Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD C&P what is it like?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What is a C&P  Exam of PTSD like?  I mean what type of questions does the Doc ask?...Do they pay attention has how your dressed &  your body language ect,,ect,,

or do you just set there and answer the questions?  what happens if you get pissed during the exam?

My patients are very then these days.

Any opinion and suggestions welcome

Thank you in Advance

...................Buck

also i forgot to mention that you should be very careful when they ask about your childhood, parents, etc.

If they can somehow twist a statement like "yeah i guess my dad drank a bit, but no more than anyone else" into "Veteran reports childhood trauma due to at least one parents alcoholism during early stages of development..." they will try and say you had a mental condition prior to service.

I would also perhaps recommend recording the C&P exam, look at your state and see if is a "one party state" or not.  out of courtesy even if it is i would notify them and have them consent to recording on tape.  I will be doing this at my exams from here on out since i am in a one party state and my last C&P ewas....iffy... regarding what i said vs what was recorded on the exam.

• HadIt.com Elder

I been going to the MH VA Therapist, and it don't seem to be helping me at all...he keeps asking the same questions over and over  and  for me to drop the rope I'm hanging on to and my life will get better, I told him I can't get these THOUGHTS OF THE PAST & going out of my mind, he says think about something fun to do ,don't think of the past or things that happen in Vietnam, I said hell I been trying to do that for years  some days  are better than others but some days are a disaster, what is therapy SUPPOSE to do for a PTSD  Vet?

I Had 5 weekly sessions now and I go see the physiatrist next month  and right now I'm about to explode.

I feel more uneasy since this therapist  has been seeing me, what  should I do?

I don't like to talk about  the events from nam but I can't forget them either  they come and go and he seems like he don't understand that, I told him I can't just drop the rope & I HAVE MY ANIXITY AND FRUSTRATION ABOUT TO EXPLODE..

I BEEN having memory problems, I been asking the same questions here on hadit  not because I want to  but I forget about the questions I been asking about, my mind is running 1000mph, and I am helping another veteran with his claim at present  and I'm sure he don't won't some knuckle head messing up his claim, I usually listen to the hadit radio -podcast radio shows with jbaser and jerrel cook  but I've missed the last two   because I forgot.

seems I have got worse seeing this therapist??

should I ask the docs for some ''focus factor''??

any suggestion?

...............Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

My C&P exam for PTSD was one of the worst experiences I have had since I got out. This was done last month.

The examiner started with threats - lots of them. I had an exam done by a private psychologist, whom the examiner called a "ringer". He also made numerous insults about my VA psychologist. He seemed to have no qualms with tearing everything out from under me from the beginning of the exam, with a grin on his face.

He seemed disinterested during the exam, only trying to call me out as a liar whenever he got the chance.

It was hostile and awful. I hope to never have to do anything like it again, and I haven't been able to function very well since. I read his exam, and he purposefully left things out that would help my claim. At this point, I am groveling at the feet of an evil organization, with the alternatives being suicide or homelessness.

My advice is to fight bluntness with bluntness. Make sure you tell them, point blank, what your symptoms are. Don't leave anything out. They will threaten you about telling them if you are suicidal, for example, but it is important to get all of your symptoms on record. Don't expect any empathy. Just assume their job is to use whatever they can to lowball or deny you.

I also don't recommend lying, exaggerating, or pretending to be someone you are not. However, some parts of the truth are more important than others. Stick with your trauma, your symptoms, and how they affect you on your worst days. Look over the CFR for ptsd http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp and the dbq for ptsd http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960P-3-ARE.pdf and make sure they don't miss a single symptom that you have.

Good Luck

tdubya82,

what do you mean the examiner made threats? if you answer his questions? or do you mean they try to make you look like your lying?

I BEEN having memory problems, I been asking the same questions here on hadit  not because I want to  but I forget about the questions I been asking about, my mind is running 1000mph, and I am helping another veteran with his claim at present  and I'm sure he don't won't some knuckle head messing up his claim, I usually listen to the hadit radio -podcast radio shows with jbaser and jerrel cook  but I've missed the last two   because I forgot.

any suggestion?

...............Buck

Buck,

With mental health just like any other doctor, you are free to get a second opinion or change them at any time.

I have dropped a MH provider before (from the Vet Center), with her it was not because she didnt know what she was doing, we just didnt click.  personally i feel that Vet Centers are better than the VA.  They were started by vietnam vets who didnt trust the VA.  The VA has recognized how good they are though and now funds them, however unlike the VA docs whatever you say to them is not put into the system YOU HAVE TO GIVE YOUR PERMISSION for anything to be shared with the VA. 

If you feel this doc is not helping you, if you are getting worse, go find someone else.  dont be afraid to call up and say that doc is not bad at their jobs, its just not working with you.  With a normal doc its easy to evaluate based on facts.  I feel bad, the doc says its probably X but i feel its Y and they wont test for it.  go and get a doc to test for Y.  With mental health its so much more about emotion, do you feel comfortable with them, do they push you and challenge you in therapy or just shove you off with drugs.  you should also ask yourself if maybe they are right and you should try and do what they are saying.  Personally i feel that a therapist should be taking us out of our comfort zones and trying to get us to do stuff we dont want to, it might help and it might not, we dont know until we try. everything in MH is unique, somethings work GREAT for one vet with PTSD while with us it may not work one bit.

As far as what is therapy for PTSD supposed to do?

Once again my opinion...but i feel we will NEVER be "cured" and back to normal (pre combat).  Personally i dont want to be that person, who i want to be is someone who can deal BETTER with normal life, normal challenges, not be locked into a prison of my memories, to be a better husband and father, to enjoy life as much as possible.  What therapy is for me is not what it is for you, so you have to really think "where do i want to be, what do i want to change." and list those goals, they could be as simple as "go out in public without having panic attacks" or "go to the supermarket" or as big as "hold down a job" or have a healthy relationship.

Figure out what you want.  this should be one of the first things any therapist asks you and keeps track of and works you towards.  Therapy is a must for us, however 99% of what we can accomplish ultimately lies in our court.  we have to work at it, and its us who changes, the therapist just helps show you the way and provide you new tools to do so. 

In short, if they arent working for you get a new one, but also decide what you want and maybe they are doing the right thing.  I know i was not receptive to being pushed for awhile.  in some ways i was pushed was not good, in others it was very good. 

Good Luck Brother, we are here for you when you need it.

any suggestion?

...............Buck

buck, if you are having problems remembering your posts. Just do like me go to your profile and your posts are right the Rest!

Stillhere

The C&P examiners do C&P's every day all day long.  They know more about what you are going to say than you do.  You get one shot and it's over.  If you dont get your point across or forget something because the examiner distracted you (on purpose or not) You are screwed.

Take a list of your problems/issues to help you stay on topic.

If you get the good ol boy "I'll take care of you" Bullshite.........refuse to leave until you have finished your list.

Oh hell Buck......now I cant remember what I was going to finish with....

Anyway, grab the bastard by the neck and beat the............naw......cant do that can you?  Just a little?