Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Audiogram Hearing Test!

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What would this test show from a board certified otolaryngology MD & State certified License Audiologist. (IN PART)

Audiogram was obtained showed his best hearing at 80 decibels on the right side at 1000 hertz, and 90 decibels on the left side at 1000 hertz.

his hearing, his hearing at lower and higher frequencies was around 110 decibels on the right and he showed no hearing on the left side at a the higher and lower decibels.

His Tympanograms are normal on both sides, His speech reception thresholds are at 95 decibels on the right side and 100 decibels on the left side.

His Maryland CNC word discrimination score was at 0% at 95 decibels and at 44% on the right side with 105 decibels and 40% on the left at 105 decibels.

Anyone have any Idea what this means or how to read this? and what is your impression of this test??

Hadit elder member

Broncovet had a Vertical and Horzional reading chart here a few weeks ago...I can't find it now.

I don't know how to read this chart?

Anybody know how?

Thanks In Advance

....................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

You can compare the "new" numbers with the "old numbers" to see if its worse. However, my experience has been VA "low balls" the Veterans hearing loss, then maybe gives him an "increase" later, even if the numbers are not that much worse.

Does this Veteran have tinnitus? Many Vets with hearing loss do have tinnitus. Its good for an additional 10%.

Also, is this Veteran working? With hearing that poor, its difficult to imagine that this Veteran can communicate well enough to maintain substantial gainful employment. If not, apply for TDIU. Hearing loss this poor (deaf) would justify IU, IMHO.

It is very hard to get the SC for hearing loss, let alone an increase. I personally know multiple Vets with hearing aids and they only get 10%. I am SC as severe hearing loss in R ear and Mild in L Ear, yet both were granted at 0%. Thank you for helping your fellow Vet bud.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes he is SC for tinnitus and no he is not working because of his Bad Hearing, I am trying to him get him TDIUbut I know how hard it is to convince the VA to rate this high for Hearing loss.

I told the veteran to get notarized statements from family and friends and co workers & a letter from his ex-boss to attest to his bad hearing we need all the evidence in his favor so the VA has to to the right thing.

The only thing I think will hurt him is he never was in Voc-Rehab he mention he can't hear good enough to be in a class room and just never requested voc-Rehab, but I think he should get awarded with GOOD medical evidence now that he is SC.

He has Fitted VA Hearing Aides but says there not much help.

This is his first increase he has been SC AT 50% for 5 years now.

Thanks broncovet

.......................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Navy04

Yes I agree with you it is hard to get Increase for hearing loss, were trying to get everything lined up and then submit his claim for increase, they should increase his hearing to the proper % even if they use the extra scheduler 4.16 (b) to rate him TDIU because he can't work and his lack of education he can't do computer sedentary jobs he is getting SSDI because of his Bad Hearing for the last 2 years were throwing that in there too.

Also CFR's 485 ( c ) and 486 (a)&(b) are important here.

I have helped numerous veterans get SC and a rating % with different disability's and some got 100% P&T and some have got TDIU P%T.

And some only got like a 10% or 30% 40%ect,,ect,, one got 70% one time which surprised both of us.

I try to think of everything before we file the claim.

Much Thanks to everyone here at hadit.

.................Buck

Edited by Buck52

Buck,

I have been having hearing problems since I was on AD and have been wearing an aide since 83! Filed for it in 84 and was denied but have stayed with it and finally won SC with a rating of 70% + 10 for T. But have an appeal in now for an EED.

The numbers for your friend shows at least 70% and maybe more. There is a chart were you cam input those numbers that another member posted I think it was Husky but not sure. If I find it I will get it to you.

Stillhere

Buck52

Any audio test done by an outside ENT or audiologist must be done to VA standards or they will not be accepted on a claim. Check the following CFR to clarify this.http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5&node=38:1.0.1.1.5#se38.1.4_185

You must have results at 1000,2000,3000 and 4000 hertz for each ear and then you must have the Maryland CNC word test at three different DB levels as well. The best thing to do is file a claim for hearing loss and have a C & P done by the VA. If your hearing is as bad as indicated on your test and you have proof that it happened on active duty then you will be Sc'd for it. Also, do you have ringing in your ears, if so you will get rated for tinnitus as well. You can only get 10% for tinnitus. I am currently rated at 30% for hearing loss and I can tell you it took me 10 years to get that. You have to be dam near deaf to get rated for HL.

boomer i hear that (no pun intended)

My hearing is not horrible relatively speaking, definitely compared to the veteran described above.

however i am seeing differences of 10+ across the board in my audiometric data between recruit training and now. Can i reopen? i know and dont think i am compensable, however what i do want is a 0%, to recognize that i have had hearing loss due to explosions and gunfire so that as it gets worse it is already noted, etc.

Edited by USMC_VET

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints