VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Copies of C&P Exam Results Must Now Be Requested from Your RO?

Rate this question

lotzaspotz

Question

This is interesting and unfortunate, if true.  My husband had another C&P exam yesterday. It was at a VA office in town dedicated to these exams, but not at the VAMC.  While it was going on and I was waiting in the lobby, I asked the receptionist for the form to complete to get a copy of it, as I've always done.  She replied, and the examiner later concurred when I asked him the same thing, that the VA nationwide has implemented a new policy.  Copies of exam results must now be requested directly from the RO, and will not be available until after a claim is decided.  VAMC's will no longer provide copies to veterans.  You can guess what's going to happen (or more likely, not happen) if veterans have to jump through this brand new hoop to get medical information that rightfully belongs to them in reference to their claims and appeals.

Has anyone else heard this?  I'm wondering how the HIPAA laws impact this.  Our Congressman is also an M.D., and I'm ready to contact him, but I'd first like to get my facts straight.  I asked about accessing the information on ebenefits, but they told me to expect a change in that, but they didn't know how that was all going to shake out.  

Edited by lotzaspotz

i didn't say it was for a pysch exam. i merely pointed out that the va supposedly has a strict policy on releasing mental health exam before a decision is made.

"Mental health exams" should require a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist, I would think.  Where I come from, that equates to a psych exam. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Lot,

I understand that the VA has there rules about the C&P and As I understand the VA tells the Contractor of the C&P  such as the QTC Examining the C&P's Not to give the veteran copies of the exam until the VA has made a decision on the claim.

This is what my QTC Examiner mention to me, now it use to be different if the VA did the C&P.We could go get it in a week or so after the exam.

Maybe yours was at a VA office Downtown  but it could have been a  VA contracted C&P?.....like the lockheed-Martin QTC?

I ask the VA about getting a copy  of the  QTC Exam and they mention the same old thing  '' We can't get a copy of the C&P until a decision has been made'',

However I did go to the VBA (Veterans Benefits Administration  and they got me a copy of the exam.....but I'm not sure if a decision was made the day I got it or not?

a few days later I got my decision.

I think I'd like an answer to whether C&P exam reports are subject to HIPAA.  If they are, that will solve much of the problem.  That's what I'm going to ask my Congressman who is an M.D. and a Navy veteran to find out.

Thank you all.

• HadIt.com Elder

me too lot, if you find out let us know.

&Good luck on your hubbys claim I hope you guys get a decision soon and all that retro & you guys can finally live your life as you please.

Thanks

................Buck

Bless you, Buck -- and everyone here!  I will certainly let you know if I get a response and if so, what it is, whatever the outcome.