Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Eligibility For Care In Different States

Rate this question

Agatha

Question

Is it legal to live in one state and use VA care in a neighboring state? I'm between three states, visiting with my children and family. I'm like a rolling stone. Here three months there two months and need to know the regulations. :wink:

For eligible veterans, VAMC medical care is SUPPOSED to be portable when traveling

but you are also supposed to be enrolled in a preferred VAMC.

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/hbco/hbco_faq.asp

?How do I choose a preferred facility? How do I change my preferred facility?

When you enroll, you will be asked to choose a preferred VA facility. This will be the VA facility where you will receive your primary care. You may select any VA facility that is convenient for you. If the facility you choose cannot provide the health care that you need, VA will make other arrangements for your care, based on administrative eligibility and medical necessity. If you do not choose a preferred facility, VA will choose the facility that is closest to your home. Thereafter, your preferred facility is the one where your Primary Care Team is located."

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Ms carlie! good info here!

Buck!

A Timely Note? A Vet friend's wife called me Sat saying her husband is in Non VA Hosp ICU in Naples Fl and she didn't really know what to do. Dr at hospital couldn't understand why my friend (67) didn't have Medicare Card and wanted his wife to call and get an Emergency Medicare Card to cover his Emergency Care, even though the Hospital was made aware of his VA Medical coverage. I advised her not to get the Medicare system involved, primarily due to the 20% copay (Part B) which he wouldn't have coverage for. He'd been in the ICU since last Wednesday and all his wife had done is call and leave a message with his VA Dr's nurse back at the Detroit VA Medical Center. Being that it was the weekend, I couldn't make direct contact with a VA Medical Coordinator at the Naples Fl area VA out-patient Medical Center. His wife is supposed to make the necessary calls Today.

Just so happened I'm in Naples for cpl weeks and went to visit him in ICU yesterday. After long discussion with his wife and a friend of their family, I think they will be able to get everything squared away with the VA today. I gave them my understanding of VA Policy regarding treatment at Non VA Medical Centers (Hospitals). A Vet that is eligible for VA medical benefits can receive "Emergency Medical" treatment at any Non VA Hospital and the VA will pay for the entire Emergency expense. However, there are as would be expected, some VA Requirements. The Vet, his significant other or even the Non VA Hospital Dr or Staff must notify his/hers VA Medical Center regarding his admission to the Non VA Emergency Department. The VA will then determine if transportation to the VA Hospital, for post emergency care is required. If in the VA Dr's opinion the transfer for what ever reason is not warranted, the VA Dr or other VA Medical Care Official will give authorization for the Vet to remain in the Non VA Hospital to receive the necessary post Emergency car and the VA will foot the bill. I think it's extremely important to get the Name, Rank, Serial #, Blood Type and urine specimen of who ever you talk to at the VA and get a copy of the authorizations. A $30K+ C0-Pay hospital bill could give you a heart attack, right.

Semper Fi

Gastone

I had heard of the 'Traveling Veteran Program" http://www.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=1562 but the VA's I tried to get care at hadn't.

I went to Yuma CBOC for an issue while enrolled in Phoenix VAMC, but they fall under Tucson (or vice-versa) so they didn't want to do anything with me until I was enrolled- which includes being seen by a PCP whenever.

Same in Prescott.

I guess they don't get 'credit' for you if you're not 'enrolled' in Their System: There is a Northern Arizona VA Health care System, a Phoenix VA Health care System, and a Southern Arizona VA health Care System: http://www.va.gov/directory/guide/region_flsh.asp?map=0&ID=18

Hell - I've been in all 3 regions on the same Day, so who's on first? :tongue:

Edited by Notorious Kelly

As Carlie posted, pick one, probably the closest to you, or, even your favorite if you cant get the care you need at the closer facility.

Mainly dont try shennanigans with travel pay, as you will likely get busted. The VAOIG does not like to go snooping in its own yard, and prefers to attack Veterans instead. VA employees can fake Veterans lists for medical appointments and cause the death of 200 employees and, instead of prosecution, they will likely be promoted or re assigned. They can also run a business on company time, arrange for parties that cost taxpayers millions, and all sorts of internal theft, illegally destroy Veterans evidence costing him mucho benefits, or even fail to properly clean equipment infecting Veterans with serious illnesses, but if a Veteran should dare make a mistake on how far it is to his VAMC for travel pay, and collect a few extra bucks, then the Vet will be busted every time and the VA employee or executive will collect annual bonuses.

I had heard of the 'Traveling Veteran Program" http://www.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=1562 but the VA's I tried to get care at hadn't.

I went to Yuma CBOC for an issue while enrolled in Phoenix VAMC, but they fall under Tucson (or vice-versa) so they didn't want to do anything with me until I was enrolled- which includes being seen by a PCP whenever.

Same in Prescott.

I guess they don't get 'credit' for you if you're not 'enrolled' in Their System: There is a Northern Arizona VA Health care System, a Phoenix VA Health care System, and a Southern Arizona VA health Care System: http://www.va.gov/directory/guide/region_flsh.asp?map=0&ID=18

Hell - I've been in all 3 regions on the same Day, so who's on first? :tongue:

Kelly,

Thanks for the link on that directive. It expired in 2012 but I'm sure it's been updated or

re-written somewhere.

I am still going to print it out for when / if I travel.

I think it's good to have printed out for IF a VAMC says - no, we can't / won't, help with

your medical needs.

Thanks again : - )