VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

When Is Too Many Meds Too Much?

Guest jstacy

Question

When is taking too many meds too much.

I just looked in the Meicine Cabinet and I have several.

I take Metropolol, Nifedipine, lisonipril, clonodine and Imdur for Htn and Heart.

Gemfibrozil and Simivastatin for Chloesterol

Indomethacin and Neurontin for Spine with Hydrocodone 10 as back up for severe problems

Fiorcet and Darvocett for Migraines

No wonder my stomach is a mess. Can a person file secondary conditins to medicine taken?

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

When you can no longer recognize your wife and dog you are on too many drugs, or if you get them confused that is a sure sign. Falling of the toilet seat is another sign.

I was on Gemfibrozil and simivastatin. I had been on about a month after open heart , when I went to my family Doctor. he said I was lucky to be alive because the two didn't mix. I went for followup for the surgery a few days later and they couldn't believe the va had given me this cocktail. They took me off both and put me on lipitol, My blood work was normal within a month, and I am still alive 10 years later in spite of their efforts.

I may have my meds mixed up, but dont think so. If I am, I'm sure someone will set me straight.

If I'm right I suggest you see another Doctor right away.

kkp

• HadIt.com Elder

Jstacy,

Yes, you can file secondary due to meds, I did , my stomach was also a mess.....after 4 years the VA finaly agreed, it was only 10% but at least it is now SC'd. needless to say I no longer take there bags of meds, and have learned to deal with the pain, I will continue the plavix but that is it.

Medications have there place, but when you take several at one time I think you need to educate yourself on what they are realy doing to your body as the long term effects are not known. I think there are natural herbs that will do the same without killing yourself while trying to save yourself.

The so called legal drugs are becoming the biggest killier for our kids than Crack, and no one says a thing or very little.

We have become a drug induced nation.

Edited by JR Reihs (see edit history)

Always inform your PCP of any supplements or herbal products you take as these may greatly effect any RX meds you are taking.

I'm on quite a few meds and a buddy bought me something like deer claw

plant herbal supplement for cardiac problems and it really messed me up because I was already taking digoxin and these two do the same thing. My blood pressure kept dropping and I started passing out again, because I was taking too much

with this combination.

If you are having conditions that fall within the schedule of disabilities, due to medications you are taking for SC'd conditions these can be compensable,probably the easiest way would be to have your doc write a nexus letter.

Good luck,

carlie

Carlie, take as few as you can. I have been trying different pain meds and none seem to help me much. I have tried all those and others. Right on about the supplements, some can cause you to bleed from the nose etc. I just do not beleive the VA Labs according to them Im good on my A1C for diabetes ( I eat cake Ice cream and candy) All my other results were "stable" I think I need some original grass, to hell with methadone :blink:

Arch

• In Memoriam

I cannot take Propoxipine (Darvocet), Loratidaine (alergy), and hydrocodone. This combination took me to Urgent Care four times over the last year. My lungs became hyper-inflated. I had to find this out from another Project 112/SHAD Vet who saved my life, because I just didn't know and the VA wasn't going to tell me.

Guest rickb54

I have exactly 19 different medications prescribed to me for my asthma/COPD, and Back and leg pain, as well as the daily aspirn and zocor.

If I took everything that is prescribed to me I would be dead.

I almost died once because a doctor prescribed me something without first looking at my records and finding out that I was alergic to it.

I refuse to take any more pain medication untill I hurt so bad that I am in tears, beside what they prescribed is like candy I've taken it for so long.

I hate taking medication especially when it does nothing but both my stomach......

• HadIt.com Elder

I take 15 prescribed medications from the VA. Like others have mentioned I take the minimum. Having so many doctors prescribing meds is dangerous. I take meds from 4 doctors.

Don

You are right Don- these medications can interact with each other---

It pays to know what you are taking as to what you shouldn't be taking with it.

The VA only prescribed HBP meds and sudafed to my husband for over 5 years-

The Sudafed not only raised his BP (and I discovered after he died that he had no sinus condition whatsoever) but also the HBP meds were a dosage so low that it was totally inappropriate for him.

