on the SSDI help. So SSDI deemed you not able to manage your finances?

I was diagnosed in 2009, and yet the VA is still watching over my shoulder. Yes the SSA found me unfit to pay my bills. I have had over 30 C&Ps in the last 2 years, and I never get used to it. I have so many Health problems that I just want to be left alone. How will my PTSD or health get any better if I have to keep dealing with the Dam*** VA. Good luck

Vetta: The VA has notified you of intent to appoint the Financial Fiduciary, have you had the Personal Interview yet? My brother-in-law's VA Dr put "Depressed and possibly financially Incompetent" in his progress notes, within a month, the VA was setting up the Fiduciary Dept Personal interview. At the interview, my bro-inlaw stated the same things you referenced and my wife corroborated his ability to handle his own finances. The Fiduciary Social Worker agreed to just monitor my Bro-laws checking account and expenditures on a monthly basis, so no begging for $$.

As soon as I was made aware of the possible VA Fiduciary involvement, I had my Bro-inlaw, his sister and his Daughter set up a Bank Account at the same bank with all there names as joint. However, the account was listed with his sister as the Primary account holder. All funds from his Direct Deposit account were then transferred into the side account. If a VA Fiduciary is appointed, they immediately take control of all funds currently in your Direct Deposit Account.

As it turns out, my bro-inlaw probably did need the VA Fiduciary. My wife (his sis) took over paying all his bills, in reviewing his check book, it turned out his X Wife was tapping him on a monthly basis for $500+ for Vet Bills and maintenance of his dogs. When she learned he was terminal, she wanted to remarry and take care of him, Ya for the DIC.

Semper Fi

Gastone

V: It was a statement regarding the allowable income limitations and not messing with the IRS. As far as the Comp-ssdi-allowable income, that was more of a rhetorical question. Most vets finally getting IU have been getting by on at least $14K less Tax Free Comp a year. That $14 + SSDI and any Non-Gainful income should take the edge off their prior Financial problems.

As for the "Gaming the System," when you get time and or the inclination, research IU BVA Decisions. One Vet was a stock Broker getting IU, he got divorced and his wife filed Court papers saying he was misrepresenting his income. VA got a whiff of his false income filings, he was screwed. He was gaming the system while earning big $$, but got busted. After the wife realized what she did and how it was going to affect her, she tried to take it back, too late. You think this Vet will ever get an IU rating again after found to be lying once. Maybe but I think very doubtful. One of the previous Posters said something about working under the table and Self Employment income and not reporting it. A Very Bad Idea.

Semper Fi

Gastone