Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Claims

Rate this question

lcurle

Question

Hey all,

I just put in a claim. Since I was denied Tendonitis for my R ankle and due to the chronic nature of it, I filed for Tendonosis. In addition to that I filed a secondary "Chronic Back Pain" to my lower lumbar degeneration as well as IU due to said conditions. Since I am in now unable to move very well, 32 years old btw, I am debating about going to the VAMC ER since the muscle relaxers and naproxin that was prescribed to me does nothing. The only thin that touches my pain and allows me to move freely is cannabis. Unsure what to do, this morning I was unable to move until my wife helped me out of bed. Debating about going to the VA today....any advice is appreciated. If this is what my life is going to be like unsure if I can handle it.

• HadIt.com Elder

When you file a secondary claim in almost all situations you need a medical opinion that states that your secondary condition is direct or indirect result of the primary disability. Your doctor needs to explain the relationship between the primary established disability and the secondary disability you are claiming. For instance, you have Diabetes presumptive to AO exposure established. You develop a kidney condition that you believe is a result of your diabetes. You need a doctor to say your kidney condition with a DX is secondary to the DMII. This is just an example. Another example, you knees begin to really hurt you and you have an established injury to your ankles or ankle. Your doctor must make the case that your knee problem is a result of the SC ankle disability. The VA will not connect the dots for you. Even in slam/dunk cases like diabetes and foot neuropathy the doctor must state the obvious. I know because I was denied at first for PN secondary to DMII. I had the evidence and the VA denied it based on some idiot C&P exam. I won on appeal. The VA's job is to protect the treasury and your job is to get the money. They will play dirty.

John

since i am service connected for my back, i am curious what xrays have been done? have they done either a cat scan and/or an mri? if so what did it say? my last lumbar mri (last may) report was 3 pages long; five herniated discs, foraminal and spinal stenosis, slipped vertebrae, 2 torn discs, arthritis and an absence of proper curve in the spine. for this, i am 40 percent and have been told thats as high as i get unless my spine fuses.

They told me they do not do MRIs at my va.....wtf I keep reporting ankle pain and twisting my ankle which should be a sc based on SMR. When I asked my pcp about it he keeps sending me for X-rays. X-rays do not show the ligament and tendon damage like and MRI. Now with my back getting jacked up more and more I wonder if he will do anything. Do I need to talk to patient advocate at the va?? Email mr. McDonald?? The rhetoric is now starting to take a told on my personal health and now my family financial situation since I cannot work.

Ok I think I get it now. Let's see if my pcp will play ball and make an attempt at fixing me.

you can try the patient advocate. i have had limited success. but i have had better success talking with the chief medical officer at our local clinic.

FINALLY got an MRI scheduled for my back and my PCP is going to refer me to pain management for epidural injections.

C&P today was for "Hip pain" although I never claimed that, what ever. ROM is less than normal and sent for xrays, examiner said it doesn't appear that I have a valid claim for hip pain.