Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Jason Cruz

Question

I have a huge question that I need help with. I just received my letter from the VA saying that my rating is 100% for PTSD. I have been going to school on Post 9-11 and work study at the VA. So how do I find out if I am employable or not employable. I have the letter and it says: You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due solely to your service-connected disabilities: YES.
Does that mean I can't work or go to school?

• HadIt.com Elder

If your TDIU P&T   NO your not supposed to be working.

if your 100% scheduler  P&T I Believe you can work  , so if  your award letter don't say your TDIU then in my opinion anyway you can work, I'm just not sure how much you can earn? if there's a limit?

Also if your 100%PTSD I'm not sure you can be working with a mental rating?

other members can chime in

&

Welcome to Hadit

.................Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Ah, But! Work Study may not be considered "real work", since it's supposedly in some sort of controlled environment.

Successful completion can, however, result in a loss of TDIU.

Jason,

Welcome brother, to Hadit!  Congrats on your award!  I will say this...err on the side of caution.  My twin brother was advised by his county's VA rep to file for SSDI and wait  for some time to pass, and let the dust settle before attempting any kind of work.  It didn't take him long to get his SSDI, and after that he went to "work" for a Christian global aid network.  His pay was satisfaction in knowing he was helping others less fortunate then him.  He averages 6 hours a week doing that...which is about the limit of what they can offer him.

His therapy....10-15 hours a week chasing fish with a big stick and bits of shiny metal attached to the end of really long string.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

Jason, what are your service connected disability rating percentages? Please clarify so we can better understand your OP.

I have a 100% for PTSD as well as 4 10% ratings for other injuries as well as 5 pending claims. 

Did you, on a prior Award, have an "Inferred IU Claim" listed and subsequently file for IU? How long have you had a PTSD SC Rating?

Your original PTSD Award letter, what was your SC %? Any mention regarding "Future Exam Scheduling?"

Earned Income with a 100% Scheduler Rating, Sky's the Limit.

With an IU Rating, SGI comes into play. If you indicate earnings at or in excess for $12,400.00 per year and maintain that income for 12 consecutive months, VA would propose a Comp reduction back to your non IU level.

Semper Fi