VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When Is Too Many Meds Too Much?

Rate this question

Guest jstacy

Question

When is taking too many meds too much.

I just looked in the Meicine Cabinet and I have several.

I take Metropolol, Nifedipine, lisonipril, clonodine and Imdur for Htn and Heart.

Gemfibrozil and Simivastatin for Chloesterol

Indomethacin and Neurontin for Spine with Hydrocodone 10 as back up for severe problems

Fiorcet and Darvocett for Migraines

No wonder my stomach is a mess. Can a person file secondary conditins to medicine taken?

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

When you can no longer recognize your wife and dog you are on too many drugs, or if you get them confused that is a sure sign. Falling of the toilet seat is another sign.

I was on Gemfibrozil and simivastatin. I had been on about a month after open heart , when I went to my family Doctor. he said I was lucky to be alive because the two didn't mix. I went for followup for the surgery a few days later and they couldn't believe the va had given me this cocktail. They took me off both and put me on lipitol, My blood work was normal within a month, and I am still alive 10 years later in spite of their efforts.

I may have my meds mixed up, but dont think so. If I am, I'm sure someone will set me straight.

If I'm right I suggest you see another Doctor right away.

kkp

• HadIt.com Elder

Jstacy,

Yes, you can file secondary due to meds, I did , my stomach was also a mess.....after 4 years the VA finaly agreed, it was only 10% but at least it is now SC'd. needless to say I no longer take there bags of meds, and have learned to deal with the pain, I will continue the plavix but that is it.

Medications have there place, but when you take several at one time I think you need to educate yourself on what they are realy doing to your body as the long term effects are not known. I think there are natural herbs that will do the same without killing yourself while trying to save yourself.

The so called legal drugs are becoming the biggest killier for our kids than Crack, and no one says a thing or very little.

We have become a drug induced nation.

Edited by JR Reihs

Always inform your PCP of any supplements or herbal products you take as these may greatly effect any RX meds you are taking.

I'm on quite a few meds and a buddy bought me something like deer claw

plant herbal supplement for cardiac problems and it really messed me up because I was already taking digoxin and these two do the same thing. My blood pressure kept dropping and I started passing out again, because I was taking too much

with this combination.

If you are having conditions that fall within the schedule of disabilities, due to medications you are taking for SC'd conditions these can be compensable,probably the easiest way would be to have your doc write a nexus letter.

Good luck,

carlie

Carlie, take as few as you can. I have been trying different pain meds and none seem to help me much. I have tried all those and others. Right on about the supplements, some can cause you to bleed from the nose etc. I just do not beleive the VA Labs according to them Im good on my A1C for diabetes ( I eat cake Ice cream and candy) All my other results were "stable" I think I need some original grass, to hell with methadone :blink:

Arch