Part of their wrongful death award was based on prescribing these two counterproductive meds that hastened his death.

There is considerable info these days on the net as to what side affects meds can cause and what they should not be taken with.

Taking more than "ONE" anti-depressant at a time, may cause a toxic state. It sure made me sick.

If you can tough it through without pain meds, than your better off not taking them. On the other hand. If you constantly loose sleep or wake up screeming, from the feeling of a hot ice pick suddenly stuck in your eye, than the lack of controling the pain may drive you nuts after a while.

I havn't been treated for "Chronic Pain Syndrome" for some yrs now. I used to recieve a pain medication that lasted 12 hrs & medication for breakthrough pain. They removed the longlasting med & left me with the break through pain medication, that lasts 3 hrs. Atleast once a yr, they completely forget to sign for a months supply. Every once in a while, they space signing for it to be sent, for 2 weeks or so. I'm hearing other Vets in my area are experiencing the same thing.

I found a recent medical entry that states, "patient refuses longlasting pain medication".

Where do they come up with this crap?

According to the VA, I've been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, Brain Injury, Brain Hemorage, Fibromyalgia, cervical, thorasic & lumbar stenosis with herniated discs.

They don't mind overdosing me on antidepressants, but refuse to treat the cause of much of the depression, PAIN.

When is taking too many meds too much.

I just looked in the Meicine Cabinet and I have several.

I take Metropolol, Nifedipine, lisonipril, clonodine and Imdur for Htn and Heart.

Gemfibrozil and Simivastatin for Chloesterol

Indomethacin and Neurontin for Spine with Hydrocodone 10 as back up for severe problems

Fiorcet and Darvocett for Migraines

No wonder my stomach is a mess. Can a person file secondary conditins to medicine taken?

I am helping my sister-in - law with her Son's and on his last discharge from the VA hospital they have written down that he has HTN & IBS can you tell me what this actually is? He also takes around 16-19 Meds and he is have a hard time getting any VA Compensation. After reading some of his VA SMR I am sure that we can connect all of his problems with Mitary Service.

Yes- a vet can file for secondary conditions due to side affects of SC meds.

Some vets file this as a claim under Section 1151-

a good move unless the medication is necessary and did not involve negligence or foreable risk.

"ORDER

Compensation benefits under the provisions of 38 U.S.C.A.

§ 1151 for skin cancer based on medications prescribed by

treating VA physicians is granted."

Sec 1151 can lock a vet in however- best to ry for secondary- there are many claims at the BVA regarding the issue of medication for SC as causing additional disability.

Often good medical printouts can support this type of claim.

IMos are better.

John, HTN is the abbreviaton for Hypertension, IBS is the Abbreviation for Irritable Bowell Syndrome.

Are they service connected?

At this point I am not sure. He has a lot of medical problems which did start in military. and after he got out he in 1985 he has been in the VA hospital x a mount of times, he has boxes of VA Hospital records.

He was just 18 when he enlisted,he is now 43. his medical problems start with hives ( uticaria) back pain

(as they put it ) He was sexually asualted and then started drinking heavily. He reported the asualt but they never wrote it down. They said he was an acholic and gave him meds for it. he has had numerous medical problems while in service had a car accident and hit his head on the winshield ( he was the passanger ) but was drinking. Since his enlistment in 1981 he was in and out of hospitals and all they actually wrote down is uticaria. when he was discharged he never had a physical and on his discharge papers nothing was written down about all of his illnesses Uticaria-Back- Leg- Sinus ( which was down on enlistment papers) which he has had several sinus surgeries. I sure could use some help on connecting his problems with military. He has never really had a job, he can't hold a job down because of the uticaria and his back problems, he has had trouble getting SSD, they have turned him down neumeros times. This last time he was in the hospital his kidneys started to shut down, put they did get them working again and basically they said he had a virus of somesort.. Anyways I could go on but to connect all of his problems related to all medication and service is going to be a big task. I would appreciate any help I can get

