Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Vso Meeting

Rate this question

spearhead91

Question

Hello all,

We had our first VSO meeting to start the claim process. So this will be my official start date I guess. Also, claimed for GWI/GWS for a few of the symptoms that I had not thought of and thought best to add all I could think of or what is my SMR etc. and PCP's.

I've been reading here for a few weeks learning, noting, and quite frankly you'all make me proud! Keep up the great work of supporting each other!

Spearhead91

Question: Was the VSO rep supposed to give me a copy of all the POA and claim forms we filled out? Or do they mail you a copy? I feel dumb right now about this. I did ask what do you expect time wise for the next step. He said 2 to 3 months. We filled out the forms and I gave some documents from my PCP, didn't want my copy of STR's I have. I sent a follow up email that night thanking them for starting this off for me because it's a bit overwhelming at first, still is. I also sent an email with some additional documents I had with me that day but we didn't get a chance to give them. Granted I was there for two hours at least and we did cover a lot of ground as I have a lot of issues. I wish I could post them but I'd rather keep them private right now. Also, during the gathering evidence step I should be able to add supporting documents, new MRI's, findings etc correct?

Almost to the furious point finding out the original VSO Rep I saw no longer works there and was not even a month. I was wondering why so long of delays in response to emails etc. Now back to the original person I was supposed to be working with in the first place.

Question will that require a new POA?

VSO POA is for the organization, not an individual, so your existing POA is still good unless you change organizations. I have never gotten a "name" nor ever seen the same Rep twice in a row with Texas Vet Commision, so...don't be surprised if it switches hands a lot. I can't even get TVC to return my calls. Seriously.

Using a VSO? OK, but don't ever think that you can sit back and rely on the VSO to prosecute your claim at 110% effort. VSOs are human and along with that comes all of our human failings. Not all VSOs possess the same level of experience, knowledge and the old fire in the belly. You can trust but also you must verify everything that is done on your behalf. A misstatement or misfiling by your VSO POA can ruin or at the very least add years in appeals to your claim.

It your claim and in the end your sole responsibility. NOBODY is going to care about your claim as much as you. GET INFORMED. Ignorance may be bliss, but not when it comes to your $$$$$$.

Semper Fi

Gastone

• HadIt.com Elder

From the beginning a veteran files his claim, its a good practice to read and underline important information and hi-lite it and same with all dates hi-lite all of them too & keep in a safe place with all your VA documentation.

Keep all correspondence Letters from the VA and Always get a certified return receipt on everything you send the VA. kept all your receipt's.& make double copies of everything pertaining to your claim.

ReQuest C-File is a good date to copy and keep in a safe place.

All medical documentation medical from VA and Private Sector.

When it pertains to your claim never let any thing go by the way side chances are you will need it someday...make those copies.

I have what I call my own home- made ''C-file everything is in Alphabetical order for fast search!

...................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Thanks all for info and gut check about all this. Trust the big word. Only a few have it. Funny thing it's back to the person I was originally was supposed to meet that first day. I'm seriously debating pulling from this VSO and go the VFW, (I'm not even at the one month mark in the overall process) I only just joined though and don't have a Post just a new member at large now.