Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fundraising-001.jpegFund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
lotzaspotz

Reminder that your exam starts in the waiting room lobby

Question

I was reviewing 2015 BVA decisions regarding the New Orleans RO, and came across the following.  I'm on a tablet and can't cut and paste the section, but scroll down to the second paragraph above the "Order" section.  You'll find that this veteran's carriage and demeanor when she was called from the waiting room found its way into her C & P exam report and then into the BVA decision.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp15/Files2/1512277.txt

Always remember, your exam starts the moment you enter the exam facility.  If you're there for a spine exam, your posture in the chair you're seated in, in the lobby, may very well be noted.  There's plenty of literature on exams here at hadit, but I thought it would be useful to remind everyone that the exam begins upon entering the facility, not when entering the examination room.

Edited by lotzaspotz
  • Like 7

Lotz,

Thanks for the info and you are so correct. I tell this to Vets all the time to always remember that the VA is looking at us the minute we are no longer Active and become Vets!!!

In this particular veteran's case, the remand resulted from some extra effort put forward by the BVA, luckily.  I guess the RO expected her to show up for the exam showing visual cues of the obvious effects of incapacitating migraines in that moment.  Instead, she tried to act like a person whose turn came up to be seen at the DMV.  Note the statement about her wearing sunglasses, that she wore them in the examination room and suddenly complained of pain from the light.  Left unsaid in the decision was whether she wore them in the lobby while she waited, and if the examiner asked her if she experienced pain from the light in the lobby when she was waiting to be called.  

The crazy one here, This somewhat happened to me but I would say that C & P exams starts when the veteran pulls up in the parking lot. In one of my exams it was mention about my dark glasses given to me by VA.  My glasses are polarized tented and the stay dark all the time. It was hot that day and when I pulled up to the parking lot and got out of my car my glasses got foggy and I had to take them off to wipe them so I could see and I put them back on. When I went in to see the doctor he commented on my glasses and that they were dark and did I where them all the time and the fact that it was hot that day and it would be best to stay in. No statement ended up in my rating but I believe that when a veteran has an exam, he/she is watched at the earliest point for the VA doctor to come to a conclusion before the veteran ever see the doctor.

• Like 1

What's the saying, Pete, "It ain't paranoia if they're REALLY after you!"

• Like 4

This exact thing did happen to me at a C&P exam.  I went to the exam quite a few years ago.  Me and the exam doctor did not get on well at all.  I was  an excitable boy in those days.  To justify him screwing me in his exam the doctor said that my demeanor changed from the time I was in the waiting room to the time I was in the exam.  This was a doctor who maintained that since I had a degree in psychology this was proof that I was faking my C&P for mental health issues.  The upshot was an appeal that I won based on a biased exam.

If your exam is for a bad foot and you use a cane then you better be using it from the time you get out of your car at the VA until you get back in to go home.  All the rest pertains as well.  I have had VA C&P exam doctors say such outrageous things to me about veterans.  Many of these doctors are jaded and cynical people who have zero respect for veterans and believe most of us are free loaders and game players.  You can't give them an inch or any excuse to screw you because many will do it just for spite.  You know every few decades some administration decides that most veterans on disability are faking and just getting free ride at taxpayers expense.   This happened in the 1980's .   It will probably happen again when we get an administration that wants to cut taxes and cut growth of entitlements.  No matter what the politicos say about honoring vets they will cut your throat to save a dime.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Austin
      Yesterday when reviewing my medical records I noticed an examiner did a C and P/DBQ addendum. Im currently 70 percent and submitted for an increase(12 months ago) and also filed for IU(2 months ago). I don't know what this nexus means and would like to know if the exam was for the IU or increase claim. This examiner did a table top review as I wasn't present for it. See below:
      Please utilize this form when responding to VBA requests for either addendums    or clarifications of prior VHA examination reports.        This Veteran was seen for a C&P examination in December, 2017. At that time    it was felt that the most appropriate diagnosis was that of a mood disorder,    which was considered to be severe. At that time it was noted that the Veteran    had been able to complete a college degree.
          In July of this year the Veteran was admitted to inpatient treatment, which    he successfully completed, and he continued in treatment throught the    remainder of this year. Treatment notes reference some improvement in
          functioning, with the Veteran reporting boredom.
          At this point, given the available information, I believe it is as likely as    not that the Veteran's severe mood disorder would make it impossible for him    to maintain employment over an extended period of time. 
          Perhaps vocational rehabilitation, combined with his continuing in treatment    might make it possible for him to obtain and maintain employment at a later 
      So my question is.. Does the nexus look favorable? What was this exam for(IU or my increase)? My increase is in front of the DRO and was filed in December of last year after my initial award. The IU claim was only filled a month or two ago. The C and P exam was done 15 days ago. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated 

