VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Either just had the worst or best C&P exam.. Still not sure!

Rate this question

Infantry1985

Question

Just got back from my C&P exam for Secondary GERD and Secondary Hypertension that lasted all of about 15 min with a NP at Hines. She seemed to be a little ruff around the edges at first, then we somehow go on the conversation of the oxygen generating plants in her office which seemed to perk her up. She only asked a few questions: For both - Was I diagnosed in service?, was I diagnosed at the VA?, do I still have symptoms?, only treated at VA?. For GERD only - Did I have a upper GI? That was it..... Never deep dived into symptoms, but did shake her head at the end and tell me that my pulse was consistently extremely high and that the doctors should have been prescribing me a beta blocker..... After that, and about 15 minutes she said your done and good luck with your service connection. I've had plenty of exams with Docs, but never a NP for C&P; so I'm kind of just still in shock... I guess we shall see!

Thanks, Gaston! Unfortunately that was not 3 different days. That was readings from my last visit from my records and they took it roughly 7 times to get a lower reading. I've submitted a slew of other evidence all through the VA records showing my BP through the roof. This just happened to be a low day at resting, lucky me! I haven't been to an outside doc for a long while, so the RO should have all my files from the multiple state VA's I've been to over the years.

I once saw a new female Dr, 1st time for a lady Dr, she checked me for Hernia and then said she had to do a Prostate exam, being I was a new patient. Soooooo, after she does it, tells me to turn around and sit down. Proceeds to take my BP. Top # was 140+ and  she said that was awful high. I commented that my BP was always 120/80 on BP Meds and I opined that in my lay opinion, the Prostate exam 1 min before taking the BP reading was the cause. She agreed and allowed me to sit for about 15 min, feet flat on the floor with no external Stimuli. BAM, BP 116/75.

You are on BP Meds, right? How long and do they normally work? Just my lay opinion, the 130/80 indicates their working fairly well, considering you were at C & P Exam and under probably under a fair amount of stress.

Semper Fi

Was updated this morning with 0% service connected for GERD on it's own and 0% "not service connected" for hypertension. I'll wait till the packet comes in to read it over, but I know I should have been at least 10% for GERD based on rating scale. What would be my next step now? NOD stating C&P exam did not ask about symptoms? Or is their another form to fill out for an increase in rating? Positive side of things is that the RO service connected my GERD, so that's at least part of the fight done... Thanks again for everyone's help!

Edited by Infantry1985

As far as the GERD, I think the 0% is warranted. I have Crohns Disease along with Barretts and GERD. I have had Endoscopy, Stomach Acid Test, and multiple other tests to confirm all of the above issues and yet I only get 30% combined for all. With just taking basic over the Counter acid stuff, and without other medical evidence I think that you will stay at 0%. You can go the NOD route but make sure you have an IMO or new Medical Evidence that states why you should be increased. Good luck and keep us posted