Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SSDI Exams, what to expect?

Rate this question

TALON II FE

Question

I have a SSDI exam for my PTSD coming up in two weeks and another for "everything else", I guess, a few weeks later.  What can I expect, compared to the VA and/or VA Contractors?  I am VERY worried about the PTSD claim, more so then I was with the VA, because of ME, not them.  If I feel insulted, slighted or, even worse, they somehow question my integrity, etc. I could possibly turn violent, and I don't mean some 'dramatic' effect.  It is what keeps me at home and in my upstairs bonus room almost all the time.  I am a bit frightened that I may be provoked and then I will suffer for it by paying the consequences. I almost wish I had not applied at all, when I think of going to these appointments.  For others that have dealt with them, any insight would be appreciated.

I tried watching YouTube videos, but they are all "Acting Lessons" from what I have seen, if I could put in all that effort, I could work, lol.  I am and always have been legit, I don't need props, my word is my bond and my will 'used to be' the iron I beat the rest of the world into submission with...now, just about every day, I just wish I would die in my sleep.  We can all dream, right, lol?  I just want to 'get in and out as quickly as possible', penetrate and dissipate as we used to say.  Any advice?

Talon, I wish I did have some good advice for you, all i can offer is support since i have also never attended an SSDI exam. I am currently in appeals stage for my SSDI application. I did, however, accompany my mother. Her examiners seemed fair, if not particularly friendly. I truly hope that you get some good examiners with common sense, and Best of Luck!

All they can do is say no, I guess.  My main motivation for pursuing SSDI is to use it as evidence for P&T.  My children could really use the education benniies. I just hate that I have to go in again and deal with this 'inspection' protocol at another government agency..

Talon, I agree completely. I do believe the SSDI exams will be less stressful then the VA exams, not only did I see that when I accompanied my mother, I've also been told by other vets that generally the SSDI exams are much easier and more brief than the VA exams. Remember Talon, this is YOUR money, money you are entitled to because you worked for it, put your life on the line for your country, and are entitled to it. When my mom had her appeal hearing, the judge had the nerve to criticize her for filing for unemployment after she was terminated from her ten year job. (My mom has scerloderma, diabetes, etc). Basically the judge said well, here you filed for unemployment after you were terminated, saying you could work, right after that you filed for ssdi, stating you were disabled. He made a few other comments and when her attorney just sat there, i couldnt take it. I said, Excuse me, your HONOR, may i give a statement in support of my mother? He went through all the usual questions, whats your name, etc. I said, Sir, my mother was terminated from her job because of her disabilities, she had NO OTHER INCOME, of course she filed unemployment, shes never claimed unemployment before in her life, she filed for it so she wouldnt starve to death while she was waiting for her disability benefits, and she was and is willing to TRY to work, but NO ONE will hire her with her conditions!! This was quite a few years back, about 8 I think, the judge and her attorney sat there and stared at me for a few minutes, and did some more back and forth. When the decision came, she had won. 

I had to see both Mental and Physical Docs for the SSDI Exams. They were alot easier to deal with and more understanding then the VA C&Ps. I was in the Physical Exam for maybe 20 Mins and Mental Exam for 2 hours. I was approved in 2 months on my first try. Just go in there be honest, and all the Evidence will speak for itself. I have so many Health Issues that the SSDI only approved off of PTSD and Bone Issues. Said I was so far off, they did not even look at my Crohns, TBI or other health issues. Good luck and keep us posted bud. God Bless!!!

Thanks, so it sounds like a 'toned down' version of the VA exams, which I can handle.  Sorry, slow replies may be the norm for me for the next couple weeks while I await my migraine shots.  I just got back from the ER, had to get a Toradol shot for either my shoulder or back, the didn't seem to care which was really the problem.  The female doc seemed more interested in playing grab ass with her much younger and better looking male attendants and talking about her own arthritis.

Talon, I'm sorry that happened to you, and I hope you feel better soon. Did this happen at the vamc, or a private hospital?