• By Austin
      So I had a C & P appointment. I got an attorney a couple years ago after my claim was denied. My claim is for Bipolar, PTSD, and Depression. My attorney sent a NOD a little over 2 years ago and I was scheduled for a C & P appointment. The examiner that I had was the same examiner that I had on the claim I was initially denied on. He basically said "there wasn't anything wrong with me after the service". So I had my C & P appointment and the examiner pulled a note that described me mentioning taking anti-depressants prior to the military. I honestly forgot about this. I have attached the nexus letter which makes a link to the military aggravating my condition. Could someone please explain to me what can happen next? I was initially thinking award. But I'm wondering if they are going to ask for records prior to my military(teenage and young adult)... which I wouldn't be able to produce. I'm kinda freaking out because it seems like the link was made but not in the way I was expecting. 
      Attached nexus---

2. Current Diagnoses    -------------------    a. Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: unspecified bipolar disorder           ICD code: F31.9
          b. Medical diagnoses relevant to the understanding or management of the       Mental Health Disorder (to include TBI): none
          3. Differentiation of symptoms    -----------------------------    a. Does the Veteran have more than one mental disorder diagnosed?       [ ] Yes   [X] No           c. Does the Veteran have a diagnosed traumatic brain injury (TBI)?       [ ] Yes   [ ] No   [X] Not shown in records reviewed           4. Occupational and social impairment    ------------------------------------    a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of occupational       and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only       one)       [X] Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas,           such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or mood    b. For the indicated level of occupational and social impairment, is it       possible to differentiate what portion of the occupational and social       impairment indicated above is caused by each mental disorder?       [ ] Yes   [ ] No   [X] No other mental disorder has been diagnosed           c. If a diagnosis of TBI exists, is it possible to differentiate what portion       of the occupational and social impairment indicated above is caused by the       TBI?       [ ] Yes   [ ] No   [X] No diagnosis of TBI                                          SECTION II:                                   ----------                               Clinical Findings:                               -----------------    1. Evidence Review    -----------------    Evidence reviewed (check all that apply):        [X] VA e-folder (VBMS or Virtual VA)    [X] CPRS
          2. History    ---------
       Page 26 of 139
          a. Relevant Social/Marital/Family history (pre-military, military, and       post-military):          The Veteran has been married for approximately one year; he said lately          their relationship has had problems because he feels his wife has not          understood his problems.              b. Relevant Occupational and Educational history (pre-military, military, and       post-military):          The Veteran said he had had eight jobs in the past year. He completed a          bachelor's degree in psychology at UCA a year ago.              c. Relevant Mental Health history, to include prescribed medications and       family mental health (pre-military, military, and post-military):          The Veteran is followed in mental health at CAVHS. He takes lamictal,          prazosin, and lithium carbonate. He also sees a private counselor.              d. Relevant Legal and Behavioral history (pre-military, military, and       post-military):          n/a              e. Relevant Substance abuse history (pre-military, military, and       post-military):          The Veteran reports drinking every day, having two 30-packs over the          course of a week. His last marijuana use was about two and a half years          ago.              f. Other, if any:          n/a              3. Stressors    -----------    Describe one or more specific stressor event(s) the Veteran considers    traumatic (may be pre-military, military, or post-military):        a. Stressor #1: hearing a soldier getting raped              Does this stressor meet Criterion A (i.e., is it adequate to support          the diagnosis of PTSD)?          [X] Yes  [ ] No                    Is the stressor related to the Veteran's fear of hostile military or          terrorist activity?          [ ] Yes  [X] No                    Is the stressor related to personal assault, e.g. military sexual          trauma?          [X] Yes  [ ] No
       Page 27 of 139
                    4. PTSD Diagnostic Criteria    --------------------------    No response provided.
          5. Symptoms    ----------    For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the    Veteran's diagnoses:           [X] Depressed mood       [X] Anxiety       [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood       [X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social           relationships       [X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a           worklike setting       [X] Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships       [X] Suicidal ideation
