Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Brave Act (100%/TDIU and SSA)

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

The Crazy one here, look we share we learn.

In recent years, policymakers have examined the interaction of two federal programs that provide benefits to military personnel with service-connected disabilities. In September 2009, the Government Accountability Office issued a report recommending that the Social Security Administration (SSA) increase its outreach and collaboration with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to improve access to Social Security disability benefits for military personnel wounded since October 2001 in operations in Afghanistan and Iraq (GAO 2009). Also in 2009, both houses of Congress introduced legislation known as the BRAVE Act1 that would certify veterans judged by the VA to have total disability (that is, having a combined rating of 100%2 or a rating of individual unemployability [IU]) as meeting the medical requirements of the disability programs administered by SSA. Essentially, a veteran with a rating of total disability would not have to undergo the medical portions of SSA’s disability determination to be eligible to receive Social Security disability benefits. The veteran would have to be insured for disability in order to qualify for Disability Insurance (DI) worker benefits and could not be engaged in substantial gainful activity (SGA).

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v74n3/ssb-v74n3.pdf

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Hey Pete,
I did some research and the BRAVE Act was introduced, but never was actually signed into law. This link shows the act was introduced by both congressional houses, but it stalled out.

https://www.congress.gov/search?q={"source"%3A"legislation"%2C"search"%3A"Benefit Rating Acceleration for Veteran Entitlements"}

I read the first couple of pages of the link you posted. The GAO did research to determine the relation between the two programs and also impact on SSDI if the BRAVE Act was passed.

They did state that if the program was passed into law, then there would be a mass influx of 100% P&T and IU veterans would would rapidly flock to it.

I could be wrong, but I was actually hoping to find something which showed it did pass and was implemented. The only thing I found for 100% P&T veterans was the accelerated processing program: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10565.pdf

Vync, you are actually correct. I could not find that it passed also but what I seen was that most veterans will have to appeal all the way up to the ALJ (Administrative Law Judge) to win his or her SSDI claim and that is with a Law Dawg.  Granted the Retro pay would be a nice five figure pay day minus what SSA would take out for the Law Dawg share/cut but it is what it is.  As I stated in my above post that there is no guarantee that SSA will grant a 100% or TDIU veteran social security but they do share the information.  With the expedited /accelerated processing programs with social security, veterans are getting quicker decisions.  I think this is really for veterans who are deemed 100% or TDIU by VA and SSA makes granting SSA claims sooner and not VA granting SSA veterans 100% or TDIU.  We all know that VA is a beast and they do not care because there is no accountability and no repercussion for them not following any law not even their own. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Vync, you are actually correct. I could not find that it passed also but what I seen was that most veterans will have to appeal all the way up to the ALJ (Administrative Law Judge) to win his or her SSDI claim and that is with a Law Dawg.  Granted the Retro pay would be a nice five figure pay day minus what SSA would take out for the Law Dawg share/cut but it is what it is.  As I stated in my above post that there is no guarantee that SSA will grant a 100% or TDIU veteran social security but they do share the information.  With the expedited /accelerated processing programs with social security, veterans are getting quicker decisions.  I think this is really for veterans who are deemed 100% or TDIU by VA and SSA makes granting SSA claims sooner and not VA granting SSA veterans 100% or TDIU.  We all know that VA is a beast and they do not care because there is no accountability and no repercussion for them not following any law not even their own. 

Pete,
Good points! After I read the PDF, I realized the difference between SSDI and VA disability. If SS had to award ratings in 10% increments like the VA, I could only imagine how much more screwed up the system would be compared to how it already is.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

This died and never bacame law. SSA has adopted a wounder warrior program that only speeds up the process.

The SSA has their own 5 step process and Congress needs to fix it for Veterans. How can 2 disability systems from 1 government have different criteria.

If you are IU from the VA you should be receiving SSDI if you paid into the system.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

I guess the SSA forgot about us Vietnam Veterans

In recent years, policymakers have examined the interaction of two federal programs that provide benefits to military personnel with service-connected disabilities. In September 2009, the Government Accountability Office issued a report recommending that the Social Security Administration (SSA) increase its outreach and collaboration with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to improve access to Social Security disability benefits for military personnel wounded since October 2001 in operations in Afghanistan and Iraq (GAO 2009). Also in 2009, both houses of Congress introduced legislation known as the BRAVE Act1 that would certify veterans judged by the VA to have total disability (that is, having a combined rating of 100%2 or a rating of individual unemployability [IU]) as meeting the medical requirements of the disability programs administered by SSA

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I will say that under the Wounded Warrior Program, my SSDI was approved in less then 2 months, which is unheard of in Tx, then again I do have alot of both Physical and Mental health issues.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars