VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

combat records burned (Korea)

Rate this question

Helping Bobby

Question

I recently met a Korean vet who is 83 years old and is in a wheelchair. He was in the military from April 9, 1952 to Sept. 18, 1954. His disability is not from combat although he did have hearing problems from his experience with heavy artillery. He is able to use the VA hospital because he has his honorable discharge papers.

This vet has asked for a pension because he spent time in Korea in 540 Company, 8th Battalion . His combat records were destroyed in the 1973 fire in Chicago. He has been told he can't have his pension because he can't prove he was sent to Korea.  At his age it will be difficult for him to fight the VA for his pension so I'm trying to help him. Can anyone help me help him?

If he is already qualifying for VA healthcare, then they have at least his DD Form 214 on file.  Does he have any documentary evidence in his personal possession?  Anything like old medical records, travel orders, unit orders or training records, or maybe citations from his medals?  Anything that can also place him there?  Also, any old clippings from newspapers doing a story about him and other local young men serving in the military and overseas?  A lot of local papers did that in the past, and continue to do so.

Just a few thoughts.  Anything that you can get that can be scanned into a file and sent to the VA can only help his case.

Good luck!

Mark

"He has been told he can't have his pension because he can't prove he was sent to Korea."

Being in-country Korea would only be an issue if the claim is based on his in country experiences.... a service connected contention.

He is fully eligible for the pension , as a war time veteran. His war time period of service (regardless of where he served) should be right on the dates of his service on the DD 214.

Can you scan and attach that letter from VA here ? (cover C file, name, address, etc,.)

Their  statement you posted  doesn't make sense.

• HadIt.com Elder

A Korean war veteran may not have had a DD214, or bothered to keep it, if he was given an honorable discharge on separation.

Back in those days, the Honorable Discharge was 'The Thing'!

I would think that the discharge would be sufficient, but it may not include information that the VA expects to see.

Even my Vietnam era Navy DD214 didn't show things that the VA was used to seeing on an Army 214. To add insult,

I had to go back and request a 215 to show the VA that I had combat related awards. They didn't want to see the award authorizations

that the Navy used and published at that time.

Naturally, the VA will not go out of it's way to really help. (As usual!) Many veterans swear the VA is still using the delay and hope they die mantra!

Asking the St Louis records center via the SF 180 is likely the best way to proceed.

I still remember the battle the Korean war veterans had with the VA concerning the Chosen Reservoir, frostbite, and other injuries.

(It went on for multiple decades.) 

Edited by Chuck75

An SF 180 has to be prepared and signed either by the veteran or their next of kin.

Does he remember his service number?

Is he a VA nursing home patient, or DOM resident or does he  live in a community vet's home or have an established address that the NARA request documents will be sent to?

I am assuming (and sure could be wrong) that perhaps you met Bobby at the same VAMC you go to.

If you could call him to see when his next VA appointment is there, perhaps you could also get an appointment with any in house vet rep there to help him.and meet him at the VAMC to make sure he gets to see the rep.

.....if Bobby wants help. Someone ,holding  his POA,  could find out what the denial says.

If VA denied him that means he has a C file as well as VA Medical records.

Have you tried to help him get a copy of his C file?

Or maybe  he could put you in contact with his closest relative, to help him.

Edited by Berta