          6. Behavioral Observations    -------------------------    The Veteran was cooperative. He displayed some dysphoria.
          7. Other symptoms    ----------------    Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to PTSD (and other    mental disorders) that are not listed above?       [ ] Yes   [X] No           8. Competency    ------------    Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs?       [X] Yes   [ ] No           9. Remarks, (including any testing results) if any    -------------------------------------------------       The Veteran's symptoms appear to be more consistent with a mood disorder       than with those of PTSD. He reported depression while still in the       military, but also reported he had been treated for depression prior to       the military. In today's examination the Veteran denied depression prior       to the military but then conceded it was possible he had been depressed as       a teenage, but could not recall details of his depression or the treatment       he received. However, the same note indicated that in 2007 the Veteran       reported that he had responded well to medication, suggesting that it was       possible that his depression was relatively mild.
       Page 28 of 139
             The Veteran's current bipolar disorder is severe. Therefore, it is more       likely than not that any mood disorder present before the Veteran's       military service was exacerbated by his time in the military.
             Given the Veteran's ability to complete a bachelor's degree, I did not       find evidence that his bipolar disorder precluded all employment; however,       it definitely makes it difficult for him to sustain employment.           NOTE: VA may request additional medical information, including additional    examinations if necessary to complete VA's review of the Veteran's
    • By Diablopup
      I've been having issues for years but didn't even realize for a long time they were related to my time in service (88-92).  I just pushed the feelings down deep inside and avoided thinking about it.  When I finally went to a civilian Dr for my depression back in 2003/2004 I was put on every drug available but nothing worked for long.  When I lost my job and went back to school to get an associates degree I had to find a way to continue treatment so i started going to the VA.  Problem is while I would sometimes be honest with my Dr about how I was feeling, other times I would deny currently suffering.  I didn't want to appear weak, especially if it was a woman treating me.  I know that my fault, partly because of how I was raised and partly due to my time in the Marines.  Depending on who saw me, their DX differed.  My primary care Dr and a social worker suspected PTSD, but the Psychiatrists DX was MDD and SAD.  Finally after I graduated college and started a new job I lost the ability to cope and had trouble concentrating and handling the stress.  I was let go and spiraled out of control.  For the past 3 years now I havn't worked and I only leave my house every couple weeks to buy groceries late at night or to visit my Dr at the VA (if I don't end up canceling or missing my appt due to feeling sick at the thought of leaving the house).  I finally decided to apply for compensation as my family who has been supporting me has reached their financial limit.  I hoped for the best as I now know I really have a horrible problem and need help to survive and not end up under a bridge somewhere.  I will post the C & P examiners exam results now and hope someone can find something to help me with my next step.  Also he references several other mental health evaluations.  I will post those as replys to myself as this is going to be a LONG post.  I will only be editing out my and the examiners name, everything else I will leave in.  I know now I can't get help if I leave out information.  Thank you for any advice in advance.  
      Semper Fi
      Initial Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
      Disability Benefits Questionnaire
      SECTION I:
                                        ----------
         1. Diagnostic Summary
         ---------------------
         Does the Veteran have a diagnosis of PTSD that conforms to DSM-5 criteria
         based on today's evaluation?
         [ ] Yes   [X] No

If no diagnosis of PTSD, check all that apply:

[X] Veteran's symptoms do not meet the diagnostic criteria for PTSD under
                DSM-5 criteria
            [X] Veteran has another Mental Disorder diagnosis.  Continue to complete
                this Questionnaire and/or the Eating Disorder Questionnaire:

2. Current Diagnoses
         --------------------
         a. Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: Major Depressive Disorder
                ICD code: F33.1
                Comments, if any:
                   Less likely than not due to, caused by, or incurred during military
                  service.
                   Military records indicate no treatment for this condition and
                   discharge physical exam indicated no mental health problems.  The
                   veteran did not have any mental health treatment until many years
                   after military service.

Mental Disorder Diagnosis #2: Social Anxiety Disorder
                ICD code: F40.10
                Comments, if any:
                   Less likely than not due to, caused by, or incurred during military service.
                   after military service.

