Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service dog discrimination

Rate this question

Medic455

Question

This does not fit the forums but want to let all veterans aware of this issue. I had to get a rental car from Enterprise car rental in Mattoon, Illinois while mine was repaired following an accident. I have a Service dog for my PTSD. I picked up the vehicle with my SD with no issues however when I returned the vehicle (cleaner then when I got it) the man was threatening to charge me extra for having a pet in the car. I explained to him that the the animal was a service dog and he stated that it did not matter because other customers might be allergic. After several go around a with him I walked out. so if you have s service animal do not rent from Enterprise or you will be charged extra.

• HadIt.com Elder

Way to go Ms T...

Ain't that the truth plumibel...I agree!  I love dogs  I have two little white Maltese that follow me around everywhere Sissy & Lilly  I don't know what I'd do without them  they are my comfort.  I call Lilly  '' Little-en'' and Sissy  ''Sissy baby''...just something about dogs that are special to me any Dog Breed

God put them on earth for us to enjoy and I enjoy the heck out of mine.

...........Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

This does not fit the forums but want to let all veterans aware of this issue. I had to get a rental car from Enterprise car rental in Mattoon, Illinois while mine was repaired following an accident. I have a Service dog for my PTSD. I picked up the vehicle with my SD with no issues however when I returned the vehicle (cleaner then when I got it) the man was threatening to charge me extra for having a pet in the car. I explained to him that the the animal was a service dog and he stated that it did not matter because other customers might be allergic. After several go around a with him I walked out. so if you have s service animal do not rent from Enterprise or you will be charged extra.

Dear Enterprise Rent a Car.
Recently I rented a car at your Mottoon Il location.
The experience was quite sour with a bad ending.

Your company is named after a great ship. The USS Enterprise was the most decorated ship in World War II. Your founder served aboad the Big E as we veterans call her. 

I am a diabled veteran who is required by my service connected disability to use a service dog. This dog is an extension of myself. 

I have been completely disrespected by a staff member at that location. The man was threatening charging me extra for having my service animal in the car. That behavior is not even acceptable.  

What is your actual policy pertaining to service animals? I need this information so I can advise other disabled veterans who rely on service dogs about this policy as I see it.Discrimination against veterans and their service dogs is not a very well thought plan of business especially in retail car rental.  Please advise what your policy is regarding Veterans Service Animals. I have a few thousand folks on a couple of veteran web sites waiting to hear your answer.

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Great letter, jbasser. I have no heart button to "like" your post, so I thought I would let you know that your letter is right on track. I am sure that most of the Enterprise employees are unaware of the founder's history and his reasoning behind choosing the name. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Great letter John you sure do know how to tell them how it is..

Elk Hunt Test #65_14_Gerstle River Test Site_Landbase Test_Ft. Greely AK. 1964_S.R.#99_06

"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything

the American public believes is false."-- William Casey, CIA Director!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Ann't that the truth Jerrel !!

Jbasser you would make a good divorce attorney  :smile:

..........Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!