Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Is Not A Gift!

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

Veterans,

After reading some posts here and other sites and even on some BVA decisions. we veterans need to remind each other that in cases where there is Retro (any amount!) that is money and benefits we should have had all along and not a gift!

In my case like many of the Vietnam generations we wanted nothing from the VA! And basically that is what they gave us, Nothing! Now because of so many of our brothers and sisters dying they were politically forced to recognize that a bunch of us deserve and NEED help. The politically push is what did it after so many dying!

I can remember when I got back from Nam for me it was adios amigo to the Army. Even though when I mustered out I had acquired a significant hearing loss while serving, so much so that they weren't going to let me out without a waiver and keep me for two weeks. I then had no idea what that meant and signed the waiver and got out.

Fast forward 13 years and I am married with a kid just born with a bad heart problem and need constant care and I couldn't hear him when he cried!

So I went to the VA hospital thinking well they will give me some help to fix this problem which had gotten very bad in just 13 years. I asked for help and some how another I ended up in the C&P office to get a hearing test and then they said they would get back to me. I had no idea what that meant? I just wanted some hearing aide help!

Well being as I just started my family money was tight especially with my son's problems and now I needed to buy hearing aides and have a testing done just so I could watch him.

After about oh maybe a month I get this one page letter from the VA saying like 3 words total, No Service Connection found!

Now that really floored me and brought tears to my eyes among other things that I said screw you comes to mind! So I packed up my lost faith and started working two jobs and we finally made it but it was not easy. Even if I just had the money for my aide and the doctors tests that would have helped! I grew very bitter about the VA, Army and Government altogether!

Then comes Agent Orange and all the politics and Computer sites Like Hadit and suddenly the VA was forced to give us our benefits we should have had all along!

Now I have a case for my hearing loss that if approved by the BVA will give me a sizable retro BUT IF they do I will not be half as excited or thankful for their help because they did not help me when I needed it BAD!

I hope everyone on this site and guests reading this post know that I am thank full and would fight again for my Country but bitter tastes are hard to swallow!

Stillhere

Moderators I needed to vent/rant!

Still, unfortunately so many us were just alike. Wanting to get on with our lives, never realizing how the VA screwed the Vet when he needed help.

Yeah those waivers were phony most of the time....

They tried to get the vet to believe they had to sign the waiver and also believe they could not ever claim for comp for whatever the waiver disability involved.

What a crock of crap.

You are right Compensation is not a gift.

It is payment from our grateful nation for your sacrifice of mind or body,,solely due to your military service.

I think that fact alludes most of the people in the VA system.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Nothing wrong with Venting Bud, and we are always here for you, God Bless!!!

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

• Founder

Compensation - something, typically money, awarded to someone as a recompense for loss, injury, or suffering.

Not a welfare check, not a handout. It is earned not given. No veteran should feel that it is greedy to seek compensation for an injury or a loss. That is just wrong and there is no reason that the VA, VSO's or anyone designated to handle your claim should make you feel like you are being greedy.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

The thing that really bothers me is when a veteran files a claim any claim. VA has the opportunity to completely assist a veteran by reviewing his/her entire file and either compensate the veteran or inform the veteran of the condition(s) that he or she could be compensated for if more medical evidence was given. Yes, some claims would be denied. But VA has to review the file anyway, it is part of their job but instead VA either refuse to review the entire file or just ignore reviewing the entire file and the veteran gets caught in filing appeals to get VA to do their job. Even if VA does not inform the veteran of the claim(s) he or she could file at least review the file for the claim(s) that the veteran do file for. It is sad and horribly wrong when a veteran has to explain the VA regulations to VA employees that do not understand the regulations or to VA employees that do not understand what they read. It gets under my skin something awful. I know I have focus and concentration problems but I understand what I read even if I have to read it over and over but don't lie and cover it up and say that the evidence doesn't warrant compensation and then years later say oops you were right but we can't pay you all the way back to your original claim because you did not meet the criteria and the evidence was in the file all along but VA still choose to make the veteran file another appeal. No it is not a gift it is owed.

Sorry did a little venting myself

• HadIt.com Elder

It happens to most of us, this is why most of us keep fighting them.

eventually the veteran will win, although there's no excuse for the long waits.

And no excuse for denials when the veteran as supporting evidence.

I believe there is no excuse for the VA DR'S AND RATERS to play God. & members of congress

that's how they make this veteran feel.

.................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!