Mental Disorder Diagnosis #3: Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
               (ADHD)
                ICD code: F90.0
                Comments, if any:
                   Less likely than not due to, caused by, or incurred during military service.
                   after military service.
                   Furthermore, ADHD, by its very definition and nature, begins in
                   childhood, and his not caused by any external events.

b. Medical diagnoses relevant to the understanding or management of the
            Mental Health Disorder (to include TBI): GERD, history of headaches,
            history of neck pain

3. Differentiation of symptoms
         ------------------------------
         a. Does the Veteran have more than one mental disorder diagnosed?
            [X] Yes   [ ] No

b. Is it possible to differentiate what symptom(s) is/are attributable to
            each diagnosis?
            [ ] Yes   [X] No   [ ] Not applicable (N/A)

If no, provide reason that it is not possible to differentiate what
                portion of each symptom is attributable to each diagnosis and discuss
                whether there is any clinical association between these diagnoses:
                   Due to symptom overlap and multidirectional interactions among the
                   disorders.

c. Does the Veteran have a diagnosed traumatic brain injury (TBI)?
            [ ] Yes   [X] No   [ ] Not shown in records reviewed

4. Occupational and social impairment
         -------------------------------------
         a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of 
      occupational
            and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only
            one)
            [X] Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas,
                such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or mood

b. For the indicated level of occupational and social impairment, is it
            possible to differentiate what portion of the occupational and social
            impairment indicated above is caused by each mental disorder?
            [ ] Yes   [X] No   [ ] No other mental disorder has been diagnosed

If no, provide reason that it is not possible to differentiate what
                portion of the indicated level of occupational and social impairment
                is attributable to each diagnosis: Due to symptom overlap and multidirectional interactions among the disorders.

c.  If a diagnosis of TBI exists, is it possible to differentiate what 
      portion of the occupational and social impairment indicated above is caused by 
      the TBI?
            [ ] Yes   [ ] No   [X] No diagnosis of TBI

SECTION II:
                                        -----------
                                    Clinical Findings:
                                    ------------------
         1. Evidence Review
         ------------------
         Evidence reviewed (check all that apply):

[X] VA e-folder (VBMS or Virtual VA)
         [X] CPRS
         [X] Other (please identify other evidence reviewed):

The vet brought a copy of his recent Statement in support of claim
               which was on his smart phone screen.  This examiner reviewed that.  It
               had not been submitted yet to the Regional office.  The veteran also
               brought in a wooden plaque with a Marine Corps Meritorious Mast award
               on it dated 12/14/1989 indicating that he was involved in capturing an
               intruder on their base in the Philippines as part of their patrol.         

2. History
         ----------
         a. Relevant Social/Marital/Family history (pre-military, military, and
            post-military):
               This veteran has had a number of past mental health evaluations here 
      at the VA.  Please see the 12/16/2011 psychology evaluation, the 4/272012
               psychiatry intake, and the 10/17/2016 psychology mental health
               treatment plan for details of his history.

The veteran is 47 and is divorced since 2001 (past records noted above
               suggest this seems to have had little to do with his mental health
               issues). His last relationship ended in 2012 he reported today that she apparently had another man already lined up, as she was dating him just a couple days after they broke up.  He reported no current/recent relationship. He reported he really has not been getting out much at
               all - says he does not like himself and reported he worries others will judge and talk about him. He says he is watchful and on guard for
               others' negative evaluations.  He resides alone, with his small dog.  Mother and brother are 2 hours away in XXXXXXX.  He has little contact,
               avoiding her alot and her possible questions about his job hunt. He used to play some online gaming and still does, but only occasionally.
               No groups, clubs, organizations or church. No close individual friends.  He reported no other recreation/leisure. He says he sleeps on the 
      couch since his relationship breakup about 5 years ago, as the bed reminds him of her. He says his sleep schedule is widely varied and he will do alot of daytime sleeping, watches some TV.  He only rarely goes to the store and does so late at night so as to avoid other people and their
               perceived judgement.  He reports he has had little motivation to attend to household tasks and becomes easily overwhelmed and thus avoids or
               procrastinates.  As a result, he reports there are many empty grocery bags laying around, and he simply piles the mail on the kitchen table.
               Part of that may also be  due to avoiding what might be in the mail.  He reports he keeps phone ringer off so as to avoid contact from the
               bill collectors.  He says he owes $50,000 in school loans and years ago put $20,000 of his girlfriend's school loans on his credit card and
               cannot pay fully. It seems his attempt at coping is through avoidance, which then adds to the problems he has.