I am not a doctor..but I also break out with hives (uticaria) when under stress...uticaria can manifest in differnt ways...and stress can be a cause...emotional, physical, pyscological or even enviromental...you may want to have a clear cut diagonis of what causes the uticaria...if you can link it to stress...and the stress can be linked to your son's assult you may have a link there to military service...

when a person has come to a point that they can no longer handle things internally...like stress your body will go into a protective gear and health problems will manifest...your son really need to go to his doctor...and ask these questions regarding the uticaria to see if it is a manifestation from stress and not other factors...

good luck

MT

• HadIt.com Elder
I am not a doctor..but I also break out with hives (uticaria) when under stress...uticaria can manifest in differnt ways...and stress can be a cause...emotional, physical, pyscological or even enviromental...you may want to have a clear cut diagonis of what causes the uticaria...if you can link it to stress...and the stress can be linked to your son's assult you may have a link there to military service...

when a person has come to a point that they can no longer handle things internally...like stress your body will go into a protective gear and health problems will manifest...your son really need to go to his doctor...and ask these questions regarding the uticaria to see if it is a manifestation from stress and not other factors...

good luck

MT

Not trying to tick someone off but I think it's urticaria.

pr

Not trying to tick someone off but I think it's urticaria.

pr

Thanks my spelling isn't the greatest without the spell check

I don't take any offense to corrections

Why did SSA turn him down?

I assume his alcohol dependency is gone, and hope it is.

One of the first PTSD vets I ever met died in his 30s due to alcohol abuse.

The VA did all they could to get him to stop drinking.

He died leaving a wife and three small son.

She did not have a chance to get DIC.

Although the VA considered this as willful misconduct on the vet's part, she could have claimed PTSD caused his drinking.

However, in documented VA records she had told the VA his heavy drinking had started way before the service and Vietnam. No DIC at all.

I believe that only a good independent medical opinion could help this type of claim and an established nexus.

If he can prove this:

"He was sexually asualted and then started drinking heavily" he has a nexus that could have caused the drinking.

Proof would be documented hospital reports, personnel reports, charges he filed,buddy statements,or

if not witnessed by anyone, any statements that reveal an "outcry" as the legal profession calls it-

meaning any evidence whatsoever that he documented this event after it happened -by telling others.

These would be buddy statements secifcally about his demeanor and stress just after this event happened and as it was described to the buddys.

Why did SSA turn him down?

I assume his alcohol dependency is gone, and hope it is.

One of the first PTSD vets I ever met died in his 30s due to alcohol abuse.

The VA did all they could to get him to stop drinking.

He died leaving a wife and three small son.

She did not have a chance to get DIC.

Although the VA considered this as willful misconduct on the vet's part, she could have claimed PTSD caused his drinking.

However, in documented VA records she had told the VA his heavy drinking had started way before the service and Vietnam. No DIC at all.

I believe that only a good independent medical opinion could help this type of claim and an established nexus.

If he can prove this:

"He was sexually asualted and then started drinking heavily" he has a nexus that could have caused the drinking.

Proof would be documented hospital reports, personnel reports, charges he filed,buddy statements,or

if not witnessed by anyone, any statements that reveal an "outcry" as the legal profession calls it-

meaning any evidence whatsoever that he documented this event after it happened -by telling others.

These would be buddy statements secifcally about his demeanor and stress just after this event happened and as it was described to the buddys.

I am not really sure why SSD turns him down, I know that he doesn't have his quaters in, but he has trouble holding down a job becuase of his pain and problems then he takes off and of course because of him taking off all the time they let him go.

As far as his sexual asualt at this time I am trying to link his drinking to this, and he does have a buddy who is writting a statement about this assult.his buddy and him where on different shifts and after the assualt he would not sleep in his own bunk but did sleep in his buddies bunk and his buddy would check on him through the night. but the officer told him not to say anything because he could get killed if he did, again he was on ship. and as far as all the meds he has taken through the years of service and out I am also trying to link that to his depression also. also the officer never wrote the assualt down. the only medical records he has are from the VA hospital, and they are kind of ignoring his problems and passing this off as who knows what.But this last time he almost died and his mother has talked to the physcoligist that he sees and she to has said that they are ignoring his medical problems.