VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Blue Water Ao Update

Berta

Question

From Carol Olszenacki, Blue Water Navy.org, that was posted at Facebook

by Congressman Chris Gibson.

"I am pleased to report that we have a Senate companion bill for our legislation to help Vietnam veterans exposed to Agent Orange:
http://www.stripes.com/…/agent-orange-debate-renewed-by-bil…
The Senate bill was introduced by Senators Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) and Steve Danes (R-MT). I appreciate their support. In the House, we’re up to 170 co-sponsors, including 74 Republicans and 96 Democrats representing almost every state in the Union. This is encouraging progress, but we will continue to engage with the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs to see that our bill is brought to a vote and signed into law.
The Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act is constituent-driven legislation. Carol Olszanecki of Ellenville, who lost her husband to Agent Orange exposure, has been an extraordinary advocate and source of guidance. I also want to thank Susie Belanger, John Rossie, and John Wells for their hard work in support of this bill. We will not relent in our efforts to see that these veterans receive the benefits they deserve!"

• Like 2

9 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The continuing fight involving "Blue Water" sailors is far from over.

Even if the VA were to grant presumptive status, it will still leave an open issue.

So far the VA has refused to grant legitimacy to the Australian Study involving fresh water distillation

systems and their contamination.

Why?

It's simple (in my opinion)

To do so would mean that sailors that served on such ships long after contamination occurred

would potentially be eligible also for presumptive benefits. Lots of dollars at stake!

You bet....no update yet on the Danang Harbor case ,Chuck., at the CAVC.......

John Rossie did a great show with us about 2 weeks ago on this issue at hadit blog radio. It is in our archives.

And the lawyer for the CAVC vet joined us a few weeks ago here

you can use his access link to read the CAVC case.......no update yet

• Like 2

• HadIt.com Elder

As I understand it, a federal judge recently ruled against one of the general blue water cases, stating that congress gave the va secretary the authority to decide what was and was not covered under the A.O. rules.

(And that it was up to congress to change things if it desired to do so.) While I don't like the ruling by a single judge, I do believe that it will take congress passing one or more of the related bills to resolve things for the better.

As to Da Nang, I personally was in water of the bay, the river mouth, and the river itself, while serving on an LST. It tied up to the De Long? pier, and also with it's bow ramp down and on the river bank's LST ramp just before a bridge.

Fortunately, records existed (AF records, even though I was Navy) that proved "Feet on Ground", so I was able to short circuit the Da Nang debacle, and the earlier hassles over brown and blue water.

It also turned out that two destroyers that I was assigned to for annual active duty training in the 1970's were previously in Vietnam, and may or may not have been exposed to A.O.

• Like 1

Rossie is an extraordinary man and has given live testimony at the H VAC in the past along with Commander Wells.

Hopefully John Wells will be on Fox nes soon again to discuss this issue and the possible outcome of the pending CAVC case.

Also it is always possible that more AO presumptives will get on that AO list.

There were only two when I first started helping vets. PN and chloracne. And hardly any vet could fit into the PN regs.

John, the radio show JR (Rossie) did with us here recently with you and Jerrel and me was fabulous.and I hope many others will listen to it in time.....

I sure am glad the shows are archived as there are Blue Water Navy vets out there who might not join us here until something positive happens for them, at the CAVC or through these amendments that have been proposed in their behalf.

Edited by Berta (see edit history)
  • Like 1

These are the Korea AO regulations:

"Veterans who served in a unit in or near the Korean demilitarized zone (DMZ) anytime between April 1, 1968 and August 31, 1971 and who have a disease VA recognizes as associated with Agent Orange exposure are presumed to have been exposed to herbicides. These Veterans do not have to show they were exposed to Agent Orange to be eligible for disability compensation for these diseases.

VA and the Department of Defense must determine the Veteran’s unit operated in the DMZ area and the Veteran was physically there.

VA's final regulation presuming herbicide exposure for these Veterans took effect on February 24, 2011."

- See more at: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/locations/korea.asp#sthash.AGW84tzI.dpuf

You seem to be out of that time frame.

But there is more info here:
http://cybersarges.tripod.com/aoinkorea.html

such as the Camp Casey NHL vet who was awarded for AO exposure....

Nothing is impossible:

http://www.ibtimes.com/judges-surprise-ruling-veterans-exposure-toxic-chemicals-us-military-base-called-turning-1569225

And James Scripps, a hadit member, and since then a few other vets have proved exposure to AO in CONUS.

Where else did you serve and what disability do you have that is on the AO presumptive list?

• Like 1