MILITARY:
               The veteran enlisted into the Marine Corps and served August 1988 to
               August 1992.  He rose to an E4 rank and had an honorable discharge.  
      He served time both in the Philippines and in the Persian Gulf during the
               Desert storm/desert shield..  His MOS was mortars.
               His statement in support of claim seen on his cell phone screen today
               listed two events, one of which he reported occurred in the 
      Philippines in May 1990.  He says he and his girlfriend at the time work in the
               marketplace and then went to a bar down the street.  Not too long
               afterwards, he and others in the bar found out that two airman had 
      been shot in the market area where he had been not long before.  This
               examiner notes that while this could be an upsetting or shocking bit 
      of information to find out, the veteran did not experience any actual
               trauma.  He did not witness the shooting and was not even aware of it
               until being told shortly after it occurred. The second incident he
               reported was from February 1991 in Kuwait and reported that they took
               small arms fire at one point and also took enemy mortar fire and they
               were in a mortar battle.  He felt the enemy mortars were getting
               closer, as close as 50 yards away, until the enemy position was
               neutralized.  This event would meet DSM?five trauma criteria for PTSD.
               Other VA notes also refer to the veteran being next to a man who 
      almost committed suicide, but a sergeant apparently prevented it.  This would
               also not meet trauma criteria as nothing actually happened.  There was
               no trauma witnessed, and the veteran himself was not in significant
               threat. The veteran today said he really wanted to have a career in 
      the USMC, but also noted that the reason he actually got out was due to a
               Reduction In Force at that time.  

b. Relevant Occupational and Educational history (pre-military, military, 
      and
            post-military):
      at
               the VA.  Please see the 12/16/2011 psychology evaluation, the 4/272012

Vet reported today that he has had mental health treatment in the
               private sector starting about 2003/2004 regarding ADHD and was placed
               on Adderal as well as a number of antidepressants.

He started here at the VAMC in 2011, dealing with issues of ADHD,
               Depression and Anxiety (particularly Social Anxiety). He has seen
               psychiatry, psychology and social work at various times since then, up
               until the preseent. 

He also had Neuropsychological testing on 10/14/2011 regarding an ADHD
               eval.

Psychiatry records indicate medication has not been all that effective
               regarding his depression and social anxiety. 
               He currently is treated with Adderal for ADHD and recently was
               (re)started on escitalopram.

He has also been in and out of psychotherapy for the above conditions. 

This examiner notes that the previous evaluations noted above assessed
               for PTSD but indicated he did not meet criteria.

Those evaluations also indicated that the veteran's depression
               condition really worsened in recent years following the breakup of his
               long-term relationship about five or six years ago, though a little 
      bit before that there was some increased depression.  Furthermore, those
               evaluations also indicate the veteran has felt that he always has
               tended to be rather anxious and depressed with low self-esteem.  The
               records indicate a history of a very strict and harsh, verbally
               abusive, father as well as a history of being bullied in school, 
      though did not get any mental health services.  Curiously, VA social work
               notes from more recent times such as 5/18/2017, seem to describe the
               social anxiety as being caused by or started in the military, related
               to harsh treatment by a corporal.  This is not likely accurate given
               the previous treatment notes described in the first paragraph above
               that indicate a long history of this type of feeling even in his 
      youth, as well as more recent onset/worsening of symptoms just a few years 
      ago following the relationship breakup.

d. Relevant Legal and Behavioral history (pre-military, military, and
            post-military):

None

e. Relevant Substance abuse history (pre-military, military, and
            post-military):

None.

f. Other, if any:
               n/a

3. Stressors
         ------------
         Describe one or more specific stressor event(s) the Veteran considers
         traumatic (may be pre-military, military, or post-military):

a. Stressor #1: Small arms fire and mortar battle in Gulf War

Does this stressor meet Criterion A (i.e., is it adequate to support
               the diagnosis of PTSD)?
               [X] Yes  [ ] No

Is the stressor related to the Veteran's fear of hostile military or
               terrorist activity?
               [X] Yes  [ ] No

Is the stressor related to personal assault, e.g. military sexual
               trauma?
               [ ] Yes  [X] No

4. PTSD Diagnostic Criteria
         ---------------------------
         Please check criteria used for establishing the current PTSD diagnosis. Do
         NOT mark symptoms below that are clearly not attributable to the Criterion A
         stressor/PTSD.  Instead, overlapping symptoms clearly attributable to other
         things should be noted under #7 - Other symptoms.  The diagnostic criteria
         for PTSD, referred to as Criterion A-H, are from the Diagnostic and
         Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th edition (DSM-5).

