• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Members Opinion Needed!

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello,

As most you guys know I was recently diagnosed with PTSD and Moderately Severe Depression by the VA in June 2015...code 9411 not sure on this rating?

also Unspecific Depression disorders code for that is 9435...which for the rating I would ask for that suites my symptom's would be 70% I understand there suppose to award/rate the highest of the two!

My dilemma is I cant make up my mind rather to file a claim or not, I am getting TDIU P&T on a combined rating of 90% for servere hearing loss/tinnitus, been that way now for almost 14 consecutive years. (paid at the 100%rate) Iam well over over 55..actually 63

IF I get a 70%rating with PTSD this would qualify for SMS's House Bound &some extra income If I win the claim and it sure would help out.

I just don't know what to do.? need suggestions and opinions & I do know it all boils down to my choice I realize that but just needed some suggestion as what maybe you guys would do if you were in my shoes?

If I decide to file I need to file as this as a new claim correct? not an increase claim or FDC claim.

I can't file it as FDC because I need some STR's and more Service Records to prove some stressors, as evidence this PTSD is because of my Military Service From RVN. years later.

The VA social Worker says this can happen to Veterans years later , as same as what my MH doc said & she a license BOARD CERTIFIED VA Physiatrist.

Matter fact the physiatrist ask me if I was going to file a claim? I told her I don't know yet?

So as my friends & experience members with compensation claim here on hadit (in your opinion or advice) do you have any suggestion as to rather or not I should file a New Claim with this and just hope for the best?

I trust everyone here on Hadit especially the elder members such as Ms Berta, Jbasser, Jerrel Cook, asknod, Ms tbird, Carlie, Phillip Rogers, Georgiapapa , broncovet, Pete 53, Pete 992, Chuck 75 John999,Gastone,and other hdit members as well.

Thanks you all for your support and your valuable Advice.

I'm at loss right now and can't think very well....and just need a little help on this matter, as my spouse wanted me to ask on here, as she too trust all the hadit members vs any VSO or Vet Center, or any other Veterans organization.

We both Appreciate you guys!

..........Buck & Ms Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone

yes &yes, as for as getting reduced sure it would be devastating.

I am not worried about a reduction , but with the VA they can do how they please it seems and can call any veteran up that has not met the 20 year rule. if they call me for an exam on my SC TDIU would be a waist of time and cost unjust $$ to the VA...So actually not a brilliant move on there part but we all know how brilliant the VA is right!

As for as this new disability that has arose within me (actually I always have had it) I never mention it to anyone, just the spouse as been wanting me to get help for years and she mention this to my VA PCP and she got the Ball rolling.

So I basically wanted to know if I have any kind of shot with this new claim? I need to get some of my Service Records and treatment records , So filing a FDC is no good or filing for increase, I need to go with a New Claim.

Thanks for your input Gastone

......................Buck

14 years with IU is pretty solid. That being said, you are grandfathered in to the rules that were in effect 14 years ago, new rules will not change your benefits unless you opt to use them. I cant understand why you would do that unless they increased your rating.

Now, if the PTSD rated under 45%, it would not carry you over to the 100% scheduler rating (that's considering that the 90% you have is actually a full 90%, not 85 rounded up-pull your old documents to verify that info).

File the claim

Thanks Buck.

A Bilateral loss @ 110 decibels with a speech discrimination at 35 one ear and 0 in the other ear, is "deaf" for all intents and purposes. I can not believe that the VA did not rate you 100 percent for hearing loss.

Im very hard of hearing myself...with much much better numbers than you, and, yet, I can not even watch tv or a movie without closed captions. Because I am HOH, I understand why you spend so much time on hadit..most of the other stuff requires you watch a video without close captions.

In my town there was a "course" (seminar) on "Living with hearing loss". It was excellent. It was mandantory when I got my hearing aids from the state before I got them from VA.

There are a few "takeways" from this course I will share, as I beleive they will help you.

1. If you go to a resteraunt, DO NOT tell the waitress you are HOH. This assumes "they" will know what to do! They probably dont know! Instead, say,

"Im hard of hearing, so could you face me so I can read your lips when you speak?" OR,

"Im hard of hearing, so could you speak louder?" Or

"Im very hard of hearing, so would you show me where your menu is in print, and Nod your head when you understand and agree"

You should not expect the non HOH community to understand how to accomodate you. You have to tell them.

2. If VA calls you, (and you have a close caption phone, like I do) then you can tell them "Im HOH, so could you please email me or I may not understand?"

3. At my local college you can/I did take sign language classes. However, this is mostly useless unless you have family members learn to sign also, as you are unlikely to remember how to sign if you never use it. Its still good, tho, as it can put you "in the loop" with the HOH community. I love the HOH community!!! They are experts at communication alternatives. If the speak to you, they tap you on the shoulder and wait to speak until you can see each others face and read lips, if you are a lip reader. You can, however, ask others to do this also! The HOH community does not consider your asking to repeat as a chore which they dismiss with "never mind", or "I was not talking to you". They recognize these responses are insulting to the HOH. It indicates they dont want to bother to repeat for you!

4. If your family wants to have a conversation with you before you have your hearing aids on in the morning, ask them to wait until they are in, or ask them to face you so you can read their lips. Famalies are some of the worst, sometimes. They should know better, but we have to constantly remind them. It seems like my wife often expects me to hear her when Im in another room, and that is largely impossible for me. I have to ask her over and over not to do that.

5. Control the seating. Say, "could you please sit next to me (or across so you can see their lips), so that I can hear you?" Dont expect the NON HOH community to know this.

6. Do ask for help. If you dont ask, then dont be suprised when you get left behind.

There are "stages" for hearing loss:

1. Denial. " I hear just fine, if you would only stop mumbling or speaking too quiet."

2. Acceptance

3 Withdrawal. Withdrawal often happens in the elderly. They simply "turn to another chanel" and ignore the spoken word. This is very bad. Its highly depressing.

There are several ways to deal with hearing loss:

1. Pretend you hear them. She related the story of a lady speaking to the mailman. The HOH said, "Oh that's great..I hope you have a good day". After the mailman left, she said did you hear what the mailman said? "Heck no, Im sure it was the usual hi, how are you".

Well the mailman told you the other mail carrier died, and you told them it was great. Pretending is not good.

2. Dominate the conversation. This is my method. I know that when I am talking, I always know what I say. Its not that good. Its not very popular.

3. Withdraw. The worst.

4 Ask for help and compensate! There are many things we can to do "compensate" for our hearing loss. A very good way is to ask for an email instead, then you can read it over..and over. I had my VARO director email me instead of call, and now I have a record of every word, so he can not say, "I did not say that". Im kind of a "touchy feely" person, so I like it when people "tap me on the shoulder" to get my attention. HOH people sometimes hold each others hands, and can thus communicate by touch, by facial expressions, to "make up" for their hearing loss. The HOH community is generally much more "touchy feely". Some people dont like you touching them, but, mostly that is not in the HOH community. They expect it, often even with strangers. It compensates for your hearing loss. If you touch someone in the hearing community, that sometimes has sexual connotations. But not so in the HOH community. Touching is "just talking" with your hands. They are also more open about expressing emotions on their face. You can feel the empathy by facial expressions much more than "Im so sorry..that is just awful".

The HOH community is very accomodating. They know some people want to see your face to communicate. Others may want you to speak louder.

Others may want to sign to communicate. Some may not sign and they want to write their words. They often will do any of these and almost instantly recognize which one you want. The hearing community does not understand.

Getting together with other HOH will likely help you. They will share ideas on how to communicate. I try to meet with HOH at every possible opportunity. I hope I helped you with this.

Oh, and Buck, I almost forgot. File the claim!

Almost every college in the USA has communication classes, and recognizes the value of communications. A few examples of communication classes are:

1. English. Most of us had 12 or more years of English!

2. Writing/Literature/reading, etc. Again, this is all about communicaton.

3. I even took college classes on "marriage and family", "public speaking", and almost every class requires communication. If you look at foreigners who come here and do not speak English, you will notice they are hugely disadvantaged. If they DO get a job, its probably pulling onions, making beds, washing dishes, etc. Its the worst jobs in the town, if they can get a job at all. This is how important our hearing is.

Helen Keller explained it well. She said she was both blind and deaf. IF she could chose, she said she would rather have her hearing than her vision, because, "Blindness disconnects you with "things", while deafness disconnects you with people." You dont have to be disconnected.