IG Report: VA Has Been Shredding Documents Needed for Veterans' Claims

Rate this question

gs106

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I read about the VA Shredding the other day and started thinking about the number of times over recent years, that we hear about Postal Workers being found to have a 1/2 ton of mail in their house or in the trunk of their car. Forget about the Thieves wanting Gift Cards from Xmas Mail, just regular everyday mail deliveries.

When incompetent employees feel their overworked and unable to catch up, fearing a reprimand or worse, they do things to hide their incompetence. Add poor or lax supervision, the problem snowballs.

I don't believe a VA Rating Dept employee starts out to screw Vets, by shredding documents. Unlike private or government officials trying to hide malfeasant behavior.

Quite possibly, the VA employee is an example of the "Peter Principle," he/she has reached or been promoted to their "level of Incompetence." Add lack of or poor supervision, Vet Claims suffer.

Semjper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Now I'd say that's a CUE.

The VA should ask the veterans of these RO to  come forward and check their C-FILE anything missing  then VA should consider the veterans Records has been shredded   and give them veteran's an automatic 100%

jmo

.................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

I 'd bet the VA Employee's don't get their own records shredded!,

They may have been told to shreead  but I can just about imangine if ts their records  They don't shread them.(Hell No)

The Veterans from these RO should go in check there C-file If their records are not there   FILE A COMPLAINT.

be a good time to do that.

This is one reason I always tell 1151 or FTCAers to get an IMO and then get a lawyer Buck.

I had no IMO nor any lawyer when I won my FTCA and Sec 1151 claims.

I had studied enough cardio and neurology to prepare a very adequate wrongful death case, and the  Regional VA counsel ordered a Peer Review within months of getting my SF 95.The review supported all of my charges. RC wanted to begin  negotiations with me then(mid 1995) but then

the RC and the Peer Review doc 'disappeared' along with the actual report.I had to start from day one with the General Counsel,sending them all the evidence again but without that critical report.That's OK the GC settled the FTCA with me and then after a 1151 denial, at my RO and a brief battle, that was awarded too,.....in 2003 when I re opened for AO DMII death (only because my daughter insisted I do that-I didnt want to deal with them again )I ordered my C file and the report was the last thing in the stack. Even OMLA VA told me it has Never existed.

OMLA Office of Medical Legal. (They also had a copy of it too but lied to me and said they didnt)

I dont think that report would have mysteriously disappeared during the FTCA/1151 claims if I had a lawyer.

The problems with shredding is trying to determine what they did SHRED,that the claimant had sent to them,.

I have over 20 years of both PC and hard copy of everything I have ever sent to them and always used USPS with a tracking slip.

Also what might appear to be missing from a C file is something a vet rep said to a vet, 'I will send that in to them', and then maybe the rep never did.

It seems to me that someone should lose their job over this sort of behavior...