Criterion A: Exposure to actual or threatened a) death, b) serious 
      injury, c) sexual violence, in one or more of the following ways:

[X] Directly experiencing the traumatic event(s)
                        [X] Witnessing, in person, the traumatic event(s) as they
                            occurred to others

Criterion B: Presence of (one or more) of the following intrusion 
      symptoms associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the
                         traumatic event(s) occurred:

[X] No criterion in this section met.

Criterion C: Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the 
      traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic events(s) occurred, as evidenced by one or both of the following:

Criterion D: Negative alterations in cognitions and mood associated with
                         the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the
                         traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of
                         the following:

Criterion E: Marked alterations in arousal and reactivity associated with
                         the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the
                         traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of
                         the following:

Criterion F:

Criterion G:

Criterion H:

Criterion I: Which stressor(s) contributed to the Veteran's PTSD
                         diagnosis?:
                         No response provided.

5. Symptoms
         -----------
         For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the
         Veteran's diagnoses:

[X] Depressed mood
            [X] Anxiety
            [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood
            [X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social
                relationships
            [X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or 
      a
                worklike setting

6. Behavioral Observations
         --------------------------
         The veteran's affect was broad, though mood appeared dysphoric and anxious.
         He was quite talkative and animated at times.  He was polite and 
      cooperative.
         Eye contact and behavior were normal.

7. Other symptoms
         -----------------
         Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to PTSD (and other
         mental disorders) that are not listed above?
            [X] Yes   [ ] No

If yes, describe:
                   The veteran has a history of attention deficit/hyperactivity
                   disorder (ADHD), inattentive type.  Please see the DSM?five as well
                   as the neuropsychological testing from 10/14/2011 for details of
                   such symptoms.

8. Competency
         -------------
         Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs?
            [X] Yes   [ ] No

9. Remarks, (including any testing results) if any
         --------------------------------------------------
            The exam request form states/asks:

"Exams on this request: 
            DBQ INITIAL PTSD

** Status of request: 
            Pending, reported to MAS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
            ------

DBQ PSYCH PTSD Initial
            _________________________________________________________________________

The following contentions need to be examined:

PTSD
            Active duty service dates:
            Branch: Marine Corps
            EOD: 08/02/1988
            RAD: 08/01/1992

DBQ PSYCH PTSD Initial:
            Please review the Veteran's electronic folder in VBMS and state that it 
            was reviewed in your report.

MEDICAL OPINION REQUEST
            TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION REQUESTED: Direct service connection
            OPINION: Direct service connection

Does the Veteran have a diagnosis of (a) PTSD that is at least as likely 
            as not (50 percent or greater probability) incurred in or caused by (the) 

Combat Action Ribbon during service?

Rationale must be provided in the appropriate section. Your review is not 

limited to the evidence identified on this request form, or tabbed in the 

claims folder. If an examination or additional testing is required, 
            obtain them prior to rendering your opinion.

POTENTIALLY RELEVANT EVIDENCE:

NOTE:  Your (examiner) review of the record is NOT restricted to the 
            evidence listed below.  This list is provided in an effort to assist the 
            examiner in locating potentially relevant evidence.

Tab A (DD Form 214 in VBMS): TAB A- CAR COMBAT ACTION RIBBON IN DESERT 
            STORM AND DESERT SHIELD  dated 06/27/2017

If more than one mental disorder is diagnosed please comment on their 
            relationship to one another and, if possible, please state which symptoms 
            are attributed to each disorder.

If your examination determines that the Veteran does not have diagnosis 
            of PTSD and you diagnose another mental disorder, please provide an 
            opinion as to whether it is at least as likely as not that the Veteran's 
            diagnosed mental disorder is a result of an in-service stressor related 
            event."

------?????????

