VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loan Fogiveness

student loans will be forgiven correct. Depending on who your loan provider will be how long it takes. I went through it and It takes a long time. They are by no means in a rush. Remember the form you fill out is processed by a company that works for Dept of Education. Once they process it, can take 90 days alone. Make sure you submit your VA award so they have the established Effective date as well as VA letters from EBenefits. They will give you the run around saying they need the VA to get back to them, which can take a long long time. I had to argue with them that the information I gave them was from the VA, so I didn't understand the need to wait for them to approve it. Once you clear this hurdle, it is sent to the loan company who is the holding the loan. You might also want to check to see if they are also the loan guarantor. I also say this because I had an issue with Sallie Mae held the loan initially, then sent it to Great Lakes then was sent back to Sallie Mae. Great Lakes was the guarantor for the loan, so they had to approve it as well. It was a 3 ring circus literally. Each would say they are waiting on someone else yet not all 3 were even remotely on the same page. Once the guarantor approves it , how ever long they take to approve and process it. It is then finally processed and discharged by the loan holder. I highly doubt you will have the same dabocal, but I was trying to give you the info, just in case. I have yet to receive the IRS form, but I will not be surprised when it comes. For me that took 6 months and countless times, I had to straighten out the people. Write everything down in a timeline, so If they ask you to go over it again, and they will, it can be expedited. I am truly greatful for student loan forgiveness even if I have to pay taxes on it. It would be taxed on amount borrowed, not including interest......

sorry for the long personal example. I would love to help anyone I can through the stuff I went through.

thanks for reading it all.

As stated above it takes a good while, but I will say that I have tried to help a few Vets that were 100% but not permanent and they were not granted the Loan Forgiveness. The Loan program specifically states that member must be 100% Permanent, or considered to be Totally Disabled for atleast 5 years. Meaning that you are either Permanent and Total, or your SSDI or VA award letter states that you have no future exams for atleast 5 years. I am Temporary VA but Permanent SSDI. In my case they would not accept the VA, even though my Mental Doc stated my PTSD along with mental conditions were not going to improve in the future. Good luck Mike, you sure deserve it bud.

Berta, I save everything also. In fact my family say they think I am a pack rat. I have cabinets full, totes full and boxes full. Good thing the kids are all out of the house as I have more rooms to put these in. I really need to take the time and do a better job of accounting them properly. It has gotten out of hand as of recent though more so. I did go through 1 big bag and found some duplicates...must have been between printers. I am on my 4th now. Plus I save web helps to. This Epson seems to use more in then my others did. Gets pretty expensive, but in the long run it will all be so worth it.

It's nice to see other hadit members checkout the forum when they have a tough time sleeping. There are several posts right now that had to be made in the middle of the night.