As noted above, this veteran does not appear to meet criteria for PTSD,
            lacking sufficient number, frequency, and severity of symptoms to warrant
            such a diagnosis.  The veteran does have depression and anxiety (mainly
            social anxiety) and ADHD conditions described above, though it is this
            examiner's opinion that they are less likely due to, caused by, or
            incurred during military service for the reasons noted above.

Today, the veteran denied any delusions or hallucinations.  There are no
            panic attacks and no OCD.  He denied any suicidal or homicidal ideation.
            He says that he knows if he were ever to kill himself, it would hurt his
            mother significantly and he would did not want to do that.  He does 
      report frequently being in a low, sad and depressed mood.  He reported crying
            spells, decreased hope, low self-esteem, feeling easily overwhelmed,
            feeling "stuck" and self critical.  He described feeling depressed over
            various regrets he has in his life.  He also reported a lot of anxiety.
            Some of this is regarding his current life situation including financial
            difficulties, though a lot also appears to be related to socially related
            anxiety feelings.  He feels others judge and evaluate him in a negative
            manner.  He feels he just does not measure up and worries when others are
            looking at him, that they are thinking negative thoughts or critical
            thoughts about him.  This also creates not only emotional anxiety, but
            also physical symptoms such as nausea.  Regarding PTSD issues, the 
      veteran says he has sometimes dreamt that he is in the US Marine Corps but is out
            of shape.  He reported no recent issues with any actual trauma related
            nightmares.  He also says he has negatively dreamed recently about his
            most recent ex-girlfriend (from five years ago).  The veteran did not
            describe upsetting intrusive trauma memories nor severe distress at any
            particular cues.  The veteran does not appear to actually meet criteria
            for HYPERvigilance.  He seemed to deny his issues with anxiety around
            people have to do with actual fear for his physical safety.  This
            avoidance of people and public has to do more with worrying about their
            judging him.  He reports when driving he is aware of other cars and where
            people are around him, though this does not appear to be related to 
      trauma or represent any PTSD.  The veteran seems to describe having no real set
            sleep schedule and he will go to sleep at widely varying times.  He says
            he has some difficulty falling asleep but once he is asleep, he will 
      sleep for as long as 12-16 hours.  This may be related to his nonservice related
           anxiety/depression condition and his negative coping strategy of
            avoidance.

NOTE: VA may request additional medical information, including additional examinations if necessary to complete VA's review of the Veteran's application.
      XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX,
      PhD Clinical Psychologist
    • By chomperjones
      Ok guys and gals, im back after a few months with more information.
      So for a little background, my effective date is 12/12/16. It moved to prep for decision in 2 weeks and stayed there for a few months. 
      then it went back to gathering evidence, at which time i recieved a phone call scheduling me for an exam on march 25.
      10 minutes later they called back saying i could come in for an exam tomorrow (which was march 1st).
      I  attended my c&p exam for bipolar/depression- and the examiner concluded the exam by telling me to go directly to MH because im not mentally healthy or stable.
      I have the results from ROI, i scanned them, and posted them online below.
      I am currently 80% disabled, none of which are MH related :-( (illness consumed my life beginning midway through my 4 years on AD)
      I know im crazy in the head, and this report only makes me feel worse about myself. please dont judge me, im receiving treatment as we speak.
      part1: 

part2: 

part3: 

part4: 

part5: 

part6: 

part7: 

part8: 

• By Gatorintel
      So after five years of receiving my disability payments at 100%, the VA scheduled me for a reevaluation on my lower back degenerative disc disease, L4-S1.  My other disabilities had already been given P and T, so I wasn't reevaluated on those.
       The doctor today did the measurement so quick that there is no way he could have line-up the measurement tool for an accurint reading.  
      I am concerned that I will be given a lower rating on my back flexation.  I have been regularly seen at the VA for PT on my back and have been scheduled for injections to reduce the pain.  I have had an MRI as recent as two months ago that says my degenerative discs have not improved, but they have not gotten markably worse.  
      I would like to know if anyone has had their back rating reduced based on maybe a 10 degree improvement in flexation, but that the flexation brings me to the 20% rating vs the 40% rating.  I am not sure if the VA regional office will say a 10% increase is a marked improvement and lower my rating.  
      Any comments will help my monkey mind on this particular subject.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines